PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a 3 PC network

David Rogers
10-29-2007, 07:53 AM
Hi all,

I was looking for some pointers in approaching the setting up of a 3 Pc network.

I currently have a network all set up (running PM) across 2 PCs, using a crossover cable.

But I am considering adding a 3rd PC, (that will be dedicated to running the PM EICAS screen).

Can anyone recommend a good switch / router, and also, what is involved in the set-up when moving from a 'crossover cable' based network to a switch based network ?

Many thanks in advance for any pointers!

Trevor Hale
10-29-2007, 08:01 AM
Hi David,

In essence you should be able to replace the crossover cables with straight through cables directly into the ports on the switch. And shouldn't have to change anything. You will just have to pick a new IP address for the 3rd PC. and set the gateway the same as you did on each of the other 2 pc's.

Best regards

Trev.

PS I would Buy a Linksys switch/router before I would buy a dlink.

Good luck.

Trev

Tomlin
10-29-2007, 08:46 AM
PS I would Buy a Linksys switch/router before I would buy a dlink.

Good luck.

Trev

...I can second that- My dlink didnt last too long but it could have been a bad batch of routers.

David Rogers
10-29-2007, 09:29 AM
Great news - that sounds like something even I could manage :)

I shall get checking out Linksys on eBay right away!

Thanks,

JBaymore
10-29-2007, 10:51 AM
I'm using a Cisco Systems 8 port switch. Works fine.

best,

..................john

David Rogers
10-29-2007, 12:13 PM
Hi,

Just bought a switch and 3 network ethernet cables;

I too went for a Cisco 8 port'er! There was only 1 Linksys available at the time in the UK and the seller's feedback was poor. The price and spec was right for the Cisco so went forit.

I'll let you know how I get on in linking this up with my 2 existing PCs.... then need to find another cheap P4 !

Trevor Hale
10-29-2007, 12:44 PM
I'm using a Cisco Systems 8 port switch. Works fine.

best,

..................john

LOL John... Cisco Owns Linksys :)

Trevor Hale
10-29-2007, 12:48 PM
Hi,

Just bought a switch and 3 network ethernet cables;

I too went for a Cisco 8 port'er! There was only 1 Linksys available at the time in the UK and the seller's feedback was poor. The price and spec was right for the Cisco so went forit.

I'll let you know how I get on in linking this up with my 2 existing PCs.... then need to find another cheap P4 !

Perfect, Cisco is high end Linksys, so this should be easy as pie for you. The only trick is if you want those computers to access the internet, you will need to do an "IPCONFIG /ALL" from the dos prompt of the windows machine connected to the internet, and write down the "DNS" Ip address and add this to the machines on your switch. under the DNS tab in the same place you changed the ip addresses.

if you don't do this, you just won't be able to search the internet from those computers.

Let us know how it goes.

Trev

David Rogers
10-29-2007, 01:06 PM
Excellent - Thanks Trev - I copied that advice into my 'scratchpad' to refer to once the box comes!

As always, much appreciated.