PDA

View Full Version : confused

mrdon
10-25-2007, 08:29 PM
I am just starting to try building a switch panel. I have x-plane, flight sim-x. What i want to do first is just wire some switches for landing lights,landing gear switch.My question is this. which board would I start off with. I can wire the switches. Do I also have to know programing or can I just flip the switch and let x-plane's assignment take care of it as I pick out the use? Hope this makes sense.

Michael Carter
10-25-2007, 09:58 PM
There are quite a few boards that will allow you to do what you are trying to do. Before spending the money, ask yourself how far you are going to get into this.

IUf all you're after is a simple control panel for a few functions, any of the Hagstrom boards make for a good start.

Keystrokes are easily assigned with included simple software.

If you might want to take this along a lot farther down the road aways, there are a lot of boards out there t investigate.

mrdon
10-26-2007, 04:27 PM
There are quite a few boards that will allow you to do what you are trying to do. Before spending the money, ask yourself how far you are going to get into this.

IUf all you're after is a simple control panel for a few functions, any of the Hagstrom boards make for a good start.

Keystrokes are easily assigned with included simple software.

If you might want to take this along a lot farther down the road aways, there are a lot of boards out there t investigate.
Thanks a lot for the reply, At the present I have all the CH Products. Not sure really just how far I'll go, on fixed income so have to build a lot of stuff I have. Also I am not into jets at all. All my time in Air Force was working on and flying on C-47, A-26 and KB-50's. Although 72 years young old fashion in flying. Like to see the props. I'm even looking at a way to hook up one of those air fresh things if I can get a exhaust smell and have it go off when I flip the start button on the engine. Smell vision hows that.
Again thanks for help and talk to you later.

David Rogers
10-26-2007, 04:42 PM
Hi Mr Don,

An alternative option for you is :-

http://www.chproducts.com/retail/mfp.html

With this unit, you can "build" your own control panel, locate the buttons wherever you want, and assign any of the FS controls to the buttons.

Could be a good starting point, to extend your simulation.

Regards,

ivar hestnes
10-26-2007, 04:46 PM
Or you could just hack a joystick.

If you have a saitek x-52, you have several buttons and pots that can be assigned in FS for whatever you like:)

And you can still be able to use the joysticks throttle and rudder/elevator/aileron

:)

magicaldr
10-26-2007, 08:01 PM
Another option to consider is hacking an old keyboard, there are some articles floating about on the web about this. It also has the benefit of being a cheap option over custom interface boards.

AndyT
10-26-2007, 10:26 PM
Smell-o-vision!
Very cool idea. Use an ion air cleaner to give you an ozone type smell... Never thought of that.