PDA

View Full Version : 737 Throttle Qaudrant question...

SimSimmer
10-23-2007, 12:05 AM
Hey Guys,

I'm interested in the exact and precise measurements for the levers the 737 TQ ie. Speed brake, flaps, parking brake, etc. I'm thinking this is more a question for the guys with the real TQ. However, if anyone has any info on this or could point me in the right direction I would really appreciate your help. BTW, I have done a few searches and found everything but this info.

In addition to the above dimensions I would also like the measurements for the metal guides (is that what there called; LOL) for the flaps, engine start. and spd. brake.

Also, where can I get my hands on the "seven panel" design plans for the thrust levers. I've seen a few but they are the four panel or three panel type for a different design than what I am planning to do.

Well, for a guy who hardly post, I sure said a mouthful tonight... LOL

Thanks in advance guys,

Ian

SimSimmer
10-26-2007, 11:37 AM
Anyone?.....

ak49er
10-26-2007, 01:30 PM
I beleive you can find the schematics on the download section of this site, additionally, if you search the forum posts here, you will find a link to a French language (France/Quebec)? website that has additional annotations as well as assembly instructions and "work-arounds." I was able to translate this page using the Google BETA translator, simple, but the translations are loose at best so it becomes an intellectual adventure. Also search the forums at FDS, and when preparing to build look over the plans several times, it is not always what it seems, typos, omissions, additions. These are usually not "as-built' plans but more drafts, and the authors seem to have found solutions during the build process. Don't get tied up on every minute detail (85% Rule), don't be afraid to modify the design to fit your own need, and most of all have fun.

SimSimmer
10-26-2007, 06:21 PM
ak49er - Thanks for the reply and good advice, much appreciated.

I have seen both the French/canadian (Allain's and Rudy's) sites you have mentioned and they are excellent, in as far as, craftmanship, detail and information. I have also checked out FDS and Opencockpits and have learned quite a lot in regards to building the TQ. However, the design that I have in mind, or am trying to copy rather, sort of demands the chunkyness and thickness of the original levers particularly the spd brake and flap levers and how they connect to the circular dics to which they are attached . Of the many builds that I have seen and learned from, the builders had made compromises in this area, my guess is that, these compromises were made to accomodate design.

I just sort of figured that someone may have had this information handy (not being anal, I promise) and wouldn't mind helping me out. If I am not able to aquire this information I will indeed heed your advice and more than likely try to judge the dimensions by studying pictures of the real thing.

Thanks again

Ian

SimSimmer
10-27-2007, 07:09 PM
Any help is appreciated.

737NUT
10-27-2007, 08:29 PM
I can tell you what i did different from them. I used slide pots instead of gears. Much more simple and cheaper. I also made the 'arms' longer so they stick down below the TQ level to allow for attachment of servo motors and/or slide pots. Very similar to simparts TQ design.
Rob

SimSimmer
10-29-2007, 08:15 PM
Hey Rob,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, that is exactly what I am thinking of doing. I am also using a bigger center axle and less panels. Hence, the reason for the more realistic hardware. Again, if anyone out there has this info ... I'm still interested.

also

I have heard of a company that makes the knobs for the 737 TQ, does anyone know of this company or if they are still around?

I am going to do a mock-up of the TQ using foam core board so as to check my dimensions and placement (as I am not working from design drawings) and also to anticipate any problems in the actual build. I will post pictures of the mock up as I go but need the hardware measurements to get started. Hey, where are all the guys with the real TQs....LOL.

Thanks guys

Ian

mauriceb
10-29-2007, 09:00 PM
ak49er - Thanks for the reply and good advice, much appreciated.

I just sort of figured that someone may have had this information handy (not being anal, I promise) and wouldn't mind helping me out. If I am not able to aquire this information I will indeed heed your advice and more than likely try to judge the dimensions by studying pictures of the real thing.

Thanks again

Ian

Have you checked markuspilot.com? I think you will find most or all the dimensions you need there

http://www.markuspilot.com/

Maurice

SimSimmer
10-29-2007, 10:45 PM
Maurice,

Yes, I actually did check out that site and got some very useful information from it. If you notice though there are no measurements for the levers, metal guides etc. BTW, I also checked your site out as well, great work. Thanks for the reply.

Ian

ivar hestnes
10-30-2007, 12:35 PM
I have heard of a company that makes the knobs for the 737 TQ, does anyone know of this company or if they are still around?

Ian

http://www.simparts.de

mauriceb
10-30-2007, 02:28 PM
Maurice,

Yes, I actually did check out that site and got some very useful information from it. If you notice though there are no measurements for the levers, metal guides etc. BTW, I also checked your site out as well, great work. Thanks for the reply.

Ian

Ian,

If I can just give you some advice or rather some observations I made, I think you are placing way too much importance in the exact dimensions. In my throttle, I literally took guesses for everything by just looking at pictures from Airliners.net. I did not know about Markus Pilot and I agonized over these dimensions while trying to measure parts of the throttle in the pictures and comparing them to parts with a known size in the same picture.

Strangely enough, I came pretty close & the end result on my throttle is definitely not exact, but it is now more than close enough for me. I don't even think about the dimensions anymore and I really could not care less that they are not exact.

All the handles feel right to me when I use them and in the end, that is what really matters (to me at least). Now, I know that everyone is different and to some, this would be heresy. But I really think Markus Pilot has all the dimensions you really need unless nothing but an exact replica will satisfy you.

That's a decision that only you can make, but I just wanted to point out that many of the things that tear you apart when building will fade away as distant trivial memories once 'the thing' is finished. It did in my case and I can't believe now that I wasted so much time on so many trivial details.

Having said that, if I was to build another assembly of some sort, I'm sure I would still agonize over some details, but maybe not as much now :-)

Maurice

Michael Carter
10-30-2007, 03:46 PM
I used a lot of photos and extrapolation of measurements as well as some dimensions sent to me and drawings by Delta for mine. It's not 100% exact, but it's close enough to fool 727 pilots.

SimSimmer
10-31-2007, 11:55 PM
Hey Maurice,

Upon your urging I went back and checked markuspilot's site again, and your right, he indeed does have the dimensions for the levers, not all, but enough so that I can make some decent judgements..... I had actually downloaded dimensions for the throttle stand's height, width and depth from his site and somehow missed all the other stuff. Thanks again to you and all who replied.

Now I have another question regarding the levers.

In regards to the Spd. brake and Flap levers....are these levers somehow spring loaded ie. I imagine they have to be lifted out of the slots on the metal guides. Do they just moves up and down on a shaft manually or is there some kind of spring loaded device built into the levers?

Thanks guys

Ian

737NUT
11-01-2007, 12:23 AM
Yes, both the SPD Brake and Flaps lever are spring loaded in the real AC

vitabutch
01-01-2008, 10:02 AM
Have you checked markuspilot.com? I think you will find most or all the dimensions you need there

http://www.markuspilot.com/

Maurice

This site is great, however, the most of the measurements are absolutely inacciurate. If we talk about TQ, the centre axle positiong is totally wrong. I am making 3D model of the TQ that I plan to build. I have a real AMM - taking some scale drawings from there. Unfortunately they dont match the measurements from mentioned site.

I asked for help from couple of people who's got the real one, but no reply so far.

I asked them to help me with this dimensions.
http://picasaweb.google.ru/vitabutch/Boeing737/photo#5150506075919276082
The schema or the 737 classic TQ, not exactly NG type. Its slightly differs from NG with levers design. All the rest is pretty much the same.
In fact to complete my drawings I need to know only trim wheel shaft position against TQ body. With this I can calculate the rest from scale AMM drawings.

Notice - TQ upper-down view is not the box shape! Most of commercially available TQ's costs a fortune, but the level of realism is far from desired - those are box shaped.

vitabutch
01-01-2008, 10:11 AM
Hey Maurice,
In regards to the Spd. brake and Flap levers....are these levers somehow spring loaded ie. I imagine they have to be lifted out of the slots on the metal guides. Do they just moves up and down on a shaft manually or is there some kind of spring loaded device built into the levers?

Thanks guys

Ian

Speed brake lever is spring loaded in the lever assembly. But speedbrake detends are loaded in the forward speedbrake drum (connected with lever by 2 rods) on arm detend and flight detend. Off position is fixed by the lever in the forwardmost position.

dnoize
01-01-2008, 02:30 PM
In fact to complete my drawings I need to know only trim wheel shaft position against TQ body. With this I can calculate the rest from scale AMM drawings.

If you show me a drawing of what measurements you want i can make pictures of my throttle.

Stef

vitabutch
01-01-2008, 07:33 PM
If you show me a drawing of what measurements you want i can make pictures of my throttle.

Stef

Please take a look on the picture. The dimensions 1 to 6, but 2,3,4 are the most important.

Better quality here http://picasaweb.google.com/vitabutch/Boeing737/photo#5150654196456413250

Btw most of the TQ's I've seen in the projects doesnt have 5 as zero.

Cheers, Vitaly

dnoize
01-01-2008, 08:33 PM
vitaly,

i will make the pictures tomorrow and post them here.

You seem to have the maintanance manuals. Do you have it in electronic form ? I would love to have a copy of the throttle part. Will help me alot taking apart and motorizing my throttles.

Stef

Radar
01-02-2008, 12:56 PM
This is quality work. Compared to mine anyways. This gentlemen did a Awsome job. The metal work is impressive:p

Everybody here has done great TQ work.

http://www.737ngproject.be/throttle.htm

Mike

Michael Carter
01-02-2008, 01:16 PM
I've seen that site before. That is a masterpiece of engineering.

vitabutch
01-02-2008, 01:20 PM
I've seen that site before. That is a masterpiece of engineering.

...but not the masterpiece of replication. Sorry to be boring :)

And motorization is done not in the best way. The best way not to have a solid linkage from lever to the motor like gears, chains, etc... We need to have a friction type movement transition. Like a car clutch. This is what I plan for my TQ. Will share all drawings here as soon it will be ready.

Cheers, V

Michael Carter
01-02-2008, 01:29 PM
I noticed a few things that weren't quite accurate, but overall it gives a great impression.

His internal engineering is far more complex than mine. My trim wheels are stationary. Maybe the next build will be different. Did I just say that? :roll:

No, the "next build" will be a real throttle if that ever happens.

Jackpilot
01-02-2008, 01:44 PM
Ian said:
"In regards to the Spd. brake and Flap levers....they have to be lifted out of the slots on the metal guides. Do they just moves up and down on a shaft manually or is there some kind of spring loaded device built into the levers? "

Here is one way to do it, all metal:
The rod B slides through the block A which is bolted on the lever.
B is lifted to disengage from the dented quadrant and the spring brings it back down...easy cheap.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c29/jackpilot/springloading.jpg

dnoize
01-02-2008, 05:00 PM
Please take a look on the picture. The dimensions 1 to 6, but 2,3,4 are the most important.

Better quality here http://picasaweb.google.com/vitabutch/Boeing737/photo#5150654196456413250

Btw most of the TQ's I've seen in the projects doesnt have 5 as zero.

Cheers, Vitaly

Ok, here goes. Measurements have been taken with the sidecovers off, as in your drawing:

1: 222 mm
2: not taken measurements as im not sure if you want them taken from the center of the axle or from the side (as in your drawing.) See the picture to get an idea.
3: same as 2
4. difficult to take size as this part is not horizantal as it seems to be on your drawing. please specify where exactly you want the measurement to be taken
5: 15 mm
6: 480 mm

and here are the pictures (i made these quick quick i can make more accurate ones with a metal ruler this weekend):

measurement 1

http://home.casema.nl/pago/t1.jpg

measurement 2:

http://home.casema.nl/pago/t2.jpg

measurement 3:

http://home.casema.nl/pago/t3.jpg

measurement 4:

http://home.casema.nl/pago/t4.jpg

measurement 5.

http://home.casema.nl/pago/t5.jpg

dodiano
01-02-2008, 07:09 PM
Lovelly 737 Quad!!

Regards,

Roberto

dnoize
01-02-2008, 07:20 PM
im very happy with it too...

allthough it will be a pain to motorize it.

Stef

Schematicsman
08-20-2009, 05:58 PM
hi there Would I be able to get a copy of the maintenance manuals for 737 TQ?

i'M VERY FASCINATED ABOUT IT AND CAN'T WAIT TO BUILD ONE...

THANK YOU