PDA

View Full Version : which Stepper motor?

bindook
10-05-2007, 07:44 AM
Hi all,
i am curious if there are any Ozzies using the opencockpits USB DCMotors card for there trim wheel? If so which one & is it from ****smith or Jaycar?

Thanks
Michael

brianwilliamson
10-05-2007, 03:23 PM
I have not bothered at this stage to do the trim wheel, as there is enough problems getting the more important parts of the software running, so I kind of said "leave that til another day ". Let me know how it works out Michael.
Cheers..................Brian W.

Westozy
10-05-2007, 08:21 PM
Hi all,
i am curious if there are any Ozzies using the opencockpits USB DCMotors card for there trim wheel? If so which one & is it from ****smith or Jaycar?

Thanks
Michael

Hi Mike,
I'm still wondering why you want to use steppers. A direct drive reversable DC motor will adjust the trim wheels with plenty of torque and speed, the trim indicators will adjust the trim pot position through a mechanical reduction drive. Trimming has to be felt through the stick, as you know, you have to feel when the plane is in trim. If you have a stepper motor driving trim wheels, how will you calibrate and synchronize pot position? I still don't understand the desire for all of this complication, I think I need a better understanding of the operation of OC trim inputs/outputs and steppers in general. I can fit a stepper motor to your TQ with an appropriate reduction drive but how much torque can steppers provide, will it be enough to provide rapid trim wheel turn. I have an Airbus video and have seen the real thing operate.
In short, I'm not sold on your plans. (yet?)

Gwyn

brianwilliamson
10-05-2007, 08:53 PM
Gooday Gwyn, as far as I can tell there is no feeling on the Airbus stick as to the effect of the trim wheel. It is automatic and as far as the control stick, it remains in the middle of the range, which is of course completely different to what you and I do in real aircraft. That is providing you are using an Airbus in FS. If you are using the 737 model in FS 2004 as I am, then you need to use the trim wheel. So again it depends how far you need to take the realism factor, and what is practical for one's own preferences.
Cheers...................Brian W.

Westozy
10-05-2007, 10:10 PM
Hi Brian, as you may have guessed, I am building Michaels TQ. I am always focussed on simplicity of build and operation of any part. At the end of the day I'll fit any motor he wants to the TQ no prob. Thanks for the info re- sidestick operation, always good to learn more.

Cheers Gwyn