PDA

View Full Version : Advice on projector

JBaymore
10-04-2007, 05:19 PM
I am planning on purchasing a projector unit for my simpit PLUS for use in my business. (It is the business use that justifies the simpit use.) The unit I have chosen below FOR SURE will meet my needs for Powerpoint type presentations of ceramic art images. So the business use is taken care of.

The other situation is that the projector will spend time "stored" in my pit for use as the front captain's side windscreen view ;). I have a specific size for the projection that I need to to accomplish and a specific throw distance that I cannot exceed. That was a prime criteria for the selection of this particular unit.

The issue in the pit is the "short throw" I have available in my "compact" pit layout. I will have between 4 feet 6 inches and a maximum of 5 feet for the throw. From the image size calculators I have found for this unit, it will give me a 32" wide image at 4'6" with no zoom and a 38" wide image with 1.2 zoom. This 38" wide format is the perfect size for what I need. 32" is too narrow. I am not yet sure if I can "squeeze out" the 5' distance... the 4'6" is for sure.

The unit I am looking at is the Epson Powerlite 77C. 1024 x 768 XGA native, 2200 lumens, 400:1 contrast, 3LCD $630 delivered, new.

Any thoughts? What is the exact impact of using the zoom function?

The one alternate choice I have found to deal with the short throw is the Sanyo PLC-XW55. It gives a 34" wide image at the 4'6" throw. It has NO zoom function though.

Again.....your thoughts?

best,

........................john

PS: Budgetary issues do not allow the use of the really short throw [projectors on the market that are in the $2500 range. We're talking well under $1000.

737NUT
10-04-2007, 05:54 PM
I have a lens that could be attached the projector that would double your screen size. It is a video telephoto lens by Olympus.
Rob

JBaymore
10-04-2007, 06:22 PM
Rob,

Thanks for the reply. Where did you get that, and what did the unit cost?

best,

................john

Westozy
10-04-2007, 07:45 PM
I would suggest a higher contrast ratio, this affects the quality of your dark picture, eg night flying. If it is only a side view projector it might not matter so much. If you have three projectors with different contrast ratios I think you will notice it.

Gwyn

QF6228
10-04-2007, 08:02 PM
Some people may find this site very useful.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projection-calculator.cfm

spitfire9
10-05-2007, 01:18 AM
I used that projector calculator (very handy by the way,, Thanks) and decided on the Viewsonic Pj358. Seems to have a fairly short throw and according to the calculator will give me the screen size I need for the space available.

JBaymore
10-05-2007, 09:32 AM
Some people may find this site very useful.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projection-calculator.cfm

QF,

Thanks. I already was using that site. That's how I picked the ones I did.... the projection image size calculator there is excellent.

best,

...............john

JBaymore
10-05-2007, 09:40 AM
I would suggest a higher contrast ratio, this affects the quality of your dark picture, eg night flying.

Gwyn,

It will be the front windscreen view and it will always be a single projector. No room (or budget) for more. Left side window will (eventually) be LCD screen. Right side same... or none at all. (My pit models only captain's side.....1/2 a cockpit. ;) )

From my research, it seems that all of the lower priced LCD projectors have that same roughly 400:1 contrast ratio. You have to go to DLP projectors to get the typical 1000:1 that they seem to exhibit.

But in searching, the cheaper DLP projectors did not have the short throw capabilities I need to get the image size. I was already concerned about that C ratio.... but from the currently manufactured projectors...... they seem to be moving the cheaper ones away from large shorter throw image size. Probably as they start having more "specialty" short throw units available ....... that they can charge a LOT more for.

It seems to be a "damned if I do, damned if I don't" situation. Get one... not get the other. Either / Or.

best,

.................john

JBaymore
10-05-2007, 06:19 PM
I used that projector calculator (very handy by the way,, Thanks) and decided on the Viewsonic Pj358. Seems to have a fairly short throw and according to the calculator will give me the screen size I need for the space available.

I would suggest a higher contrast ratio, this affects the quality of your dark picture, eg night flying.

Spitfire and Gwyn,

Took a little of BOTH of your advice... and just ordered a Viewsonic PJ358. Larger image possibility with short throw, and a 500:1 contrast ratio...... which is the best I've seen on LCD projectors. Spent a little more than the Epson (sigh)..... but the machine likely will work better.

With a single bounce mirror in my pit with this one... I think I can get an astromnomically better display than I originally intended (lean forward and sideways not see edges) ... and with no mirror.....still get better than the Epson 77C.

The trade off was 2000 lumens on the Viewsonic versus 2200 with the Epson. But my pit is fully enclosed ... including the projection area... so that should not be too much of an issue.

Now I can't wait til it arrives. For two reasons.... I'm doing a presentation for a state of NH art educator's conference next weekend in which I will use it...... and FINALLY getting the forward display in the pit off a 19" LCD screen.

Thanks for the advice guys.

best,

................john

Bob Reed
10-05-2007, 06:53 PM
I work with a number of 2000 lumen projectors.. You would not be able to tell the difference even in a sunlit room... And being enclosed you can probably run the projector in economy mode and almost double the life of the bulb....:D

737NUT
10-05-2007, 07:35 PM
Rob,

Thanks for the reply. Where did you get that, and what did the unit cost?

best,

................john

John,
Here is the link,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=170152921608&ssPageName=STRK:MEUS:IT&ih=007

JBaymore
10-05-2007, 07:50 PM
And being enclosed you can probably run the projector in economy mode and almost double the life of the bulb....:D

Bob,

I like THAT thought! That unit has an EXPENSIVE bulb...... way more than the Epson's (one thing AGAINST it).

best,

...................john

JBaymore
10-05-2007, 07:51 PM
John,
Here is the link,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=170152921608&ssPageName=STRK:MEUS:IT&ih=007

Rob, Thanks for the link. I'll file that for future reference in case I need to make things bigger. Hopefully the projector in the "stock" mode will do the job.

best,

.................john

ak49er
10-07-2007, 01:25 PM
I'm not sure what you guys are spending for your beamers, but Bizliquidation.com and govliquidation.com have great deals. I just got my third for 150.00. OF course they don't all match but I have only spent 375.00 for three projectors, I am recycling of course, and it frees up more money for other used goodies.

737NUT
10-07-2007, 02:37 PM
I'm not sure what you guys are spending for your beamers, but Bizliquidation.com and govliquidation.com have great deals. I just got my third for 150.00. OF course they don't all match but I have only spent 375.00 for three projectors, I am recycling of course, and it frees up more money for other used goodies.

Watch out on the PJ's from govliquidation!!! The last 2 i bought were inop/junk! They get rid of them for a reason, i took a chance thinking maybe a bulb. Oh well, live and learn.

Westozy
10-07-2007, 05:59 PM
I spent AUD$2,300 on a new High Definition Epson EMP-TW600 with a spare globe and it is used for dual purpose. My sim is down one end of a 6 metre games room and the other side of the sims projector screen is also our home theatre screen for watching movies. It's just a quick switch on the image reverse function and I also use the sims sound system, this works really good. It also helped me convince the missus that the spend was a good idea! The kids love the big picture and we limit the use to one movie a week to conserve lamp hours.

Gwyn

JBaymore
10-07-2007, 06:13 PM
ak49er,

Thanks for the lead. I'd be a bit leery of a surplus projector though... since the bulbs alone typically are 1/3 to half the price of the units. Sounds like you lucked out though....which is great.

The Epson Powerlite 77C I mentioned above is $599 direct from Epson at this point. The one I actually bought, the Viewsonic PJ358 (for the short throw capabilities), is $799 from Newegg. I could have gotten it about $100 cheaper online elsewhere... but the lower price was from some really "no name" type places. I was worried that what I would get would be a re-box, a repair/refurbish, or a scratch / dent from tham. I have dealt with NewEgg before and they are top notch.

But thanks for trying to save me some money. ;)

best,

....................john

JBaymore
10-14-2007, 12:24 AM
Thanks for the help guys.... here's the results:

http://www.mycockpit.org/photopost/showfull.php?photo=1843

best,

..............john :D

luisgordo
10-28-2007, 07:54 PM
Hi guys,

Just to drop my two cents on this one. I recently purchased a Viewsonic PJ458D, and I'm more than happy with it. It uses DLP tech, and as such care has to be taken to be sure the "rainbow effect" won't be a problem. The unit is also quite small and light (good for business use).

Thought it could help someone.

PS: It also works great for watching movies!!

PS2: I bought mine from Tigerdirect.com, and was quite well priced too (around $680). XVGA resolution (1024x768).