PDA

View Full Version : Whats the easiest way to control/emulate fs2004 functions

Simran737
09-28-2007, 11:53 PM
Hi,

I want to get a way from this damm Goflight remote software and to a lesser degree, Dowson's FSUIPC when it comes to assigning button and switch functions in fs2004, thru my client PM MCP to work EFIS things and from the main server where the game is, to work many of the default type functions. I just can't seem to be able to keep settings when using Gofight or FSUIPC. I have many real mods that have Goflight "guts" mounted behind them. Of course if I use the mouse or keyboard, everything works great, but who wants to fly like that.

I see these I/O boards and Phidgets and Haldstrum stuff and would rather use them along with my real mods, lightplates, buttons and switches than some of these plug and play copies of real mods/lightplates, like the expensive FDS or CPFlight EFIS (though I do have their great MCP). The MCP would be to much to wire up, but all these other simple units are great looking in a sim and pretty easy to wire to.

Which is the easiest and layman friendly type boards or units out there. Like I said, I can wire up real switches and buttons, but am not that great with creating custom software to work these things.

Thanks

Randy

Geremy Britton
09-29-2007, 05:02 AM
Hi,

I would definately consider a keyboard emmulation. There is a full tutorial on how to do it on google under flight keyboard emmulation. very easy to do for toggle and push buttons. basic soldering needed to wire the switches to the card. easy!

I don't know if you can wire rotary encoders to the keybaord card it would be nice if i knew if you can or not it would make my life a whole lot easier for sure. anyone out there using keyboard cards.

Hope that helps, :)

Simran737
09-29-2007, 12:06 PM
Hi,
Keyboard emul is not the way to go, given whats out there. Someone has to have bought someones boards that allow one to just wire up switches, buttons and rotorys, and make things work. What I want to see with one of those products is an easy pull down type menu/settings window, similar to FSUIPC or GoFlight, whereby you just pick and assign a function.
Randy

andarlite
09-29-2007, 12:49 PM
I've played around with these and they worked good:

http://www.lbodnar.dsl.pipex.com/joystick/

It's similiar to having 32 joystick buttons... just use FSUIPC or FS9/X assignment. Their USB so add as many cards as you need switches for.

You can't hook up a rotary encoder to it, but here's an alternative you can use.
http://www.mouser.com/catalog/specsheets/TW-700079.pdf
It's a pulse switch which only contacts in the direction of rotation. I haven't tried it yet, but several people have said it works great with that card.

Regards,
Henry