PDA

View Full Version : Need advise for GA panel

ddimm
09-26-2007, 04:19 PM
Hello All - I am building a C-172 panel using a 15" lcd monitor undocked with my instruments on it. I would like to mount the instrument lcd in my panel and use another piece of wood/plastic/metal with 2" circular holes for the individual instruments (steam gauges) to show through. I would like to know what people used for the black trim around the instrument and the glass. I see they are included with the SIMKITS products but you cannot order them separately. Any additional advise for the added realism of the C172 panel is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Trevor Hale
09-26-2007, 04:27 PM
Hi Dimm,

I used 1/4" MDF Routed, sanded and smoothed and then painted. I am sure others have done it differently.

Trev

Michael Carter
09-26-2007, 10:17 PM
This might be rather primitive, but the correct diameter rubber automotive vacuume hose sliced down the middle and pushed around the edge of the hole for a bezel would work too. It will depend on your panel thickness as to whether or not this would look right. The thicker the panel, the larger the diameter the hose would have to be, and then it would start looking a bit odd. It would probably work best with an aluminum MIP.

For the bezels I have to build I'm using PVC Type II plastic with pre-cut acrylic discs inserted into the hole. But airliner bezels are different than those found in a Cessna so this might not work either.