PDA

View Full Version : Dreamrider - first commercial low cost motion platform.

David Rogers
09-26-2007, 08:24 AM
Check out new News article on the front page of AVSIM, about the 'Dreamrider':

http://www.avsim.com/

Wow - I got to have one of these but I don't think they'd integrate well with a home cockpit! Think they're intended to be standalone. Still pretty amazing.

Prices around $2800 (£1450) ..... pretty reasonable!

David

AndyT
09-26-2007, 01:11 PM
I've seen this. It looks really good but its just not quite what I want. It's a redesigned Joyrider. I'm looking to add turbulance to my pit and this just won't do it.

David Rogers
09-26-2007, 04:34 PM
Yeah, I took a good look at it on their web-site - it is fantastic as a standalone device but I don't think it could be used in conjunction with the sort of 'pits that most of us are building. It certainly can't be looked at as a 'motion platform' - more of a 'motion seat'.

But still looks a heck of a lot of fun!

IanH1960
09-26-2007, 04:47 PM
These are a sort of extended set of flight controls. They aren't powered but are activated from the movement of the control stick (and the rudders I assume - perhaps not if you read the specs). As such there is no direct link between their motion and the aircraft motion other than the extent to which you would expect the control stick movement to match the aircraft movement. Maybe they tweak things a bit but that's pretty much what's going on I think.

It's difficult to see how it can deliver accurate force cueing which arises from the actual flight accelerations. eg if you are on the runway accelerating there is little happening with the flight controls but the pilot feels strong forward accel. Similarly with in-flight acceleration and deceleration especially in a fast jet - strong forcing effects that the control stick knows nothing about so can't really be cued accurately based only on stick movement. External movement effects such as turbulence, touch down bumps etc can't be cued for the same reasons. In the same vein you can't cue lateral force effects solely from roll angle..... etc etc. Not a "real" flight simulator, more a piece of gaming kit.

It's a nice looking piece of kit though - they should add some drive motors to it and tie it into some proper motion drive software. ;)

Ian

TronicGr
09-28-2007, 11:49 AM
It's a nice looking piece of kit though - they should add some drive motors to it and tie it into some proper motion drive software. ;)

Ian

Now you mentioned this, many months ago, even before this product comes out, his creator (Doc Holloway) asked me to design a motor kit for this hand moved motion thing, based on my cheap wiper motor idea....

Its general profile is indentical to joyrider, clearly a stealing copy of the original joyrider idea!! I don't know how Hardlock agreed on this... maybe alot of $$$?

Thanos

Tomlin
09-28-2007, 01:03 PM
Not to be a wet blanket, but I dont see how you could get much fun out of this type of device personally. What I'd really like to know is how often a person would get motion sickness from the movement not being properly worked out with the motion.

AndyT
09-28-2007, 09:51 PM
It works out more or less ok. Its not accurate motion at all, but it is WAY better than no motion at all.

CWFlightsim
09-29-2007, 03:18 AM
Yeah, I agree any motion is better than no motion at all, as long as the device stays uncovered and is treated like a gaming toy, as soon as a cover goes on to make the cockpit divorced from outside visual stimuli, computer driven motion cues must be used or you are going to need sick bags on board!
Nice web site though, however the sim is described as "full motion" which I thought related to 6 DOF not the 2 (or 3) that I can see!

kjg71
10-01-2007, 10:37 AM
Good find on this. I must say there appears to be quite a bit of $$ spent on this thing. I wish I had the funding this guy had!!

I need a hot model in an orange flight suit to show off my motion chair. :) Did like the cad model they have made..very polished.

Well, the design is really nice. It's very clean but a joyrider copy totally. It does appear to remove alot of tubing in favor of stronger material and what appears to be quickrealease counter weights.

Joyrider is a good design but really needs motors for the full potential. I can not speak from experience, but I am sure in "pilot oscillation mode", joyrider probably moves well, but $2800 seems steep for a non-powered version.

The site appears to focus alot on the Saitek controls linked to the electronics, but they are just standard controllers to your game. I wonder if you can use other ones then Saitek or if you can opt out of those to lower cost.

For my prototyping, I use wood and aluminum stock, but maybe powdercoated tubing cost that much...just seems high?

I always thought of the joyrider as a fighter jet only design, but I have seen Thanos add a wheel which could also support a yoke so I kind of appreciate the versitility of the design. I think dreamflyer is a good start to make joyrider better, but Thanos has pushed the envelope in this area the most.

This thing really needs motors. I kind of expected it to have it for that price.

Motors give you the ability to seperate the game controller from the frame as well as ability to use a yoke. I think that's a big plus

For game data....uhh well...no contest there.... motors are needed and this design can really shine when the system knows everything happening in the game.

Keep up the good work Thanos! For a DIY er your making absolutly the most progress I have seen to this design and your resource and knowledge sharing of what you have done has been appreciated by many I am sure.

Regards Kyle