PDA

View Full Version : Some pointers from you experienced builders requested

Tomlin
09-21-2007, 03:43 PM
Hi guys

Well, if everything goes as planned, I will be needing to have some of the following questions figured out over the next week as I get ready to build the MIP Stand and start bringing components together.

Ive always noticed that a large majority of builders place their pc's up front in the nose area behind the MIP. I plan to do this with the clients, but I intend to keep the FS Server/Instructor PC behind the pilot's seat at the instructor's station. This leads to some important issues:

a) Should I have all my interfacing cards connected to the server or the client(s)?

b) If the Interfacing cards are connected to the Server (which they are now- no problems) should I mount the cards nearest to their service area and use longer USB cables or mount them close to the PC they are connected to and use shorter USBs with longer wire harnesses to the service area?

I suspect that since the max recommended length is 16', then placing the components as close to their service area and using shorter wire is the best solution?

Trevor Hale
09-21-2007, 03:55 PM
Eric,

My Pc's are all mounted behind the Copilot in a Rack. I have none at the front of the sim at all. I run a 25' cable to my projector and 2 16' ers to the PM Displays. All my interfaces are located at the front of the sim though, however keep in mind I am not using any USB interfaces, but if I was, I would locate a Powered HUB at the front of the sim for the Interfaces.

I would connect them all to the server..

Trev

Bob Reed
09-21-2007, 04:01 PM
I would place the interface stuff in the front of the sim to keep the wires as short as possible. You are going to end up with hundreds of wires no use in making them any longer then need be. Just asking for trouble IMHO.

Tomlin
09-21-2007, 04:28 PM
Okay guys, this is what I needed to hear. Im open to other's suggestions as well, but the USB powered hub is only a matter of time. Soon as I get a chance it will be ordered.

I use RealVNC now so there's no need really for the machines to be all right there with me except for to turn them on, and per my father in law he's and I will just make an electrical panel that mounts at the instructor's station to power those on if my network cards are not wake on LAN capable (havent checked yet).

Bob Reed
09-21-2007, 04:32 PM
Eric, I don't think it is as much a network card thing as it is a mother board thing. Nic cards are cheap so if that is all it is a new card will fix it. Most of the newer (last 3 years) machines will wake on lan.. VNC is a great tool I use it in my cockpit as well.

JBaymore
09-21-2007, 05:36 PM
a) Should I have all my interfacing cards connected to the server or the client(s)?

Eric,

There is a concept called "distributed computing". Basically it means spread out the load on as many processors as possible. So if your interfacing and software allow... spread out the load as much as you can so that the "weakest link in the chain" (the most overloaded computer) does not pull down the overall performance of the pit.

best,

................john

Westozy
09-21-2007, 07:47 PM
Hi Eric,

I mounted my PC inside my sim frame and the FMC panel swings open on hinges to enable access to the cd trays and start button. I thought this was a good idea and it looks great BUT! I did all of this work long before the addition of 2 x 400 watt subwoofers to my seats. Now my take off roll shakes the whole frame and PC aswel, it can't be good for it. My new super turbo GTS quad core thingy PC will be mounted away from the frame like Trevors. I'm thinking about fitting a small TV in the console box instead - inflight entertainment, at the moment I have to lean way out of the seat to see the football scores!
Something to think about...

Gwyn

AndyT
09-21-2007, 08:39 PM
Another consideration is weight and balance. In the real world we have to figure this out everytime we want to go flying.
In a sim it matters if you plan on adding motion to it later. All that hardware is not weightless so you will need to decide the best way to balance the load physically as well as from a data point of view. Since I've built a GA pit, I put everything up front 'under the hood' so to speak to help offset my weight on the drive system.