PDA

View Full Version : Tuning multiple VOR's

ryanf
09-12-2007, 04:30 AM
Hi Roberto,

I am trying to understand how multiple VOR's can be used via the MCDU RAD NAV page and the VOR display in the ND.

In my PM software, it seems that only the VOR and course selected on NAV1 are displayed with a course and course deviation. The VOR on NAV2 only gives me the ADF pointer.

I guess it is not possible to show two courses and two course deviations on the ND at the same time? If that is the case, how is it possible to use two VOR's to fix your position?

I know the Airbus has much more advanced navigation systems also but I am trying to do simple VOR navigation at the moment.

thanks for your help,
Ryan.

Michael Carter
09-12-2007, 08:23 AM
Using the RMI VOR needle, you will need to know bearing to the station for a fix. This can be as simple as using a course line to the station that is a crossing airway from the airway you are currently flying.

As you approach the crossing airway the needle on the RMI will slowly fall to point at the bearing to the station. When the dial reads the same as what the chart says is that bearing you are there.

DME will also be handy and you can check the milage of the crossing fix with what the chart says it should be for where you think you are.

Combined with the primary HSI/DME information, you can figure you position pretty closely.

Certain legs of flights I fly have to be navigated in this fashion, as some airways do not have a direct nav-aid out in front of me and I don't have all of the fancy FMC equipment aboard the 727.\

A good example of this type of navigation occurs on a trip from LFPG to LOWW. After departing KUDES intersection after TRA, I'm pretty much on my own on UN871 until NEMAL at UL725. I have to use KPT, MAH, and SBG to cross check my position along UN871 usung both the CDI on the HSI and the RMI VOR needle along with both DME's. Once crossing NEMAL, I again have a nav-aid out in front of me at SNU.

You will need charts for this type of navigation unless your PFD has all of the chart information displayed. (?)

ryanf
09-12-2007, 08:50 AM
Thanks for that info.

This is indeed what I am trying to do - however, my problem is that I don't know how to get a course deviation indication for more than one VOR at a time in the Airbus GC.

So if I am flying a VOR radial from a VOR station and I want to turn at an intersection between this radial and another radial to or from another VOR, I need to be able to manually tune both VOR's at the same time and select courses for both, then have a course deviation displayed for both so I can track the first one and then watch for interception of the second one to know when to turn to track it instead.

In my PM ND (VOR mode), I seem to only get a course indication and deviation for the VOR I tune for NAV1 via the MCDU.

Any ideas?

thanks,
Ryan.

Trevor Hale
09-12-2007, 08:54 AM
On the EFIS Panel on each side of the autopilot panel, you have VOR1 and VOR2 switches as well as ADF1 and ADF 2 Switches. Flip them both towards VOR, and then your set. VOR2 listens to NAV2 You can only set the CRS for NAV2 in the Nav Rad page on the Airbus. If I remember right.

Michael Carter
09-12-2007, 08:54 AM
That is the correct procedure.

I don't know what your displays will display, but I thought you did have an RMI aboard. If so, that is what you use for the intercept, turn, or milage fix. You can use this instrument in several ways. It's very versitile.

Tomlin
09-12-2007, 10:18 AM
Okay, while on this subject, how about this: Does CRS 2 serve any real purpose other than monitoring your relation to a ground station when it's tied to the OBS2 but it doesnt actually turn anything (an HSI)?

Michael Carter
09-12-2007, 10:28 AM
Not really, but I always like to have the second radio tuned to the next station and for the DME if available.

It also tells me when it's time for a course change. Most of you guys don't have to deal with this as extensively as I do.

dodiano
09-12-2007, 11:50 AM
Could it be something that has to do with Project Magenta?? Cause on the Bus in the Rad Nav page on the top Right side RSK 1 basically is where you tune the station and set the course that will appear on ROSE/VOR on your ND displayed as an HSI but only on the F/O display and on the Cap display will appear whatever you tune on to the Left side of the Rad nav that is the Captains side for tuning or the LSK 1!

Hope I explained myself.

Regards,

Roberto

ryanf
09-13-2007, 04:29 AM
Thanks Roberto!

If I understand you correctly - I think I get it.....

In Project Magenta, you can tune NAV1 and NAV2 using the LSK1 and RSK1 keys, and of course set courses for both. But you are saying that the captain only sees the course and deviation for the tuned VOR in NAV1 and the co-pilot only sees the course and deviation for VOR tuned in NAV2.

If that is the case, if you needed to do manual VOR navigation (for some strange reason!), how would you track one radial and then intercept another radial from another VOR? Would you need to manually retune the NAV that you are using when for instance the DME reads a distance from your current VOR that is near the intercept?

I hope I have made myself clear ;)

cheers,
Ryan.

dodiano
09-13-2007, 11:04 PM
<If that is the case, if you needed to do manual VOR navigation (for some strange reason!), how would you track one radial and then intercept another radial from another VOR? Would you need to manually retune the NAV that you are using when for instance the DME reads a distance from your current VOR that is near the intercept?>

Well you will set one VOR in the Captains side and the other on the F/O Side and cross check within screens as you would if you had to VOR´s or HSI´s on the plane... The one you Tune is read on each side but on ROSE VOR mode on Map mode you still have the RMI´s pointing to the stations if you go to MAP ARC mode you can see the needles each one pointing for each VOR tuned example Vor selected on Cap side Thin Needle and VOR on F/O side the other needle! You can still navigate that way and intercept too!

Regards,

Roberto

Michael Carter
09-13-2007, 11:24 PM
I'm glad I still have steam guages...:mrgreen:

ryanf
09-14-2007, 09:30 AM
Hmmm...steam guages do have some advantages....

Roberto, thanks for the information. Is it difficult for the pilot flying in this scenario to read his own ND as well as that of the other pilot, so he can keep track of the two VOR's? It sounds a little cumbersome - maybe it is something that is done so rarely that there is no need to make it easier (e.g. by allowing the PF to switch his VOR display from NAV1 to NAV2?)

thanks,
Ryan.

Michael Carter
09-14-2007, 09:49 AM
I'm not familiar with Airbus aircraft, but isn't there even one analog RMI indicator in the MIP?

I don't know that it could ever happen, but what if some failure occured that took out the displays or the electronics that provide the displays?

Just wondering.

ryanf
09-14-2007, 10:23 AM
Yes, that's right - there is a DDRMI.

I am not familiar enough with that instrument to be sure but I did not think that it could be used to show course deviation from two different radials of two different VOR's. It sounds like it will only give the same functionality as what can be put into a single ND - so from that point of view, it is a good backup instrument.

Maybe I am missing something though....

Tomlin
09-14-2007, 10:29 AM
Just one thing- dont forget that in the PM Software (at least in the PMRJ) there is an option box when you press ESC that gives you the choice to run as CAP or FO display. That might allow the two to be seperate.

JBaymore
09-14-2007, 10:56 AM
Not really, but I always like to have the second radio tuned to the next station and for the DME if available.

It also tells me when it's time for a course change. Most of you guys don't have to deal with this as extensively as I do.

Mee too, since I am working without a FMC and am pretty much hand flying the routes.

best,

...............john

dodiano
09-14-2007, 11:39 AM
Hmmm...steam guages do have some advantages....

Roberto, thanks for the information. Is it difficult for the pilot flying in this scenario to read his own ND as well as that of the other pilot, so he can keep track of the two VOR's? It sounds a little cumbersome - maybe it is something that is done so rarely that there is no need to make it easier (e.g. by allowing the PF to switch his VOR display from NAV1 to NAV2?)

thanks,
Ryan.

Actually we don`t use VOR`s to navigate that is just not the way it is done anymore in the Bus... I mean VOR´s are used but by the FMGC that triangulates positions with VOR stations, IRS and GPS but I mean we only use our HSI display to intercept radials during departures and to check for Holdings etc... as a cross check or what we call Raw Data check as well as for VOR approaches of course! But just as a Backup! Plus you have 2 guys in the cockpit if needed to be flying your VORS we could make cross checks and the other guy help you navigate...and you have the Needles shown in your diisplay for both VOR`s as I mentioned before.. Just like the DDRMI! Then again I´m sorry to say but VOR navigation is a thing of the past all new commercial airliners and even the newer GA planes do not use needles anymore everything is GPS or VOR triangulated navigation with IRS and GPS we simply follow lines through a Flight director !

Regards,

Roberto

Michael Carter
09-14-2007, 11:42 AM
LONG LIVE NEEDLES! :mrgreen:

Bob Reed
09-14-2007, 02:16 PM
LONG LIVE NEEDLES! :mrgreen:

HEHEHEHE Some how I knew you would have some sort of response like that!:D:shock:

dodiano
09-14-2007, 03:27 PM
LMAO!! :)

Roberto