PDA

View Full Version : It's high time to say hello...

Norbert-EDDV
09-09-2007, 06:10 AM
Hi,
my name is Norbert and I come from Hannover. This is the biggest and nicest town in Lower Saxony / Germany.
My first meeting with MS Flight Simulator I had in 1985. As I remember it was FSII on Commodore C64. Over the years I always kept my relationship to FS and now as I became more time and a nice room in the basement I started to build my own homecockpit and I'm glad to see here that I'm not alone with that crazy idea...

I am not a quite new member because I am reading here for nearly one year and already had some posts.... so I thought gradually it's high time to say 'hello' to everybody...

greetings
Norbert

Trevor Hale
09-09-2007, 08:21 AM
Welcome Norbert.

I am sure I have seen you wandering around before. Great that you introduce yourself. You are not alone in this crazy challenge that we all call a hobby. I am eager to see pictures of your progress. Please feel free to post in the photo gallery.

What aircraft are you thinking of reproducing?

Talk to ya soon

Trev

Matt Olieman
09-09-2007, 08:25 AM
Norbert!!!!! Glad to see you here and participate in our wonderful hobby.

I disagree with Trevor.... "snicker, snicker :) " Crazy, depends on who your talking to. But, as my wife says, "I know where he is."

Great to have on board Norbert, welcome :)

Tracy Hale
09-09-2007, 08:31 AM
I disagree with Trevor.... "snicker, snicker :) " Crazy, depends on who your talking to. But, as my wife says, "I know where he is."

Welcome Norbert...are ya married? If so, get your wife on board!

The guys job in here is to welcome new members and talk planes, show pics etc...

The gals job in here is to welcome new members and ask if they have a wife! :lol:

Michael Carter
09-09-2007, 08:48 AM
Welcommen Norbert. Hope to see some of your work in the near future.

I've flown into Hannover many times in FS, usually via LEINE.

jmig
09-09-2007, 09:53 AM
Welcome Norbert...are ya married? If so, get your wife on board!

The guys job in here is to welcome new members and talk planes, show pics etc...

The gals job in here is to welcome new members and ask if they have a wife! :lol:

Welcome Norbert. If you have been lurking, I need not tell you how much of a resource this place is to pit builders.

Tracy, To quote Ed Rasimus, author of "When Thunder Rolled." My wife doesn't know which end of the jet the hot air comes out of. However, she loves for me to have fun building and flying. AND, she knows I can't comment on what she spends on clothing, shoes, jewelry, etc. :D

Tracy Hale
09-09-2007, 09:55 AM
Tracy, To quote Ed Rasimus, author of "When Thunder Rolled." My wife doesn't know which end of the jet the hot air comes out of. However, she loves for me to have fun building and flying. AND, she knows I can't comment on what she spends on clothing, shoes, jewelry, etc. :D

:lol: I must say that I at least know what end the hot air comes out of...both on an airplane and from my hubby!

Westozy
09-09-2007, 10:16 AM
:lol: I must say that I at least know what end the hot air comes out of...both on an airplane and from my hubby!

I'm proud of you Tracy, you must have had your head in a manual to learn the technicalities of duct pressure!
Minimum 30 PSI on the B737 before attempting a start, but a Dassault 900 is probably measured in Kpa!

Gwyn

Tracy Hale
09-09-2007, 10:27 AM
Minimum 30 PSI on the B737 before attempting a start, but a Dassault 900 is probably measured in Kpa! Gwyn

Silly Gwyn, we all know that Trev's race car will outrun your 73 any day, anytime, anyplace...not to mention 3 engines are better than 2 :p

3000 pounds of thrust per engine on an aircraft weighing 46,000 pounds is much better than an aircraft weighing 187,700 pounds with only a total of 26,300 pounds on each of 2 engines. :mrgreen: ;) :p

Norbert-EDDV
09-09-2007, 04:35 PM
Thank you for hearty welcome!
Yes Tracy, I am married and my wife shows a lot of tolerance, but sometimes she must remind me that the sun is shining outside ... then I know, it's time to do something together...

I think that I will soon post some pictures here from my 737 cabriolet. It's a cabriolet, because I had to made a descision in my basement-room:
either mostly realistic and with overhead panel or
less realistic and instead of overhead panel a wide beamer projection with 10x6 feet.
I preferred the last one. If you want, you can see some pictures on my simple blog
http://www.b737.bloglove.cc

If it is desired, I can also post some pictures of development here to the photo gallery. By the way, it's a
really great website here.

greetings
Norbert

Tracy Hale
09-09-2007, 05:14 PM
Thank you for hearty welcome!
Yes Tracy, I am married and my wife shows a lot of tolerance, but sometimes she must remind me that the sun is shining outside ... then I know, it's time to do something together...Norbert

Norbert, I think ALL wives have to give our hubbies a little reminder that there's more to life than just the sim ;)

Trevor Hale
09-09-2007, 05:16 PM
Norbert,

Your video is beautiful.

Great Job. I Love your graphics. I had 2 look three times to see if it was real outside view.

Fantastic work

Trev

Matt Olieman
09-09-2007, 07:57 PM
Fantastic Norbert, thanks for sharing :)

I too had to look sever times because of the fantastic outside view. What are you using?

Michael Carter
09-10-2007, 12:22 AM
Silly Gwyn, we all know that Trev's race car will outrun your 73 any day, anytime, anyplace...not to mention 3 engines are better than 2 :p

:p
You know it Lady!

Three engines beats two no matter what aircraft it is!:D That's why we don't need no stinkin' ETOPS.

Engines turn or passengers swim! Hee hee hee.

Fuglsang
09-10-2007, 06:25 AM
Hello Nobert, and welcome!

I have seen your video on youtube before, very impressive!
I agree with Trevor and Matt, Nice graffics!:cool:

mauriceb
09-10-2007, 07:05 AM
Norbert, I think ALL wives have to give our hubbies a little reminder that there's more to life than just the sim ;)

This has got to be the understatement of the year..... 'a little reminder' :shock::shock: :p

Maurice

Norbert-EDDV
09-10-2007, 08:39 AM
Thanks for a lot of compliments for my video and especially thanks that you generous lost sight of my horrible mistakes on final approach ;-).
Too much speed and failing the center line... the excitement of the first video!

I have a configuration of 4 PC's (1 new Intel Core Duo 6600 and 3 PIII 900 from ebay) running FS9 (thinking about slowly changing to FSX) and Project Magenta software. In the MIP are two 19"TFT's and one 17"TFT. The wooden parts (side frames and MIP) are made by myself, seats are from a Chrysler Voyager and panels are from cockpitsonic.de (a fine german cockpit manufacturer near Frankfurt). The projection is a Panasonic PT-AE900 beamer on 10 feet distance to a self made silver screen (10x6 feet).

Yes Tracy, I can confirm that life is more sim (I do not always exactly understand english language, but I think that is what you mean...).

greetings
Norbert

Tomlin
09-10-2007, 11:10 AM
Norbert, I can see your project really takes advantage of some time and money savers, this is exactly what newer builders like myself like to see. I too plan to run the CDU/FMS on a touchscreen for a while once I get around to buying the CDU software.

I see that you use two CH yokes. My plan is to also use two CH Yokes, but only one of them will actually be connected to the sim because it is my plan to interconnect them via a crossover bar.

However, out of curiosity and to settle some fears, do you have BOTH of your yokes connected to the PC/FS9 and working without conflict? One item im interested in is if you adjust trim via the yoke's trim button on the captain's side and then adjust the trim on the FO's side, it should work just fine, correct?

Thanks, and thanks for sharing your project with us all!

Trevor Hale
09-10-2007, 11:22 AM
However, out of curiosity and to settle some fears, do you have BOTH of your yokes connected to the PC/FS9 and working without conflict?

You need additional Software to do this Tomlin.

Email or Private Message BOB. He knows the name of it, for some reason the name eludes me right now.

Norbert-EDDV
09-10-2007, 01:36 PM
Tomlin, yes I am using two CH yokes.
But when I read the reply from Trevor then it seems to me that I have a lot of fortune because I do not have any problems with the two yokes. The cause must be that I have on the Captain side the CH Flight Sim yoke pro and on the FO side it's the CH Flight Sim Yoke LE (the light version).

By the way, the touchscreen is not only helping to save money, it's also very helpful for running additional programs as I need for online flying with IVAO.

Greetings
Norbert

andarlite
09-10-2007, 02:34 PM
I also find it strange that you would need additional software to connect 2 CH yokes to FS9. Although I am only building a single seat cockpit, occasionally my wife will fly with me. So in addition to my CH Flight Sim Yoke (USB), I conncected up an older set of CH rudders (gameport) which is connected together with an older CH Virtual Pilot yoke (gameport)..... which is then connected to a Gameport to USB converter. This has worked fine for me.

Regards,
Henry

Tomlin
09-10-2007, 02:55 PM
Yeah, I have been told by Bob that he had some issues, but I do know that per FSUIPC there are some ways possibly too (it escapes me, the details). I do know that in the past when connecting a USB joystick in addition to the yoke, there were no problems, BUT that couldve been due to it being a different device.

However, it's not that big of a deal for me anyhow, because I plan to remove the 2 CH yokes from their housings, mount them on columns, and interconnect- using only one of the Pitch/Roll pots for movement and I guess the only issue would be using the two sets of throttle/mixture/pitch pots for Engine 1/2, Flaps, Spd Brakes, and possibly reversers. Here's where FSUIPC def comes in.

Thanks Norbert, Trev, and Andy!
HECK, thanks to ALL of you guys here that make this such an invaluable place to learn and share!

PS- Norbert, I myself plan to run an FMS and an Electronic Flight Bag on a touchscreen in the pedestal for my Learjet 45. Good to see others using them, even if it's only a temp solution.