PDA

View Full Version : Update on site- Center Ped pictures

Tomlin
09-07-2007, 09:58 AM
You can see the Center Pedestal under construction at:

http://www.freewebs.com/flightlevel180/

Should be painted this weekend if nothing comes up.

Michael Carter
09-07-2007, 10:48 AM
Looks good Eric, can you post a larger photo?

Matt Olieman
09-07-2007, 11:03 AM
Looks good Eric, can you post a larger photo?

:D HERE ???? :D

Very nice Eric.

Tomlin
09-07-2007, 11:03 AM
Thanks

On the Project Photos page there are 3 larger pics. The link below gives full details.

http://www.freewebs.com/flightlevel180/projectphotos.htm

or here for just the pic....

Matt Olieman
09-07-2007, 11:48 AM
WOW, now that I've gotten a closer look... you can kick that and hurt yourself.... :)

Geremy Britton
09-07-2007, 12:35 PM
:)Goodness definately boeing heavy iron should i say!

JBaymore
09-07-2007, 12:51 PM
Eric,

You expecting a lot of crashes? ;)

best,

...................john

mauriceb
09-07-2007, 01:20 PM
Thanks

On the Project Photos page there are 3 larger pics. The link below gives full details.

http://www.freewebs.com/flightlevel180/projectphotos.htm

or here for just the pic....

Is this made of steel (looks like it)? If it is, aren't you worried about not being able to get off the ground with the increased gross weight? :D

Maurice

Tomlin
09-07-2007, 01:38 PM
Thanks for all the comments relating to its sturdiness! Twice I visited the flight deck of a US Navy C40 (737-700 w/ -800 Wings) and what really impressed me was the sturdiness of the center pedestal, so I was determined to build one that could do the same thing that the real aircraft did- support lots of pulls, kicks, and being treated as a hand-hold. I had to use the real one to help me get in and out of the seat on the C40, and I knew that I wanted it made sturdy for the sim for those people who may visit and not be so careful. Aluminum wasnt available, so I had my build partner make it of 3/16" steel. It will get a final sanding tommorow plus a layer or two of primer. Maybe more.

Michael Carter
09-07-2007, 01:50 PM
Holy smokes! You could bust a toe on that. ;-)

Nice job and you won't have to worry about the dings and bumps either.

Trevor Hale
09-07-2007, 01:55 PM
Yeah.. I'd Say Mike. I think it is almost as strong as Bob's, Spider helmet! Great Job Eric. Have you thought about the panel mounting rails yet?

Westozy
09-07-2007, 06:53 PM
That's the housing for the black box yes?!!!
Be careful not to over engineer stuff Eric, I see a lot of heavy "1 ton+" sims on our sight and it really isn't neccessary, ie. 2 guys can lift my sim off the floor pretty easily and it's basically finished. I can get it out of the room in 30 minutes and loaded on a trailer, it might be going on display at the Red Bull Air Race here in Perth in November. My 25mm RHS steel frame is quite light and yet very rigid, the frame only weighs about 30 Kg (66Lbs), Structures such as the pedestal, seats and MIP are quite light and the whole thing is very strong, something to consider!
I've been a Mechanical Engineer since 1979 and I think I'm getting the hang of this sort of stuff!!!!;) BTW, your fabrication is excellent, don't get me wrong I'm not picking!

Gwyn

Tomlin
09-07-2007, 08:43 PM
Thanks guys. If I could afford it, it would be out of aluminum, but seeing as the steel was free as well as the fabrication, I will keep the extra weight! My step brother is a project partner and so he helped me on this. Basically did it all with me watching over his shoulder. He says payback comes when he gets to fly the thing!