PDA

View Full Version : Full sim redesign!

Kennair
09-05-2007, 08:13 AM
Firstly, I wonder if anyone has a cure for this? A single injection would be good, but until then I'm infected!

After seeing the attached photo of the proposed Next Generation PC12 cockpit, I have decided to completely redesign my sim from scratch. The initial sim was always a test case to learn how and what can and can't be done with both hardware and software hence the use of mostly recycled materials, and after seeing this photo, I knew the time had come to start the real pit! I also attribute some of the blame onto Westozy for showing me his wonderfully engineered 737. Thanks Gwyn :shock:

I think you really need to build a pit, before really building THE pit.

Ken. :cool:

http://www.kennair.com/Images/aircraft/PC12_NextGen.jpg

Tomlin
09-05-2007, 10:34 AM
I love the PC12, and to be honest, I like the current version of the cockpit better, but THIS would be a walk in the park to build, using PMGC, and some other bits and pieces. Tempting...

Kennair
09-05-2007, 10:50 AM
Quite right Eric. I also like the current design so I intend making templates with cutouts that go over the screens to simulate the current style instruments. Other template designs will also cater for other aircraft types such as the King Air and even the 737. My throttle will also be redesigned based on the PC12 but having twin thrust, power & condition levers. What fun :)

Ken.

Bob Reed
09-05-2007, 11:10 AM
Sounds like you have a design firmly set what a good feeling that is! And yes I have found and stated in this forum that every rebuild is batter then the last. You need to do some things to see how to make them better and see what mistakes not to make. I look forward to your new pics!

Tomlin
09-05-2007, 11:11 AM
It's also amazing how aircraft flight decks are becoming much more 'car-like'. The Cessna Citation Mustang, the new PC-12, and to a degree the 787.

I can hear it now, the old guys from way back, they thought that today's standards were strange when compared to a DC3 or 707 pit. Actually, those old pits looked kinda like a farm tractor's 'pit' compared to a 744, or 77x, 73NG, etc. But these newest a/c look just like a car to me and I dont care for it as much. Of course, our kids (or theirs) will one day think that a 747-400 looks really weird compared to what they have to look forward to.

Westozy
09-05-2007, 11:26 AM
Firstly, I wonder if anyone has a cure for this? A single injection would be good, but until then I'm infected!

After seeing the attached photo of the proposed Next Generation PC12 cockpit, I have decided to completely redesign my sim from scratch. The initial sim was always a test case to learn how and what can and can't be done with both hardware and software hence the use of mostly recycled materials, and after seeing this photo, I knew the time had come to start the real pit! I also attribute some of the blame onto Westozy for showing me his wonderfully engineered 737. Thanks Gwyn :shock:

I think you really need to build a pit, before really building THE pit.

Ken. :cool:

http://www.kennair.com/Images/aircraft/PC12_NextGen.jpg

Cheers Ken, I enjoyed flying with you, any time, just give me a bell...

dodiano
09-05-2007, 11:33 AM
That is a great Idea plus the newer Boeing Pits look a lot like those hnce the Dream Liner!! Please show us some pics when you have some!!

Regards,

Roberto

jmig
09-05-2007, 08:49 PM
That photo looks more like the cockpit of something from Star Wars.

I tell you kids these days. they don't know what it was like to really fly. Why first there was autopilots. Then GPPS and now glass cockpits. Why soon they will build a plane that can land it self.

;)

Westozy
09-06-2007, 04:27 AM
Why soon they will build a plane that can land it self.

;)

Correct me if I'm wrong but the 737 was doing that 20 odd years ago! Just put the ILS frequency in both Nav radios, turn on autopilots A & B and away you go...

jmig
09-06-2007, 07:09 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but the 737 was doing that 20 odd years ago! Just put the ILS frequency in both Nav radios, turn on autopilots A & B and away you go...

Just about any modern airliner can land itself using the CAT 3 system. So can the space shuttle. Of course, have you ever seen any pilot use it? :D