PDA

View Full Version : Paint colour/color ?

mpl330
08-29-2007, 07:44 AM
Hi Guys,

Just wondering what colour grey paint folks are using for their 738 builds and any particular brands (I'm UK based)?

Cheers
Mike

Tomlin
08-29-2007, 08:28 AM
Mike,

I just wanted to say that the Boeing gray can vary from aircraft to aircraft. In fact, you will sometimes notice that the same 737NG flight deck will have different shades of 'Boeing Gray' since parts are sometimes taken off of one aircraft and placed on another for replacement. Ive seen a reference to the Rustoleum Hardhat Industrial Medium Gray being very similar.

Trevor Hale
08-29-2007, 08:38 AM
Hi Mike,

I used the search option in the navbar and came up with this thread.

http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9138&highlight=%22Boeing+Paint%22

I think that is what your looking for.

Best regards,

Trev

mpl330
08-29-2007, 08:42 AM
:oops:

And there I was having tried a search and couldnt find anything, I was surprised as I thought someone must have asked before!
Oh well sorry guys - must try harder - cheers for the link Trev.
Mike

Geremy Britton
08-29-2007, 08:59 AM
I use grey primer car spray in the UK for the larger areas (the make is ADS workshop if that helps)

THen for the panels i use a slightly darker grey which i think works well as i make my own panels. THis is from Humbrol and it's called Dark Sea Grey which is a realy good match to the boeing grey. Unfortunately this used to be available in the spray and in a pot however since humbrol has been taken over by hornby Dark Sea Grey spray paint has been discontinued :(
only the small sampler pots of paint remain and you would need to buy loads of pots to do all the panels and doesn't give as good finish as spray paint :o

Geremy

Michael Carter
08-29-2007, 09:24 AM
The 727 has used up to four different shades of gray in the past. The real panels I have show this to be true.

I'm using Krylon Rust Tough battleship gray for everything. It's a good match for one of the Boeing grays that were used.

It has just enough blue in it to look good. Every other gray I've experimented with is too gray with not enough blue.

Since so many different shades were used in the past, an exact color match is not very high on my list.