PDA

View Full Version : Using a Touch Screen for mulitple items

Tomlin
08-27-2007, 02:03 PM
Hi all

Im thinking very seriously of buying a touch screen monitor that will fit in my L45 center pedestal to display both the PM CDU software and some Electronic Flight Bag software together. This shouldnt be a problem, right? I would have both softwares running on the same monitor and I realise I would just have to touch the desired application to make it the 'active' software, but otherwise it should not be an issue, correct?

As an aside, I thought it was interesting to see in the 787 presentation placed here by Gwyn that it appears Boeing is going to a 'software' CDU format on interacting with the FMS. Guess that's what Im doing essentially here.

Bob Reed
08-27-2007, 02:48 PM
Touch screen works just like a mouse, so this would work.

Tomlin
08-27-2007, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the confirmation.

spitfire9
08-27-2007, 05:00 PM
You could take a look at the touch-buddy.com forums.

Lots of good touch screen info there.

I have a small tough screen and tried some of the profiles and the tool kit to make your own touch screens.

2Kewl
08-28-2007, 07:52 AM
On using Touchscreens, Touchscreens are expensive, particularly in larger sizes. You can buy "Touchkits" or "Touch Screen Kits" on Ebay that are basically the glass touch screen and USB controller and put them on a regular LCD monitor, either on top of the bezel or putting them in between the bezel and the LCD screen glass. Several people on the Touch Buddy forums are using them. I have a 15inch version and am using it with a 15" monitor and Touchbuddy and it works really well. If you have a existing monitor a 15" Touchkit gives you a lot more screen than the more expensive 8" and 10" touchscreens from Hong Kong and most likely higher resolutions.

Ebay example:
http://tinyurl.com/36x7ak

Manufacturer:
http://www.touchkit.com/4Touchscreen.asp

Another thing, Touchscreens can make crappy displays because some have shiny or slightly discoloured surfaces. The Touchkit I have is basically two clear pieces of glass. Also if buying second hand, some Touchscreens can have wear on the screen from finger presses on regularly used on-screen buttons.

Geremy Britton
08-28-2007, 08:22 AM
Yes definately a touch screen would be cheaper in the long run. Just buy the touch sheets on ebay (about £40) and there you have it. makes the sim look loads more realistic without the mouse. there was a flight simmer site that did this with a demo video but i've forgotten the site - sorry!

Good luck - post some pics of the finished product i'm thinking about going the same route as you :D

mauriceb
08-28-2007, 08:24 AM
I was also toying with the idea of using a large touch screen for the 737 overhead & PM Systems software. Not nearly as nice as a fully populated hardware overhead with backlighting, but would save a lot of building time.

Flickin real switches though is hard to beat. Now, if Enrico added sounds to his software so that you would hear the sound switches make, that would make it a more palatable option in my opinion.

Anyone in the PM world out here??? That would really be a very nice option and should not be that difficult for any software guru :D

Maurice

Tomlin
08-28-2007, 08:47 AM
Not to steal any thunder from you Boeing builders (I myself love them!) but I couldnt personally go without the full overhead physically not being there, but the idea of a TS there would be cheaper to build for those on a tight budget. Hence, the reason I switched to the Learjet45!

As another 'aside' on the touchscreen idea(s), is like I mentioned it appears that the new Boeing 787 may not have a physical CDU but soft CDU via touch (not positive though, could just be a demo picture like the rest of the mock cockpit). This does seem to make sense, since a screen is much cheaper to replace than a physical hardware full of switches, etc.

What I like about this idea for my Learjet sim is the fact that many corporate and private aircraft that are not in 'for hire' service can easily get Supplemental Type Certificates for non-standard equipment for use in the aicraft, such as EFBs, etc. For me in the Lear, a simple touchscreen LCD mounted in the Center Ped that serves as the FMS and EFB is very 'possible' for the real world, and therefore I can tolerate the lack of a real physical CDU. If I was building a 'standard' B737, I'd want it to be as vanilla as any other line-operated aircraft.

The good thing about us having our own sims though is the fact that we can install whatever the heck we want, no matter how realistic. It's just that driving urge to make it as prototypical as possible that drives many of us crazy.

Thanks for the tips on where to look for more info everyone!