PDA

View Full Version : White Lettering/engraving

Geremy Britton
08-23-2007, 02:25 PM
Hi all

Making My own panels can be teedious at times. :o How do people create the lettering on their panels, engraving, stickers etc.

I want to use white stickers for the lettering but for the life of me i cant find a single place to buy them. Been to dozens of stationers and hardware stores but no joy.

Suggestions welcome! - i'm stuck.

Trevor Hale
08-23-2007, 02:56 PM
Hi all

Making My own panels can be teedious at times. :o How do people create the lettering on their panels, engraving, stickers etc.

I want to use white stickers for the lettering but for the life of me i cant find a single place to buy them. Been to dozens of stationers and hardware stores but no joy.

Suggestions welcome! - i'm stuck.

Draw the picture in Paint with black text. then Print the inverse image. Works for me, then use a spray adhesive to attach it to the plexi.

Seahawk
08-23-2007, 04:09 PM
Draw the picture in Paint with black text. then Print the inverse image. Works for me, then use a spray adhesive to attach it to the plexi.

at the risk of seeming slightly ignorant .....
what font do you use for the letters and how does one print an inverse image? is there a button in Paint that prints inverse ? also onto what paper do you run through the printer as white letters on white paper obviously doesn't work
thanks
SeaHawk

Trevor Hale
08-23-2007, 04:30 PM
My printer has a setting on it to print a negative image in the printer setup. I am sure in any graphics program you can invert the colors. (black on white becomes white on black)

I Pick a font that resembles the aircraft text I am using. There are many free fonts on the net, just find one you want to use.

As for the Paper. I use a special paper made for inkjets that is backlightable. Used to be called EPSON Backlight paper, I can't remember who makes it now.

It is almost a plastic.

Hope that helps.

Trev

Tomlin
08-23-2007, 05:01 PM
I wondered this too. So, you print on the material the full size of the panel you have created, then print it in white, spray adhesive on, and Voila! ? Nice, I cant believe that for everything I use spray adhesive that I wouldnt have thought of this! Nice...

ivar hestnes
08-23-2007, 05:51 PM
I dont know the english word but I give it a try:D

Companyes that make printed advertisements and other kind of commercial stuff have a kind of white plastic which is self adhesive. And in all the colors you can think of.

3M Scotchcal Marking Film, is the name of the product.

It is absolutely backlightable. It is used for backlighted signs:)

Could be worth a try to print on this film.

Trevor Hale
08-23-2007, 07:06 PM
I wondered this too. So, you print on the material the full size of the panel you have created, then print it in white, spray adhesive on, and Voila! ? Nice, I cant believe that for everything I use spray adhesive that I wouldnt have thought of this! Nice...

Yes but I spray an even coat of adhesive onto the plexi and attach the shiny side of the paper to the plexi. Works like a charm for me. Then when you drill it, you just have to be careful, but I get the results I wanted. It took quite some time to achieve the look, you will just have to play with it.

Tomlin
08-24-2007, 09:39 AM
Thanks Trevor, I will give it a go very soon.

phil744
08-26-2007, 02:23 AM
I am making my own panels aswell, so i know how tedious and boring it can be, basically what i do is take machined plexi backer, spray it white, then matt black and then brown/grey depending on what colour you require, then put it on my laser scriber:),i can tune the machine to etch away layers of paint depending on ther colour this always give's me the best results. however i am stuck with a max panel size of 280X280mm.

For larger panels I get my artwork cut in vinyl, then apply this to my allready painted white plaxi backer, then paint over the top of the vinyl with brown/grey and when the paint cures carefully remove the vinyl, its very tricky to do but it gives excellent results, however it can be a little expensive.

Tomlin
08-26-2007, 05:10 PM
I wonder if this can be done by a sign shop? I think I may visit a local sign shop this week now...

Tomlin
08-26-2007, 05:12 PM
Also, when making your own panels, how do you home builders make all the square holes? I started on a Lear MIP this weekend and Im anxious to find out different ways to get small sized square holes for buttons, etc. Obviously a jig saw with a very sharp blade could be used, but I have to beleive that there may be something better. Maybe a scroll saw?

JBaymore
08-26-2007, 05:41 PM
I wonder if this can be done by a sign shop? I think I may visit a local sign shop this week now...

A franchise in the USA called "Fastsigns" can do the vinyl. It's not cheap though.

best,

..................john

Trevor Hale
08-26-2007, 07:42 PM
Also, when making your own panels, how do you home builders make all the square holes? I started on a Lear MIP this weekend and Im anxious to find out different ways to get small sized square holes for buttons, etc. Obviously a jig saw with a very sharp blade could be used, but I have to beleive that there may be something better. Maybe a scroll saw?

Tomlin,

I have modified most of my panels to accept round switches, however I have some Square switches that have round holes. From the surface looks square, but underneath it is round. The other option, I have had good success with is drill a round hole and use a file to file it square.

Best regards,

Trev

andarlite
08-26-2007, 08:26 PM

Tomlin

I usually drill a small hole on each corner.... then I use a coping saw.... detach the blade and stick it through one of the corner holes, re-attach to the saw and now cut out your square hole. The coping saw only works if your hole is within 5" of the panel edges. For panels where the coping saw can't fit, then I use a keyhole saw. To finish off, use a file to fine tune.

I'm sure that must be an easier way but so far I haven't had to make too many square holes and this has worked for me.

Regards,
Henry

JBaymore
08-26-2007, 10:58 PM
I mostly use the drill and file method too. Occasionally I can get a sharp knife and repeated cutting of the same lines to work.... but it is exacting work (hence an eXacto-knife :cool:).

There ARE square hole punches available for "professional grade" metal panel work ....... but they are pricey as all get out.

best,

.....................john

Geremy Britton
08-30-2007, 06:15 AM
Trevor, call me stupid :roll: but what are you trying to say. I cant understand what to do at all. could you just talk me through the steps

Much appreciated, Geremy :D

Westozy
08-30-2007, 06:56 AM

Fit a small square file to your jigsaw and clean it regularly!

Gwyn

Tomlin
08-30-2007, 09:00 AM
Low and behold, my dad had a perfectly good scroll saw that he has loaned me for however long I need it. I was supposed to start cutting tonight, but we will see how it goes. Scheduling conflict with the missuss.

The file attached to the tool....interesting Gwyn! :-)

Trevor Hale
08-30-2007, 11:04 AM
Trevor, call me stupid :roll: but what are you trying to say. I cant understand what to do at all. could you just talk me through the steps

ROFL.. Drill a round hole. Put use a hand file on the round hole to square the edges of the hole. Is that what you are confused about?

Trevor Hale
08-30-2007, 11:06 AM

I get it. The square switch is square on the front and sits flat on the surface of the panel. Then the back of the switch is a round tube that you thred the nutt onto. So it is actually a round hole that it goes through, but the front of the switch is square.

Does that help? ROFL

Geremy Britton
08-30-2007, 11:09 AM
sorry i didn'y mean the swiches. I was talking about the writing on the panels and the backlighting etc.

G.

Trevor Hale
08-30-2007, 11:32 AM
sorry i didn'y mean the swiches. I was talking about the writing on the panels and the backlighting etc.

G.

Well I wire to the switches and cable to my interface, but I back light with Christmas lights. I have them on a dimmer on one of the overhead panels. Works great.