1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Tomlin's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Interfacing a multi-use switch for IAS/Mach and VS???

Hi all

I am seeking out some suggestions from those of you who have 'gone there/done that' and this is my issue:

On the Learjet 45 FGC (MCP), the SPD (speed) rotary encoder controls the value of the IAS or if pushed, the Mach value. Once the VS button is pressed, the IAS/Mach value goes to --- and the rotary now controls the VS value until turned off, and the function is now returned to the SPD hold.

Since I am using an aircraft that doesnt use the PMBGC for now (for the MCP/FMS) I am unable to use an FDS rotary encoder solution.

My harware solution will most likely be a Phidgets pushbutton Rotary Encoder and then an FDS SYS3 VS function. However, I am afraid that most likely there wont be a way to implement FS2Phidgets and InterfaceIT to do it as the real aircraft, so the best compromise that I can think of would be to have the Rotary Encoder act as a IAS encoder and then when it's pushed it becomes the VS encoder and the pushbutton 'holds' the VS. In this way, we lose the function of switching between IAS and Mach, which really to me isnt a horrible thing to lose so much although of course, Id like to be able to retain they switching ability from IAS to Mach.

Thoughts?

Ultimately, if I could have the rotary control both IAS and Mach depending on when it's pushed in and then have the VS button over-ride the SPD function and change it to a VS mode, that would be awesome, but I dont know if it's possible. Do you think it is?
    Eric Tomlin-
    Learjet 45 Builder
    www.flightlevel180.org

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Quote Originally Posted by Tomlin View Post
    Hi all

I am seeking out some suggestions from those of you who have 'gone there/done that' and this is my issue:

On the Learjet 45 FGC (MCP), the SPD (speed) rotary encoder controls the value of the IAS or if pushed, the Mach value. Once the VS button is pressed, the IAS/Mach value goes to --- and the rotary now controls the VS value until turned off, and the function is now returned to the SPD hold.

Since I am using an aircraft that doesnt use the PMBGC for now (for the MCP/FMS) I am unable to use an FDS rotary encoder solution.

My harware solution will most likely be a Phidgets pushbutton Rotary Encoder and then an FDS SYS3 VS function. However, I am afraid that most likely there wont be a way to implement FS2Phidgets and InterfaceIT to do it as the real aircraft, so the best compromise that I can think of would be to have the Rotary Encoder act as a IAS encoder and then when it's pushed it becomes the VS encoder and the pushbutton 'holds' the VS. In this way, we lose the function of switching between IAS and Mach, which really to me isnt a horrible thing to lose so much although of course, Id like to be able to retain they switching ability from IAS to Mach.

Thoughts?

Ultimately, if I could have the rotary control both IAS and Mach depending on when it's pushed in and then have the VS button over-ride the SPD function and change it to a VS mode, that would be awesome, but I dont know if it's possible. Do you think it is?
    Tomlin,

The way I would accomplish this if I were you is purchase a stand alone rotary module that converts to key presses. I would attach a relay to a toggle switch that when toggles the relay switches the input pins on your interface to control VS and when the toggle in in the down position it moves the rotary output to the input on your interface that controlls IAS/Mach.

Realys are easy to use and configure.

Piece of pie!

Trev