Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Cheap and easy FSX motion system

I've been pretty quite the last few months as "bloody old Erich" and myself have been working on a plan to cater for cheap and easy motion for FSX. ... Well we found it !!!
    The concept is so simple and easy, it makes my original FS9 unit look super complicated.
    Take a look at the specs of the KT5198 ... It can be feed with DAC, RC or serial . Little ripper we thought. Now to just have inputs from the position pots and a few more outputs/inputs for "other things" ,, well, what better board than the K8055, a card that a lot of people will already have.
    Both of the above cards are cheap and can be purchased as a kit or already built up. (From different outlets)

We have tossed together a "plan" on...

http://www.jimspage.co.nz/plan.htm

I am doing my own software and its getting near the "beta testing" stage, but I put forward a challenge to the software guru's out there to also make something to suit. We tend to think this "hardware" line up is so stupidly simple and easy, it will be around for quite some time and be a basis of simmers getting into cheap motion ,, and to have different "takes" on the software to drive it would be an added bonus. !!!

Happy pondering ... Jim NZ (With a shove from "Bloody old Erich" )
    www.jimspage.co.nz/intro.htm
    All this and Liz still loves me ! !

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor AndyT's Avatar

So you need Beta testers? Or would you like to see other versions that do the same thing?

Also, you should write and ask if the Vellman card works with XP since it says this:
    "Windows 98SE or higher (Win NT excluded)" Win XP is based on NT.
    God's in command, I'm just the Pilot.
    http://www.geocities.com/andytulenko/

No, we dont need beta testers. The posting is the outcome of months of head-scratching, so just passing this info on, which may help someone else.

The Velleman works fine with their test program and also my program on XP.

I do all my programming on Vista and again, their test program and my software works fine.
    www.jimspage.co.nz/intro.htm
    All this and Liz still loves me ! !

150+ Forum Groupie

Smile making progress

Quote Originally Posted by Jim NZ View Post
    No, we dont need beta testers. The posting is the outcome of months of head-scratching, so just passing this info on, which may help someone else.

The Velleman works fine with their test program and also my program on XP.

I do all my programming on Vista and again, their test program and my software works fine.
    Hi Jim Thought christmas came early yesterday when i saw your latest Post talk about just waht the doctor ordered LOL:- this weekend started Building My K8055 USB Kit and shes getting there fingers crossed i'll have it done soon. Sun Came out Little lady wanted er demanded we make hay while the sun shines as it were so Spent precious build time round the local Car Boot Sales LOL (er me thinks No contest comes to mind) any ways i got back in and checked my ebay bidding and i had won a Velleman K8000 ifc Card and was majorly Happy cos now i belive i have all the bases covered and some extra Options for various experiments Card recieved yesterday and tested and working so basically got the old paralell port option and the soon to be completed USB option. Love the stuff you updated on your website and am now looking for a UK supplier for the Dual Motor controller card yous have recomended ( seen a couple of options similar but different makes ) so will keep looking. My Biggest Work now is that my actuators may not be up to the job as the weight of the cockpit grows ( no thats not just me putting on weight) any other ideas for Beefing up the motors (like your dual motor drive but how did you synch the motor speeds guessing no 2 run at exactly the same speed so one my tug or be dragged by the other ? ) .. Cheers Jim thanks for leading the way as always .

10+ Posting Member

Jim,

Good find on the KT-5198. I had not seen that one

I use a similar controller (but much smaller in size), it's a a single motor controller though. It is $30 US.

http://www.newmicros.com/index2.php?...wV5nU7O5cc2W84

They also have a duel controller that I am using for surge that handles 7 amps - 20 for 3 sec. (if needed).

http://www.newmicros.com/index2.php?...26part%3DD-Rex

New micros is a U.S. company so not sure if shipping would cost a lot...others might find these a possible solution so I figured I'd through the links out.

I'll have to look for at the KT-5198 cause I like the high amp support the MOSFETS have ........50 amps if you connect directly to them.....wow! might be good if you thought you would ever peak 40amps (don't know why someone would go that high)....but nice to have a buffer.(modification of course) the 10 amp at the terminals is a nice spec.

I use the K8055 and it is a great card. Very easy to assembly if you go the kit route. This is a very affordable card for what you get. Definately my #1 reccomendation to anyone.

Your plan is very similar to what I am working on, but I am using the K8055 as the PWM controller for the motor controllers.

Just curious, Is there a reason you are going direct to the ocean board? and only using K8055 for A2D inputs. Seems like if you had a K8055 that you would just want to run everything through that with just a USB connection.

Regards, Kyle

25+ Posting Member

Available in Canada

Does anyone know of a dealer in Canada, or somewhat close in the US that would have these boards? This may be what I have been looking for. I think I have abandoned my AC 3 phase idea.

Thanks,

Dutchboy

10+ Posting Member

Dutchboy,

Probably the best source is below...actually they are the only ones I know off that offer it assembled....well ...assembled for less then $100 anyway

http://www.apogeekits.com/usb_interface.htm

not sure on the KT-5198 board have to research that one in bit...I'll let you know if I run into a good supplier

Regards, Kyle

25+ Posting Member

Where to buy

Thanks Kyle. I may just get the KT-5198 and use the serial input to control the motors. I already have an 8bit 8 channel analog input for my pots, so I don't need the K8055.

I found a source that will ship to Canada and it's reasonably priced. They also have the assembled version of the K8055.

http://store.qkits.com/moreinfo.cfm/KT-5198A

I ordered it and should get it shortly.

Dutchboy

Quote Originally Posted by kjg71 View Post
    Dutchboy,

Probably the best source is below...actually they are the only ones I know off that offer it assembled....well ...assembled for less then $100 anyway

http://www.apogeekits.com/usb_interface.htm

not sure on the KT-5198 board have to research that one in bit...I'll let you know if I run into a good supplier

Regards, Kyle

10+ Posting Member

Dutchboy,

The more I look at KT-5198, the more I kind of like it. Looks like they even give you the custom serial cable connections....that's cool

D9 Female IDC socket 1
    10-pin IDC Header Connector 1
    9-wire IDC Ribbon 120mm

I will probably stick with what I have now, but are going to keep my eye on this one.

.......be interesting to see what others are able to send through it as far as amperage, as the manual sais 2 Amps may start some heat (at least this is what they say to watch for when you first get it and you know your motors pull that). And then they say 6 amps as the max, but then the web specs say 10 amp.....kind of confusing....be interesting to see if folks end up having to add different heatsinks on those MOSFETS.

just curious what board are you going with for your A2D inputs (pot connections)?

Kyle

25+ Posting Member

Received my KT5198A

Holy smoke! I received my KT5198A from http://store.qkits.com already! I always order express shipping from the US (I'm in Canada) because it ends up costing the same for me anyhow because UPS sends me a nice bill.

It's fully assembled, and is very well built. I will be attempting to run some small motors with it and my C# Simconnect application this weekend. I'll post a movie or some pics if all goes well.

Kyle, Jim_NZ mentioned on his site (http://www.jimspage.co.nz/plan.htm) that after "beefing up the tracks" that it could handle more amperage. I'm hoping this can be done without pushing the board too far. You could always put some large heat syncs and fans to help with the extra heat. I'm also thinking that 10amps would be nice to get out of this unit.

As for my pot inputs. I'm using the 10-bit joystick controller from Leo Bodner http://www.lbodnar.dsl.pipex.com/joystick
    Works great with my pedals right now. I see he has a 12 bit version now. I may have to pick one of those up!

Dutchboy

Quote Originally Posted by kjg71 View Post
    Dutchboy,

The more I look at KT-5198, the more I kind of like it. Looks like they even give you the custom serial cable connections....that's cool

D9 Female IDC socket 1
    10-pin IDC Header Connector 1
    9-wire IDC Ribbon 120mm

I will probably stick with what I have now, but are going to keep my eye on this one.

.......be interesting to see what others are able to send through it as far as amperage, as the manual sais 2 Amps may start some heat (at least this is what they say to watch for when you first get it and you know your motors pull that). And then they say 6 amps as the max, but then the web specs say 10 amp.....kind of confusing....be interesting to see if folks end up having to add different heatsinks on those MOSFETS.

just curious what board are you going with for your A2D inputs (pot connections)?

Kyle

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast