1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Tomlin's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Exclamation Choosing Monitors and MIP Stands

Okay, so I am getting closer to being able to build a MIP stand and place the monitors in to get ready for the temp. MIP. However, I would like to ask some questions for feedback.

I have the required sizes (I think) for the Pilot/CoPilot sides for avionics and Im sure I wont be able to squeeze my 15" CRT in for the RMUs between the two 17" CRTs. Maybe, but it would be tight. Regardless, here's the situation:

The real Learjet 45 uses CRTs instead of LCDs. Again, I have two 17" and 1 15" CRTs, and I am tempted to try to see how they look but I have to remove the frames off of them.

1) Can anyone point to a guide on how to do this safely (even if it's for an LCD instead)?

2) Should I just wait 'till I can afford the two 17"/1 15" LCDs since they are slimmer/lighter/flat?

3) How dim witted would it be to build a MIP stand for the CRTs, try it, and then repair the MIP and CRTs if it just doesnt work well?

One thing I know for sure is that I cant really judge how well it will work if I dont try it! I just dont want to ruin 3 perfectly good CRTs if I dont like it and want to put the shells back on them.

Thanks,
    Eric Tomlin-
    Learjet 45 Builder
    www.flightlevel180.org

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Bob Reed's Avatar

I am using 3 CRTs for the time being. 2 19s and a 17 and no I don't think I will be switching them over to LCDs in the near future. LCDs just do not have the same picture quality that the CRTs do. I thought about removing the cases to make more room and even called my brother ( his field is electronics) to see about doing it and after him and I looked them over I did not gain enough to even make it worth while. I would not build any part of the stand without having the panels on hand. A temp one maybe but know once the panels arrive you will have to make major changes!
    Bob Reed

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

Because of cost and the time factor involved, I'm now starting to lean once again in the direction of an LCD for my flight instrument display.

I don't want to do this, but I also don't want to wait another 18 months to two years before I have enough instruments installed to fly this thing.

The slimest framed LCD I've found is the Hans 17" widescreen from Newegg.com. It's also one of the cheapest, but it's specs are not all that great. It will do fine for an instrument display though.

If you decide to open a CRT cabinet be careful working around the big red wire from the back of the tube to the flyback transformer. There is a lot of voltage there.

What I have a hard time understanding about LCD's is that you'll pay twice to three times as much for an open-framed LCD monitor as you will for one that is available assembled and ready for use. I can't understand the logic in that.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Tomlin's Avatar

Well, for the Learjet, the PFD/EICAS is very close to the RMU screen, so I am thinking it will be almost mandatory to either remove them from the case, or actually buy a smaller LCD for the two RMUs. I just went home and confirmed via a printed out 1:1 template that the 17" CRTs will work just fine. It's down to the 15" now, and even when turned on its side it protrudes into the main display areas I believe. Of course, I may lose some of that width with the bezel(s) gone.

Thanks for pointing out the red wire-I will def. keep an eye out.

Regarding not building it till the panels arrive- I have been making progress toward making them myself at 1:1 since I have all the info and then (hopefully) once a vendor offers to build them for me, they should be within a milimeter or two according to the files I have. I figure that due to money, and especially the availability of the panels (or lack of) there's no reason to wait around and not at least try to build them myself, even if the lettering is going to be nearly impossible to pull off. This will not only save money till they are available, but get me flying much faster.

Michael, I know it's tempting to just use a display for your avionics. Maybe you can find a way to make it work to your pleasure. Didnt the gentleman down in South America do somthing similar in his awesome 727 sim?
    Eric Tomlin-
    Learjet 45 Builder
    www.flightlevel180.org

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

Joe down in the Bahamas did just that. But, he had to build his own instrument panels to replace the real panels, rebuild all of the Korry indicators and fake most of it, and generally accomodate the instrument panel to the monitors.

I'm doing it the other way around. Or so it seems to be heading in that direction. I refuse to sacrifice the authenticity of the real instrument panel. One way or another, I'm going to have instruments to use in this MIP.

I'm going to pick up that Hans 17" widescreen from Newegg in a couple of weeks. If it doesn't work out, at least I'll have another outside view monitor.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!