Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Panel gauges that will run from a second computer

I posted this in AVSIM but you guys are more hands on here and may have more info.

I am almost ready to start none flight testing on my T-38C cockpit. It has three separate monitors for gauges. I wish to use gauges that will stay in position and not adversely affect frame rates.

Does anyone have any recommendation on gauge sets that can be run from a second computer on separate monitors? I would prefer gauges that will run in both FS9 and FSX. However, if I have to settle for one, make it FSX.

Ideally, I would love to have gauges that match the ones in the T-38C. That is unlikely to happen with my non-existing programming skills. I am aware of Project Magenta. I could use some of their gauges but, I donít nearly see the value for the large cost outlay. These gauges are aimed at a different market than the fighter/military sims.

Something like the RealityXP gauges would be perfect if...they could run in FSX and be run via WideFS (or some other link) from a second or third computer. If such a program exists, I would be willing to pay a reasonable amount of money to the developers to add the T-38C graphics to their gauges.

I am willing to look at any and all options.
    John

System:
    ASUS P5Q SE/R
    Intel Q9550 O/C to 3.4 GHz
    4 GB 1066 DDR2 RAM
    300 GB WD 10,000 RPM Raptor SATA Drive
    GeForce 8800 GT 512 KB RAM
    Matrox TH2Go with three 19" Sumsung 940 BX
    IR Track 4

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Bob Reed's Avatar

Here is one source and I am still looking because I think there where more posted a week or so ago.... http://www.cockpitware.com/
    Bob Reed

500+ This must be a daytime job JBaymore's Avatar

In the payware department..... FSXpand is your friend for totally custom panel setups. You can mix and match as you please, arrange the gauges anywhere on the panel, use background bitmaps for gauge faces(if you have images of the real gauges), adjust the gauge scales and colorations for warning, and so on.

It is sort of like a combination of a PanelStudio and GaugeDesigner for in simulated cockpit gauges for a virtual type panel to install in a FS model. But it runs on separate computers. Needs paid FSUIPC.

I use it for my custom EICAS setup for my BAe 146-200.

Let me go and get the website address...... be right back.

EDIT.... OK... here you go: http://cockpitsolutions.com/flyware/

best,

....................john

Bob, I saw the Opencockpit stuff. I had forgotten about it. I am running OC IO cards so it might be a good fit?

John, are you using FSXpand? I tried the demo and had trouble getting it to run correctly. However, I will take another look when I am ready. right now most of my time and energy is going into the cockpit itself.

I like the concept of FSXpand. It provides you with better versatility.
    John

System:
    ASUS P5Q SE/R
    4 GB 1066 DDR2 RAM
    IR Track 4

500+ This must be a daytime job JBaymore's Avatar

John,

Yes, I use it for EICAS.

From what I have seen it is VERY sensitive to correct network setup. If the network is "cobbled"...... people seem to have problems.

I had it working absolutely flawlessly for a long time until I installed a couple of add-ons including Aerosoft's AES. I had it set up to autostart via the FUSUIPC RunOptions program. Worked great.

Now however, FSXpand (the "server" part of the program pair) causes a "hang" on the sim when it boots about 80% of the time. It goes "not responding". (See their forum there.) I then have to go and shut it down....... then let the sim's flight continue to boot up, go to windowed mode, start FSXpand, and then change back to full screen mode. And often now I get the dreaded "shimmering hourglass hang" ....and have to deal with THAT.

Pain in the butt.

But I am not willing to trade AES for convenience and I haven';t tracked down what else it might be....been VERY busy. So it may be something ELSE that is causing FSXpand to suddenly not work as expected or as it has been.

I can still get it to work... just a couple of extra steps...so I haven't done anything yet.

I still think it is a GREAT program with lots of potential. The main feature that is of interest if you are building a "non standard" cockpit (read that as something other than a 737, 747, or A320)... is the ability to configure the engine instruments to match the aircraft's specs. It is INVALUABLE!

best,

....................john

I have the system disconnected right now. The three small monitors are now mounted in the cockpit but, I would get connection. The server would say communicating with the client but nothing would happen on the instrument panel monitor.

Speaking of a non-standard pit. LOL As far as I know, I am the only person in the world building a T-38C and there is no model made for FSX. Talk about non-standard!

Thanks for the info,
    John

System:
    ASUS P5Q SE/R
    4 GB 1066 DDR2 RAM
    IR Track 4

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Bob Reed's Avatar

I actually thought about a T-38, even looked at buying a real sim that was lying around here for a while.. But then I cought the big iron bug....
    Bob Reed

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Reed View Post
    I actually thought about a T-38, even looked at buying a real sim that was lying around here for a while.. But then I cought the big iron bug....
    Bug, huh. Sorry to hear that. Come visit me and I will take you up in the T-38. We will do a max performance climb to angels 30 in about a minute. Then do some rolls and loops. Find a few cumulus clouds and play keep away with them as we dance and soar within the clouds but never let them touch us. We will end with a high speed pass with a pitch up to close for landing.

That will cure that old bug.

Or...you can take the cure I took. Select a F-11 out of flight school and, go on leave to be married. You return to find that the Air force has decided you canít fly the F-111 because of inexperience and in their infinite wisdom, have stuck you in a B-52 for the next four years.
    John

System:
    ASUS P5Q SE/R
    4 GB 1066 DDR2 RAM
    IR Track 4