10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Who talks to who? What hooks to what? The Basics

So I'm a bit confused as to what all the different software and hardware components are and do. Is there someone that might take the time to explain the basics, in general, of how one goes about getting a motion platform going. I've read Jims page and several others and obviously there is more than one way.

However, all the stuff I've read is outdated from what I can tell now that FSX is out. If there's already an article somewhere like this, please point me to it.

For example what is FSUIPC4 vs. Simconnect vs. Chcomm etc.
    WideFS?

My focus is on a motion platform. To get the actuators to move, what do I all need? At this point I intend to control the motion platform from a computer independant of the one running FSX. I'd prefer using USB, however from what i can tell...not many have done it yet, and if they have they didn't document it (that i know of).

To get the motor to move correctly perhaps a walkthru of exactly what happens when the pilot banks left would help me understand.

I don't know if this is right:
    For example, The pilot banks left, the aircraft attitude is extracted by FSUIPC4 (by talking to simconnect, FS's link to the outside world). Then another program (i.e. ChComm3a) extracts data from from FSUIPC4 and is used to send it to another computer. Now the data is on the "other" computer. Yet another program running on the 2nd PC takes this data now from ChComm3a and processes it and sends it out to a relay card that turns on the motors in the correct direction. But before the "power" gets to the motor, the rate at which it is delivered to the motor is gradually sent using a variable speed unit (VSU) of some sort? (i don't know what controls the VSU). Then finally, the motor receives the power and operates in the correct direction.

Is this at least somewhat correct?

Other questions i have are if Chcomm3a isn't fast enough, is there anything already out there that replaces it that is faster and uses usb?

I guess the ultimate question is, if you had endless money, how would you make a motion platform. (no, i don't have endless money!)

Hopefully you are still reading this! LOL Thanks for your replies!

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Tomlin's Avatar

Best of luck Kranky, as there's not a whole lot of folks that have done this to a very successful degree, although if they/we could, it would be nice.

I hope you can find some info. Try contacting Matt Sheil who has a motion system for a 747 he has at . http://www.hyway.com.au/747/
    Eric Tomlin-
    Learjet 45 Builder
    www.flightlevel180.org

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Bob Reed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tomlin View Post
    Best of luck Kranky, as there's not a whole lot of folks that have done this to a very successful degree, although if they/we could, it would be nice.

I hope you can find some info. Try contacting Matt Sheil who has a motion system for a 747 he has at . http://www.hyway.com.au/747/
    Yes but his sim does not use MSFS for the aircraft.. MSFS for him is just the visuals!.... The software they are using for the motion is designed specifically to talk to his sim software. So most of what he is doing is not applicable to a MSFS based sims....
    Bob Reed

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Tomlin's Avatar

This is true, and Im sorry for forgetting to mention that! Doh! Anyhow, it's a monumental task, but go for it!
    Last edited by Tomlin; 07-17-2007 at 03:32 PM. Reason: bad spelling
    Eric Tomlin-
    Learjet 45 Builder
    www.flightlevel180.org

300+ Forum Addict

Kranky,

I think your understanding is correct.

I haven't worked with FSUIPC for some time. I'm a few versions behind, so some of my comment may be outdated. Nonetheless...

FSUIPC is a module that can access FS data. To use it, a program first passes a list of desired data offsets. (Offsets are essentially pointers to the data). Next, the program tells FSUIPC to get the data. When FSUPIC returns, the program has data to work with.

SimConnect is a Microsoft API that allows a program to access FSX data. A program can access FSX data by making a call for each chunk of data or it can configure a SimConnect connection to automatically send periodic data. You set it up once and the data is continually made available. I believe that FSUIPC calls SimConnect to access FSX data.

If you're using FSX, there seems no reason not to simply use SimConnect to start with.

SimConnect was built with networking in mind. Possibly, SimConnect can be used to continually stream FSX data across a network connection. I would expect this to be faster than making multiple calls on FSUIPC and sending the data across a serial com port link.

SimConnect has an extensive SDK. The SDK includes many small demo programs, each illustrating two or three SimConnect functions. Further, there is a wealth of info on the AVSIM SimConnect forum.