Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Tomlin's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Yes, (boy has this thread taken a turn!) I agree, that is what makes this hobby so wonderful-the flexibility that we all have. Speaking of having 1 aircraft simulated to the 'T' versus having something a bit more generic for flexibility, that's one of the biggest reasons I switched from the B737NG to the Learjet 45. I love all kinds of airplanes, and the 737NG to me is one of the most perfect airliners to simulate simply because of all the real parts available (which have in turn lead to the development of replica parts). However, with that project, I had become obsessed with building the airplane to the 'T' and therefore I knew that I would never be happy with a home built panel, or yokes, or seats and since I just happend to be acquaintances with a guy down the road a ways with a real 737 nose/yokes/seats/liner parts, I just HAD to buy that for myself one day. Then, thankfully, I spent a week in Tallahassee, FL on a business trip and 3 out of the 5 nights I was there, I was able to sit out on the bench at a very busy FBO that catered to PC-12s, L45's, Citation jets, Embraers, and the like. The next day after the first night out at the FBO, while sitting in my training class, my mind kept going back to the flight line and it dawned on me- Build a bussiness jet and dont get so attached to the aircraft type that you go mad by trying to replicate every nut and bolt.

And here I am now, 9 months later, and very happy to be building the L45, but not allowing my self to get too wrapped up in the smallest details like the exact color, real seats, or even all the systems. I can say with assurance that if I were still planning for a 737NG, I would have nothing more than the PMDG737NG and my computer, simply because I could never grasp the concept of buy a little at a time and build slowly as you can afford. Because I forced myself to lighten up a bit, I have went from 1 pc running FS9 to 3 pcs running FS9, PMRJ, a SYS3 interface board, switches that are functional, and soon the throttle quad will be finished and the interconnected yokes will begin construction.

Im not advocating not building the ultimate aircraft of your dreams, because if I had the money to do it as I demand for the 737NG or the 777, I would build one in a heartbeat. But, I know that it's beyond my means right now and Im satisfied taking the path I have chosen.

And, to full fill the urge to fly the 737, 777, Baron 58, or the PC12, I will just fly them using the joystick from the instructor's station!
    Eric Tomlin-
    Learjet 45 Builder
    www.flightlevel180.org

brissydave
    do i love building or flying or both....my two cents worth.

1 wake up...grab missus on boobs.
    2 open shed
    3 get tools out
    4 work like a crazy maniac covered in sweat and mdf all day...also pushing wife off pc to scan pictures over and over and over.
    5 is it right?....is it perfect?....hmmmm
    6 yes!...it is...yipee!!
    7 get beer....drink beer in captains seat.
    8 admire new part....and giggle like a girl.
    9 go inside house to finish rest of beer carton and dream of the next wonderful part to make.
    10 grab missus on boobs.
    11 go to bed.

Hey Brissy,

Do you ever get to fly as well? Your detailed 'list' failed to mention that so I think the MDF dust is seriously impacting your better judgement

Maurice

brissydave
    hey morry...hope you are well big buddy.

i do love the flying part...but it is something that i am looking forward to...ive put it up on a pedestal.

when building the sim i generally have to have it running at altitude so i can test stuff and hook things up with io cards. and it just looks/feels nice.

finished renovating yet mate?....those pics of you sim look fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by brissydave View Post
    hey morry...hope you are well big buddy.

i do love the flying part...but it is something that i am looking forward to...ive put it up on a pedestal.

when building the sim i generally have to have it running at altitude so i can test stuff and hook things up with io cards. and it just looks/feels nice.

finished renovating yet mate?....those pics of you sim look fantastic.
    I like to killed my self from heat stroke yesterday in the workshop. I should buy a couple of AC units for the place.
    John

System:
    ASUS P5Q SE/R
    Intel Q9550 O/C to 3.4 GHz
    4 GB 1066 DDR2 RAM
    300 GB WD 10,000 RPM Raptor SATA Drive
    GeForce 8800 GT 512 KB RAM
    Matrox TH2Go with three 19" Sumsung 940 BX
    IR Track 4

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

Man, my basement is AC'ed. I don't think I'd be doing much building if it wasn't. I hate the summer heat.

I swore after I left the military I'd never have another outside job.

Spring, autumn, and winter I can handle, even sub-zero temps for extended periods, but have the medics standing by for me in the summer if I have to do anything outside and it's above 90 with a dew point hovering around the 65-70 degree mark.

Like right now here in Southern Illinois.

ANYWAY...I like building as much as I like flying, real or simulated. To be able to reproduce an unaffordable or unobtainable part in exact, or near exact detail is a real thrill for me and just drives me harder for more of the same. If I can reproduce a Boeing 727 throttle quadrant, I can surely build a chair to fly the thing.

Since I started this thing almost four years ago, I've built stuff I've only dreamed of owning but couldn't because of availability or cost. Usually the latter.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!