1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Tomlin's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Flying your sim-Transitioning from Desktop to Flight Deck

When you make that change from Desktop Simulation to Flight Deck Simulation, how hard was it for you to get used to the huge increase in distance from your instruments to the outside view, and even more importantly, getting used to your frame of reference due to not having the same perspective now, such as having the entire front view showing instead of just a little bit. In MSFS desk simming, you have the glareshield giving a point of reference, but when you make the step up, it's a whold new ball of wax!

Comments are looked forward to.
    Eric Tomlin-
    Learjet 45 Builder
    www.flightlevel180.org

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Bob Reed's Avatar

How hard? I think it made things easer as far as view point is concerned, yes it meant learning more about the real air craft... But the end result was very satisfying I would not call it harder...
    Bob Reed

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Tomlin's Avatar

Thanks Bob

Well, to help understand my question just a bit, I know that when I fly for real from the right seat of a friend's Maule, it's really hard to have to look over to the left to see the panel, since there are none on the right hand side, but that's not really what we are doing in our sims, but still, having only 2 inches to move your eyes in the desktop sim vs. 12-16 inches in the sim, Im sure it can be a handful to get used to at first. Case in point, I have PMRJ running now and sometimes, just to get a better idea of what the will be like (although I dont currently have a panel or projector installed yet) I turn off the panel view (Shift-1) and then use only the PMRJ instruments. It's not long before I have to go back to the panel view so I can access radios, autopilot, etc. but it's a way different look when landing, due to no physical panel or a rendered panel for reference. But, thinking back, when I got to fly the Boeing P-8 simulator that FDS helped put together for the Boeing/US Nave project, I did feel at home flying it since I was so used to the PMDG 737NG at home! So I guess I just answered my own question- not such a huge transition AS LONG AS the eyepoint is configured properly and the 'crabbing' effect is dealt with!
    Eric Tomlin-
    Learjet 45 Builder
    www.flightlevel180.org

500+ This must be a daytime job JBaymore's Avatar

It is all about what you ae USED to.

Remember the last time you changed automobiles? Took a bit to get "comfortable" with the new locations of switches, shifts, where the gas gauge was located, and so on.

Once you "fly" your "aircraft" for a while....... you'll know the panel and overhead like you know your car's switches and buttons.... for example you won't even have to look to flip on the landing lights.

The issue I have is the same one that I have in a car....... instruments are often close up......road (outside view monitor) is further away. My eyesight (being an old fa%#) is not what it used to be. Adjusting eye focus back and forth is annoying sometimes.

At first..... it does seem strange... nothing is where you expect it to be. But soon.... flying with the on-screen panels and such will feel just as strange.

best,

....................john

Personally my first flight with a panel + external view was amazing compared to my single screen flight. Suddenly I could keep an eye on the runway, and just glance at my instruments rather than scroll down. Then again I don't have a projector at this point or similar 'long distance' external display.

FSX | Piper Warrior | GoFlight

MyCockpit Support Staff

It's like changing from looking through the shop window and occasionally kicking the tyres, to driving off the lot in a new machine. Reality bites!
    Losing the mouse is great, I rarely need it these days. I can't imagine flying from a desktop again, it's been two years since I did that...

Gwyn

737NG using Prosim737, Immersive Calibration Pro, Aerosim Solutions motorized TQ & cockpit hardware, CP Flight MCP & FDS SYS1X, SYS2X & SYS4X, FDS PRO FMCs, AFDS units & Glarewings, Matrix Orbital ELEC display, Pokeys Landing & Cruise alt display, Buttkicker Gamers, 3 x BenqMW811ST projectors with a Matrox Th2Go
    http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au
    Supporter of MyCockpit.org, please join me in donating!!!