10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Multi monitor single CPU setup

Hello!

I'm going to build a new rig for FS9/FSX but as a newbie I have a lot of questions.

I would like to build multi monitor setup for single CPU, so no need for networking! In my KingAir home cockpit will be 2 projectors for visual connected to 8800GT, 2 displays with 7900GS for MIP, 1 display for over head panel and 1 dispay for pedestal (autopilot and pressurisation panels) with cheap PCIE GPU. I won't activate SLI function becauce it won't work with different GPU and it is not supported.

I think MSI P7N or P7N Zilent (with Zalman 9500) is good mobo due to 1 PCIE 16x and 2 PCIE 8x slots. It is possible to connect two displays to the every GPU, isn't it?

I also need connect D9 connector to mobo for FSBUS and D25 for LCD-display (4x20 char.) How this can be done if modo doesn't has connctors mentioned above? With USB adabters?

Due to multiple GPU the prossessors should be fast, I think? Intel E7200 or E8400 have good reputation even if they are over clocked to 4 GHz, but will they do the job? Or should I buy Quad core? Is it important to have fast FSB? Is there any noticeable difference between 1066 or 1333MHz? How important is the size of the prosessor cache?

Memory and timings are confusing things to me. Which one is more important, more capacity or timings? I think DDR2 800Mhz CL5/6 4 Gb is better than 2Gb 800Mhz CL4. I mention the 800 Mhz memory becauce it is the fastest supported speed by P7N.

I will be using Win XP SP3 because I have read that it is more stable than Vista but I will be losing Dx10. Is there a lot visible difference in the screen between Dx9 and Dx10?

Power supply will be quite effective. I have been thinking Corsair PSU 650W or 750W. Corsair 650 W has only 2 PCIE power cables but 750W has 4 PCIEs. Will I need 2 or 4 PCIE power cables?

HDD will be old Pata 250 Gb. Shall I buy a new one?

I hope I will get good replies and comments, Thank You!

Timo

Based on my own experience this setup will not work well on FSX. I didnt try FS9 but on FSX your performance will be unacceptable.

Boeing 777 Builder

Timo,

There are lots of discussions in this forum on this very subject. Obviously because it's central to our sims. Orion is correct, you're asking a lot from your system with 3 graphics cards and 6 monitors hanging off them. I'm sure it will run FSX under this configuration but don't expect great performance. In answer to some of your questions however:

1. Yes you can run two monitors off each video card.
    2. You can get Serial port DB9 to USB adaptors.
    3. FS is primarily CPU dependent so get the fastest processor you can afford, and yes Quad core helps.
    4. Memory timings are a very tricky area. If you don't know what your doing I would stick with factory recommended timing. Not sure how much of a difference it would make in the end anyway. The amount of RAM does make a difference, however you need to remember that windows won't utilize more than 2Gb unless running a 64bit version operating system i.e. XP64 or Vista64.
    5. As for the difference between DX9 or 10, it's eye candy! I would rather have a smooth running sim, than high reflectivity on water and sexy sun-glare.
    6. With all those video cards get a powerful PSU. I would be looking at 1000W if you can afford it. Probably more than you need but good to have the overhead.
    7. Get a larger HDD such as 500Gb Seagate Barracuda which has a larger 32Mb cache or a even a super fast Raptor drive if you afford it. You'll chew up that 250Gb disc pretty fast these days.

Oh, and most importantly, and I repeat this on every hardware post, get a payware defrag program if you want to add at least 10 FPS to your sim performance! I use Ultimate Defrag from Disktrix and swear by it. (no I'm not affiliated with them in anyway, just a happy customer). It'll be the best $30 you'll spend.

Other than that I suggest reading the many posts at Avsim on this subject HERE particularly posts from user Nic-N. There are some lads over there that have silicone running through their veins.

Ken.
    Opencockpits | Aerosim Solutions | Sim-Avionics | P3D | FDS | FTX | AS16 | PPL | Kennair

4. Thanks mterm, fweinrebe, harpatin thanked for this post
    10+ Posting Member

Many thanks for Your replies!

What if I will have less displays? Let's say only four, 2 for visual and 2 for MIP? Does it help to get acceptable frame rates?

What if I keep on 6 display setup, what kind a system I should build? Core7i with X58?

Timo

500+ This must be a daytime job BHawthorne's Avatar

I suggest no more than 3 displays for 3D outside simulator view using a Matrox Digital TripleHead2Go. You might be able to get away with using a few 2D desktop displays also that run external gauges though. 2D mode isn't going to impact performance as much as the 3D mode. There are other ways to multi-mon using multiple computers, but that's outside the scope of your question and my knowledge.

That being said I run an ASUS 790FX 4 video card slot AMD Phenom system. It currently has 4 EVGA 8800GS video cards installed. I've yet to use the system in FSX or FS9 though. I mostly use it for multitasking on the desktop. Multi-video card systems have a very narrow focus as what they can do in 3D. While FSX can do special multicard 3D rendering, it's isn't the norm. Don't expect multiple display to work in full screen mode on any other game without a TH2G or SoftTH.

Quote Originally Posted by harpatin View Post
    What if I keep on 6 display setup, what kind a system I should build? Core7i with X58?
    i7 and X58 would be a nice system, probably the best atm for that type of thing. That's not to say FSX won't tax that system too though. FSX has very high demands regardless of the hardware used.

10+ Posting Member

Thanks for Your replies!

I have to think my setup again. Maybe I'll reduce the number of displays and build servo controller to run the gauges and buy THTG. I hope that will help me to get better frame rates.

On the other hand the new technology will be more powerful, so if I wait year or two I'll get what I want, won't I?

Timo

PS
    Ken, Congratulations for Your trophy, You have earned it!