Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Wink

Hello,
    the flight director (FD) displays guidance commands from the Flight Management and guidance Computer (Airbus:FMGC), (Boeing:FMS) on the Primary Flight Display (PFD).
    You may fly the aircraft manually, following FMGC or FMS guidance commands or crosscheck the FMGC, FMS orders when the autopilot is engaged.
    The FD pitch and roll (cross, or v-bars) show pitch and roll demands generated by the respective Flight Management unit to keep the aircraft on a selected flightpath.
    The pitch channel is displayed if a vertical mode (ALT HOLD,V/S, V-NAV,LCNG or GS) is engaged.
    The roll channel is displayed if a lateral mode (HDG,L-NAV or LOC) is engaged.
    During manual approach the use of the FD is strictly recommended to keep the aircraft within limits.
    Brian

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar

Hey Ryan, sorry I took so long to respond. I think what we have learned here is that you should be able to follow the FD all the way down, and is actually recommended. As we have learned the fd is a little slow to respond in PM. So here is what I offer. Sometime over the next couple days (Sooner if the Wife doesn't come up with any more chores for me) I will attempt to see how my FD behaves flying the ILS.

I will keep you posted.

Best regards, Trev

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

The problem I have with the FD is mostly during cruise when making a course change. The bat wings will be hauled all the way to the left or right after selecting a new frequency or heading on the HSI.

I know which way I have to turn and how much intercept angle to use. I don't know about the newer Boeings and Airbus FD's but the Sperry FD109 is not very worthwhile during cruise.

After setting up for cruise, with the aircraft 'on step' you have to manually turn a knob on the FD panel to set the bat wings where your cruise attitude is. Well, I already know what that attitude is, why do I need a device to tell what that attitude is that I have to set to begin with?

That attitude will also change over time with fuel burn-off, so then you get to adjust it again for a setting you already are aware of.

?????

For a missed approach or a go-around it does help out though. After the Go-Around paddles are punched on the throttle, the FD is commanded to the pitch attitude needed for climb out. This is the only instance in the 727 where it is extremely useful, and it's the only time that it's automatic.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!