Thread: Chelton System

150+ Forum Groupie
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Chelton System

Has anybody here ever used the Chelton EFIS on a sim?

It uses the Flightlogic synthetic vision and also the HITS (highway in the sky) .

They are a very nice EFIS and would be great for a sim.

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor AndyT's Avatar

Question

I agree but its very expensive. Or do you know of one written for FS?
    God's in command, I'm just the Pilot.
    http://www.geocities.com/andytulenko/

10+ Posting Member

Spit 9:

I was wondering if the "demonstrator & training mode" might be useful on this as I was flying home in the back of the Citation from La Ronge yesterday. Unfortunately, it would mean transferring it from the airplane to the sim ... which would cause all kinds of admin problems in the organization. Dean, Bob and I spoke extensively on this and I have a real "fire in my belly" to see it happen.

Hopefully someone will come up with a few suggestions, as it figures heavily in my semi-retirement plans for next year. You and I might become pretty busy on a Convair 580 sim project if all the stars align properly.

Talk to you soon, and I hope to get to PA over the next few weeks so we can start to scribble something out on paper.

Regards,
    Lee

150+ Forum Groupie

Yes,, they are way to expensive but there is one written for Fs9. It comes with the Rockwell112.

I don't know how many of the Chelton functions actually work but I think I'll give it a try and see.

Lee,, the training program probably won't work with Fs9 or any other sim. There is a company (link in the Chelton website) that offers sim training for the system. The small desktop sim they use doesn't have any outside display. I think the yoke and pedals etc just run the Chelton display screen.
    Again,, I have no idea if this could be incorporated into Fs9 or not. It will be worth looking into.

It would be great if RealityXP or a similar company would model a Chelton as they do great work with their Wxradar and GPS stuff!I'll look into that and see if they are planning such a project.

I was also wondering how hard it would be or even if its possible to install the Rockwell 2D Chelton panel into another aircraft model. Like the 580 for instance and would it then accurately represent the aircraft speeds etc???

Lee,, I talked to Bob yesterday and he is quite keen to get this project on the go. Controls like the yokes, throttle and panels are available which will make things a lot easier.
    To buy a cockpit style procedures trainer would be very ,very expensive and I'm sure we could build one better and cheaper.

I also had a chance to show Bob this great website and give him an idea at the professional quality of work that is coming out of the sim building community here. He was awestruck at some of the sims the guys here are building. I showed him a Youtube video of a guy doing a realtime Vatsim IFR flight in his homebuilt simulator. With this kind of thing it is very hard to use the term "amateur" , as the quality of most of the projects being done by the people on this website rival most commercial sims out there.

10+ Posting Member

Superb Bri .... I looked at the 112 panel and we should be able to reach some kind of agreement with them to use the Chelton model on a stand alone basis and import it into other aircraft if I grovel & snivel effectively. As you know, I'm just smarmy enough to pull it off ... LOL

This could be a super-fun project and getting it approved and going forms a strong part of my decision for next bombing season.

L