Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Free Weather Radar Program?

Greetings all, I currently am using Glass Flight Deck v1.05 for my MCP, I am also using FreeFD for my PFD, ND, EICAS, TCAS, FMC, and Standby gauges, both programs were free and seem to work well together, and I can somewhat control the AP in FS9 using the mouse interface on my MCP displayed on a TFT on my MIP. The ND from FreeFD has many modes including TCAS, but no weather radar. Does anyone know of a free or cheap weather radar module or program? I see plenty of Weather Radar gauges but no external modules. I want the module version as I have a simpit and my forward display reperesents the windscreen view and I do not want to have a gauge just hanging there. I though I had seen where someone had used a waeather module and displyed it using Project Magentas ND. Any help would be greatly appreciated, BTW when is mycockpit going to have a fly-in?

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

This isn't free, but it's considered the best by some: Reality XP WX Radar.

I have it because it was bundled as a freebie with the Flight One / Dreamfleet Boeing 727.

It is an excellent program. It processes real-time weather from either Active Sky, FS, or IVAO and VATSIM.

If you buy it separately, I think it's either $25 or $35 US dollars.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar

The other unit you might have seen us talking about is SA_WXR This is a program with limited support, but it too costs money to register.

I do not believe anyone has any free weather radar displays. If you find one, consider it a good find.

Best regards,

Trev

500+ This must be a daytime job JBaymore's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ak49er View Post
    ......I am also using FreeFD for my PFD, ND, EICAS, TCAS, FMC, and Standby gauges, both programs were free ........The ND from FreeFD has many modes including TCAS, but no weather radar. Does anyone know of a free or cheap weather radar module or program?
    Hi.

I too use FreeFD at the moment for my ND and PFD. Would also like a weather radar add-in for the FreeFD ND. Too bad Don Lafontaine dropped finishing that software. Oh well.

You mentioned that you use the FreeFD EICAS. Most people I have hear had REAL trouble with that part of the FreeFD suite. I can't get it to run at decent framerates either (which is the stated "problem"). How do you get it running? What version are you using?

Also you mention the FreeFD FMC. Never seen that. Where did you get it?

I have moved to FSXpand for a lot of stuff now. Seems like a good alternative to FreeFD...... price is not too steep.

Appreciate any info you can give.

best,

.....................john

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Hale View Post
    The other unit you might have seen us talking about is SA_WXR This is a program with limited support, but it too costs money to register.

I do not believe anyone has any free weather radar displays. If you find one, consider it a good find.
    Trev,

Your comment above seems to imply a possible "lack" of supprot for that WX radar. I have been looking at possibly purchasing it. Any further feedback?

best,

..................john

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar

I would like to purchase it as well, however apparently it takes days not hours to get a key after you purchase it. Also there have been some people here that have said their support forums are ignored.

I have no experience, with their support, all I know is the IMHO I am waiting to see what other software will become available to work with the ND for magenta. Before I give more money to someone who will not improve or support their product.

Trev

Crap! That does not sound good. Thanks for the candid (and VERY fast) reply.

I really want a weather radar available in my pit. Guess I'll have to keep searching.

best,

...............john

FreeFD

Thank-you for your replies. My configuration is FS9,FSUIPC,WideView, FSWide, running on an XP Machine, My Glass COcokpit software runs on Windows 2000 Professional. I believe that limits me from using Reality XP. (XP means Windows XP right?) I need to research the SA_WXR for its OS requirements. I am not sure what version I am using, I am not at my sim now but it is the one from the linki from the WEBWayback site linked through a guy on avsim the forums. I too am having trouble with the frame rates and it manifests itself on the two different CPU's I am runnning it on, but it is a minor problem for me, I just move the throttles slower than normal to cpmensate, which makes for smoother speed transitions. I beleive the FMC came standard with that download. I cannot confirm until Tuesday night. Its has a beige color skin to it. Additionally, I like using the FreeFD as it has guages EICAS configurations for Airbus, 747, 737, and others, which allows me to configure for different aircraft.

I don't know if the XP in that title means that is the only operating system it works under or not. Sorry.

I am not sure what version I am using, I am not at my sim now but it is the one from the linki from the WEBWayback site linked through a guy on avsim the forums. .
    Interesting. I am the originator/moderator of the SimV Homebuild Cockpits forum....... and I put up a hotlink on a sticky a LONG while ago to the WEBwayback machine link I found for the FreeFD software. Didn't know that FreeFD was listed somewhere on AVSIM too. Got a link for there by any chance?

I too am having trouble with the frame rates and it manifests itself on the two different CPU's I am runnning it on, but it is a minor problem for me, I just move the throttles slower than normal to cpmensate, which makes for smoother speed transitions. ........... ........ ............ Additionally, I like using the FreeFD as it has guages EICAS configurations for Airbus, 747, 737, and others, which allows me to configure for different aircraft.
    I gave up on it it was so problematic. Go to FlywareFSX site ( http://cockpitsolutions.com/flyware/ ) and check out FSXpand. They have a time limited demo version. I think you'll like it.

I beleive the FMC came standard with that download. I cannot confirm until Tuesday night. Its has a beige color skin to it.
    Really! I don't remember that as an option in that download package. Maybe the AVSIM posting has a link to a different and later version than the one I searched out. I've been using FreeFD for years........ didn't realize it had a FMC. I know that Don Lafontaine STARTED on a CDU unit.... but it was never finished beyond a "first go" ... unless I missed something.

And have you been able to update the database for the ND navigation? I have been trying to figure out what format it is in so that I can update it. The waypoints are LONG outdated, and many are missing now.

Appreciate your thoughts.

best,

....................john

For the price, free if you have purchased any PM software, it's hard to beat WhazzUp Plus with pmWeather. It's not the prettiest or most accurate. Not only does it display weather on the ND when selected on the EFIS (WX) but will display terrain as well when selected (TER). Plus you can use your ACARS function in the CDU to get your destination wx while enroute. Those others are better to look at but then again I have dust bunnies living in my wallet.
    Lyle Kirgan
    B737NG SSTD Owner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast