25+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Company FP's flushed away

I installed the latest version of the CDU SW.
    Maybe its not particularly related to this new version but still the following question:
    I used to build my FP's with FSbuild but it seems that the CDU doesn't read the format properly. So now I program the routes directly into the CDU and saves them by using the SAVE option in the RTE page (pressing RTE twice). I give them a name like EHAMEDDS and can confirm that they are saved by looking into the routes folder where I see the FP appear with the .cfp extension (EHAMEDDS.cfp). I'm even able to recall the FP into the CDU after deleting the departure and arrival airports in the RTE page.
    But after exiting the CDU SW the FP's I just programmed and saved are deleted again. Is this normal behaviour or am I doing something wrong here?

I don't have an answer about flight plans being deleted, but I'm very surprised about you saying the CDU doesn't read the format properly when using FSBuild to create the plan. While this is true, I use FSBuild all the times and the flight plans I create can fairly easily be used in the CDU.

There are a few steps you must follow to accomplish that and it is a bit of a pain, but it does work. You need to save your FSBuild flight plan in the FS4 format, then you open the FS4 flight plan inside FS. Once it is open, you save it immediately back to FS without making any changes.
    In the CDU now, you hit RTE twice and then LOAD FS & the latest saved flight plan will be loaded properly. Works every time for me. If you need to load a different flight plan later, you must again open it in FS and immediately save it since the CDU will only open the latest saved plan.

Hope this helps,
    Maurice

25+ Posting Member

Hi Maurice,

First of all; the issue with the FP's that were flushed is solved. It was a setting in the CDU.ini file. Thomas Richter pointed me to this.
    About FSbuild FP's; Let me say that in earlier releases of the CDU (380 something and before) my FSbuild plans were always loaded correctly, even without the procedure as you are describing. This was extremely convenient as I could generate the plan and distribute it through the various users in my flightdeck (e.g. PM CDU, FS9 and FS navigator) with the touch of a button.
    Now, the CDU loads only the DEP and ARR airports (not the waypoints in between) of Flighplans that were corretly loaded in earlier releases. So thats a difference of which I don't know how this happened. It seems that the CDU now handles the plans differently.

Quote Originally Posted by touwersl View Post
    Hi Maurice,
    Let me say that in earlier releases of the CDU (380 something and before) my FSbuild plans were always loaded correctly, even without the procedure as you are describing.
    That is very interesting to me. How did you do that? I did not invent my procedure & I'm pretty sure I found it in some PM documentation somewhere. If I can do it with fewer steps with my current CDU release, I would be delighted
    Do you remember how you loaded the FSBuild plans with the earlier CDU releases?

Thanks,
    Maurice

For me, I save from FSBUILD into a FSX XML flight plan. Then, once FSX loaded, I load the flight plan and save straight away. Then I load into the CDU and everything works great!

I just flew a round-robin today between KSTL and KGRR using this routine:

1. Build both FP's using FSBuild
    2. While in FS9, open flight planner and load the KSTL-KGRR one and allow aircraft to be moved to the location required ( I use gateKeeper with FSBuild so this always places my aircraft at the proper gateway.)
    3. In the CDU under POSITION enter the departure airport (KSTL in my example)
    4. On the ROUTES page KSTL is still in the SCRATCH pad so I line select it to LSK1, DEP airport.
    5. Hit the RTE button then select load fp from fs, to which it then loads the KSTL-KGRR flight plan that I just built in FSBuild and loaded with FS9 flightplanner.
    6. Verify legs page and complete pre-flight, go fly.

I have never had to do the save routine you all talk about but then again if it works for you keep doing it.

I have seen in the past that if an airport is not in the database (such as KABQ) it'll put something like W105 as DEP and or ARR airport and give bogus waypoints. Then you have to enter manually which isn't all that bad either.
    Lyle Kirgan
    B737NG SSTD Owner