Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Well, should I or shouldn't.......

For the last few weeks I've been browsing the photo gallery on here. I've been watching loads of youtube videos on one thing..... and thats the 737NG. It would seem that its very popular amongst flight sim enthusiast. Although I have flown the default 737 in FS2004 I guess nothing compares to the PMDG version of this jet.

Not to mention that there is far more hardware available for this particular jet than there is for the B747. And I am finding myself thinking everyday about purchasing the PMDG 737NG just to see and experience the jet that is so popular amongst the pit building community. One thing that catches my eye amongst looking at photos and videos of this thing is the overhead panel and how cool it really is. The overhead panels featured in alot of the builders on here, whether its from FDS or handcrafted look amazingly awesome! Not to mention that I have fallen in love with afew peoples 737 Throttle Quadrant

Yes I do have a mind and can think on my own and stuff but I thought I would come on here and see what you fine folks will say when I ask:

Should I buy the PMDG 737NG? And why should I buy this particular aircraft when the 747 is much bigger? I guess size doesn't matter but just indulge me lol.

MyCockpit Support Staff

PMDG 737 is fantastic! and 737 parts are available in many places. 747 limits the airports you can visit and short hops in the 747 are not so easy. My set up is sweet on one PC. Highly recommended, go for it, or find a big notebook to keep track of your problems and difficulties. I will explain how my set up works by email if you want Lee. Default 737 is a waste of space.

Gwyn

737NG using Prosim737, Immersive Calibration Pro, Aerosim Solutions motorized TQ & cockpit hardware, CP Flight MCP & FDS SYS1X, SYS2X & SYS4X, FDS PRO FMCs, AFDS units & Glarewings, Matrix Orbital ELEC display, Pokeys Landing & Cruise alt display, Buttkicker Gamers, 3 x BenqMW811ST projectors with a Matrox Th2Go
    http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au
    Supporter of MyCockpit.org, please join me in donating!!!

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Bob Reed's Avatar

Hi ChaosFX. I too loved the 747. And I was looking over things and trying to decide which AC to build because I liked the looks of the 737NG too. Looked a lot like the "Queen" from the drivers seat! But then I started looking at what airports I would like to use, what length of flight I would like to make most of the time. That kinda changed me to ether the A320 or the 737. Then I found out a little of how the OH works in the 737. It is one of the last few AC where the pilot actually controls what goes on. In most modern AC you set all the switches to "on" or "Auto" in the OH and as you start the AC up they all just come on. Not the 737.. When you flip that switch you turn on or off that system. The pilot still controls the aircraft. That sold it for me 737. And because of the cool factor and range and ability to land it almost anywhere that has help make it popular which of course has allowed companies to make more parts for it which makes it more popular!!
    Bob Reed

PMDG 737 is fantastic! and 737 parts are available in many places. 747 limits the airports you can visit and short hops in the 747 are not so easy. My set up is sweet on one PC. Highly recommended, go for it, or find a big notebook to keep track of your problems and difficulties. I will explain how my set up works by email if you want Lee. Default 737 is a waste of space.

Wait, your only using one computer for your simpit?? The shortest flight I've done in a 747 was from San Diego to San Fran.

Hi ChaosFX. I too loved the 747. And I was looking over things and trying to decide which AC to build because I liked the looks of the 737NG too. Looked a lot like the "Queen" from the drivers seat! But then I started looking at what airports I would like to use, what length of flight I would like to make most of the time. That kinda changed me to ether the A320 or the 737. Then I found out a little of how the OH works in the 737. It is one of the last few AC where the pilot actually controls what goes on. In most modern AC you set all the switches to "on" or "Auto" in the OH and as you start the AC up they all just come on. Not the 737.. When you flip that switch you turn on or off that system. The pilot still controls the aircraft. That sold it for me 737. And because of the cool factor and range and ability to land it almost anywhere that has help make it popular which of course has allowed companies to make more parts for it which makes it more popular!!

What I found out on the 747 is when I do a cold start or whatever you call it, I have everything shut off. After getting power to the aircraft the the buttons on Main 1 through Main 4 activate by themselves some times and its like wait it a minute, is there a ghost in my cockpit?? That kinda annoys me. And the other reason I'm beginning to like the 737, even though I haven't flown the PMDG version.... yet, is because like you say, there are more parts available for it.

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Bob Reed's Avatar

Yes Westozy's pit is all on one computer using the PMDG 737. Kinda nice. I have to fire up about 8 computers right now when I want to fly. I am not complaining mind you... Just stating a fact.
    Bob Reed

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Reed View Post
    Yes Westozy's pit is all on one computer using the PMDG 737. Kinda nice. I have to fire up about 8 computers right now when I want to fly. I am not complaining mind you... Just stating a fact.
    Then he must have a really fast computer lol. Yeah Gwyn, if you have the time, email me your setup. I'm curious to know how you are running everything on one computer.

EDIT:

Was wondering, does anyone know where I could find a video tutorial on the startup sequence for the 737NG? I found a tutorial done in a PDF file format but if there is a video tutorial out there, I'd like to view it.

Well curiosity got the best of me. I went ahead and purchased the aircraft and I just have to say..... WOW! Just WOW!

I wasn't too thrilled about the virtual cockpit but I flew the thing anyways. Actually I'm downloading the expansion pack right now which has a way better virtual cockpit.

Of course when you first load a flight, the jet is on and I wanted the thing off so I went and googled me some tutorials on this thing. I found one in a PDF file format and it had a pic of what the panel looks like with everything turned off. It took me 5 minutes to figure out how to turn the engines off. Finally noticed that there are 2 cutoff switches on the throttle. Should have known that already because the 747 cutoff switches are in the same spot lol. De De De lol. Then I got to reading a little more on how to power the system up and had trouble following along. I hate reading anyways lol. So I went to youtube and found a video on how to do a cold start with this thing.

Engines are running. I'm pushing back and getting ready to take off from Detroit metro. As I'm taxiing I'm setting up the cruising altitude of 7500 and setting the take off speed manually. I haven't messed around with the FMC yet because this is just a test flight: Take off from metro, circle around and land. I take off and hit autopilot and I'm autopiloting the plane and got thinking how well would this thing do if I flew it manual. Disengaged the autopilot and autothrottle, didn't even circle the airport or anything like that. I banked hard to the left and deployed my flaps and landed safely and manually. I glided right onto that runway and I'm not very good at manual landings lol but I have been practicing in the 747 before I got this jet.

I am really inpressed with this line of jet. And I understand more on why its so popular. Just tickering around with the overhead panel was so cool and hearing the engines turn on and stuff was just sweet! I can't imagine... yet, on what it really feels like to sit in a simulator thats an exact replica of the 737.

I have a new girlfriend now and her name is 737NG

Here is a small replay clip of the first landing that I did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFzdluxvIzU

MyCockpit Support Staff

One PC set-up

Hi Lee, I may aswel spell it out here,

My PC isn't that quick, in fact it's a bit tired at 3 years old. It is a 2.8Ghz P4, 1Ghz ram and I really need a new faster one. I bought a Matrox Parhelia 128mg Triple head video card on Ebay and I use it in "stretched" mode with 3 monitors. The resolution becomes 3072 x 768. Monitor 1 is the feed to the projector and I also have a 19" monitor to the side of my sim on a splitter displaying the same outside view, this is where I can see the pop up FMC & Radio panels etc. Monitor 2 is for the Captain's Attitude & Navigation display and this also has a splitter feeding the FO's monitor showing the same image. Monitor 3 is for the centre EICAS display. When FS starts in stretched mode, you have to grab the R/H side of the FS window and drag it left until FS is only displayed on monitor 1. (Monitors 2 & 3 go black) As you are probably aware, the displays in PMDG are "Open GL" and they pop out and become bigger. (By the way, you have to run FS in 'Window" mode, not full screen mode). Pop out the displays and drag them to the appropriate positions on monitors 2 & 3. Resize the windows until they fill the square cut-outs on the MIP. When all of the windows are sized and in the right place, save the flight. This flight has to be loaded before going anywhere else so the windows are correct on every boot up. I call my flight "737 Set Up", that's it!
    My frame rates aren't the best around busy scenery (10-12), and about 20 FPS in general flight. What my new plan is to buy a faster video card with a Matrox Triplehead2go and set it all up again in the same method, this should improve frame rates. The CP Flight MCP and EFIS units plug in USB and operate PMDG brilliantly after a little keystroke programming.

Hope this helps!

Gwyn

737NG using Prosim737, Immersive Calibration Pro, Aerosim Solutions motorized TQ & cockpit hardware, CP Flight MCP & FDS SYS1X, SYS2X & SYS4X, FDS PRO FMCs, AFDS units & Glarewings, Matrix Orbital ELEC display, Pokeys Landing & Cruise alt display, Buttkicker Gamers, 3 x BenqMW811ST projectors with a Matrox Th2Go

Quote Originally Posted by Westozy View Post
    Hi Lee, I may aswel spell it out here,

My PC isn't that quick, in fact it's a bit tired at 3 years old. It is a 2.8Ghz P4, 1Ghz ram and I really need a new faster one. I bought a Matrox Parhelia 128mg Triple head video card on Ebay and I use it in "stretched" mode with 3 monitors. The resolution becomes 3072 x 768. Monitor 1 is the feed to the projector and I also have a 19" monitor to the side of my sim on a splitter displaying the same outside view, this is where I can see the pop up FMC & Radio panels etc. Monitor 2 is for the Captain's Attitude & Navigation display and this also has a splitter feeding the FO's monitor showing the same image. Monitor 3 is for the centre EICAS display. When FS starts in stretched mode, you have to grab the R/H side of the FS window and drag it left until FS is only displayed on monitor 1. (Monitors 2 & 3 go black) As you are probably aware, the displays in PMDG are "Open GL" and they pop out and become bigger. (By the way, you have to run FS in 'Window" mode, not full screen mode). Pop out the displays and drag them to the appropriate positions on monitors 2 & 3. Resize the windows until they fill the square cut-outs on the MIP. When all of the windows are sized and in the right place, save the flight. This flight has to be loaded before going anywhere else so the windows are correct on every boot up. I call my flight "737 Set Up", that's it!
    My frame rates aren't the best around busy scenery (10-12), and about 20 FPS in general flight. What my new plan is to buy a faster video card with a Matrox Triplehead2go and set it all up again in the same method, this should improve frame rates. The CP Flight MCP and EFIS units plug in USB and operate PMDG brilliantly after a little keystroke programming.

Hope this helps!

Gwyn
    Dude yer my new hero!! Thats just bloody brilliant! I thought maybe you was running project magenta? For a graphics card I'd get a Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS or higher series graphics card. I've had alot of good luck using these cards but thats just personal preference. Obviously you made your own panels and stuff, what interface cards are you using? I'd like to start getting a list together so I know what to get and where to get it.

MyCockpit Support Staff

Hi Lee,

I have got FDT Sim-Boards, 1 x Master module & 1 x 64x8x8 input module.
    Support for these cards continues to be outstanding as you have probably seen in the FDT forum. Soon I will buy an output module and add that for indicator lights etc.

My Sim-Boards currently have 5 pots connected - roll, pitch, yaw, Eng 1, Eng 2. (Throttles) 8 x push button Rotary Encoders type = "Digi-Key 1/4wave" all controlling NAV, COMM and ADF tuners and currently about 35 switches used for various functions.
    You will need the Matrox Triplehead2go to get 3 monitors working. See- http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/ca...h2go/th2go.php
    and check if it is compatible with your proposed video card, I think the TH2go has issues with certain cards.
    This is probably the cheapest way to get a two seater flying with a stunning appearance and good reliability.
    I suggest you read ALL of the FDT website including the "Show me how" help tutorials to help you decide.

Gwyn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast