Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level learjet's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Mycockpit.org which one is beter 8/8/8 or 64/8/8 can u mix it

hi, can anyone advice me of which i/o board its best when building a flight simulator. can either one be combined or use together..???

what would be my options with phidgets 8/8/8 or flight deck tech. 64/8/8 ,can i connect thru reversers to either board?

any help and info/advice will be helpfull...

current learjet-45 builder
    Last edited by learjet; 04-09-2007 at 11:15 PM. Reason: needed info

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Bob Reed's Avatar

What kind of boards are you looking to get? Would help to answer your questions.
    Bob Reed

MyCockpit Support Staff

FDT Sim-Boards are built specifically for flight simulators and are very easy to use.
    www.flightdecktechnology.com

Gwyn

737NG using Prosim737, Immersive Calibration Pro, Aerosim Solutions motorized TQ & cockpit hardware, CP Flight MCP & FDS SYS1X, SYS2X & SYS4X, FDS PRO FMCs, AFDS units & Glarewings, Matrix Orbital ELEC display, Pokeys Landing & Cruise alt display, Buttkicker Gamers, 3 x BenqMW811ST projectors with a Matrox Th2Go
    http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au
    Supporter of MyCockpit.org, please join me in donating!!!

300+ Forum Addict

Airbus

Sorry Gwyn, but I cannot quite agree. Please read my previous posts and you will see that if you are building a full-sized and complete simulator, then there are a lot of functions that do not as yet do what they are advertised to do. So it will depend on what stage of realism you require your simulator to achieve, so please be aware that these boards are still not fully developed.
    Regards...............Brian W.

MyCockpit Support Staff

Brian, I can only report my own experience which is now 6 months of absolute faultless performance of my Sim-Boards and my experience with dealing with the guys from FDT has been very rewarding. I have focused on keeping my build as simple as possible and it is, the simplicity has paid off. I think the level of operability you are trying to achieve is probably beyond the abilities of any current interface manufacturer. Our forum is filled with builders discussing problems with PM Systems/Project Magenta etc. and that is why I have avoided the expense and hassles of such software. The combo of Sim-Boards, PMDG and CPFlight hardware has provided a very reliable and useable 737 sim for me which is ready to fly in less than 2 minutes from boot-up on a single PC. My total expenditure is still under AUD$6,000.
    Please take no offence as I know your simulator and workmanship is excellent and I fully respect your achievements.

Regards Gwyn

737NG using Prosim737, Immersive Calibration Pro, Aerosim Solutions motorized TQ & cockpit hardware, CP Flight MCP & FDS SYS1X, SYS2X & SYS4X, FDS PRO FMCs, AFDS units & Glarewings, Matrix Orbital ELEC display, Pokeys Landing & Cruise alt display, Buttkicker Gamers, 3 x BenqMW811ST projectors with a Matrox Th2Go
    http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au
    Supporter of MyCockpit.org, please join me in donating!!!

300+ Forum Addict

Airbus

Gwyn, that is fine, as I was only advising on the experience that I have had using these boards, and in fact the whole set of them.
    I was just suggesting to a prospective buyer of the product that he be aware of the problems, and if he is building a simulator in the same veign that you have, and he does not require all the functions that are advertised on the product, and also in the future does not have need for these requirements, then he has the knowledge to make a qualified descision, with as much information as possible.
    Regards...............Brian W.

Interfacing

I have some experience with the Phidgets. I have a LED64 and three 16/16/0 and one 8/8/8.

The last one is connected to a separate PC and on this one I use FS2Phidgets software to interface to MS-FS. FS2Phidgets is very straightforward to use and we have a support forum here at mycockpit. Presently I'm still testing (not operational) four analogue slider potmeters for Flaps, Speedbrake, Throttle 1 and 2. So far all looks good.

The other boards I use for the overhead panel and are connected to PM Systems on a separate PC with a touchscreen. Again the setup is very simple as PM Systems has native Phidgets support. And PM Systems has a mode in which you can see what variable to use and wht value to use. Simply assign the proper variable to the Phidget Input or LED number and you are set.

I am a big fan of the PM software suite even with the price levels, which I must admit can be steep for some wallets. And the same goes for the Phidgets boards. The USA price is ok, but the European price is too high if you compare it (probably due to Rate of Exchange). You can do pretty much with Phidgets and FS2Phidgets

My personal opinion is that the Phidgets are simple to use and interface. For any product you will find people who like or dislike it. The choice really is about how deep you want to go into "programming" the interface and functions. For me that is to "simply" install the boards plug and play, hook up the power and the switches, enter the Variable names, and Fly the bird.

My most favourite combination is the PM Systems in conjunction with the CP Flight MIP board (MCP required as well). This combination does not need any programming or variable name entry. They are developed to use together, and I can just hook up the switches and LEDs and it works.

I have no experience with FDT nor with Opencockpits. They are cheaper which does not automatically mean they are of less quality. I guess the interfacing software is different and needs to get more known. FDT has a supportforum here and Opencockpits has its own elsewhere. FDT is a new player on the market and seem to be a serious player with good intent. As with most newcomers the high expectations of (potential) customers will not always be met, as product & software development/distribution cost time, and so does support. It's hard to find the balance between these two categories (even for big companies as I can tell you from experience). So it really depends how advanced you want the functions to work and at what stage or time in future you will need them.

Hope this helps in making your choice.
    Kester Meijer
    http://www.mycockpit.nl - to see my cockpit construction
    Certified De-Ice Supervisor EHAM

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Bob Reed's Avatar

I agree with Kester on this. It depends how deep you want to go. When I first looked at FS2Phidgets there was not enough there for me to program what I wanted to. I know that was some time ago and a lot has been added since I last looked. The other problem with Phidgets is there is no support for 7seg displays. If you plan on getting hardware such as Go-Flight, CP Flight, FDS hardware where the 7 segment displays are already in their then this will not matter. There are a number of interfaces out there that are getting better and better. It is going to be a personal thing. I have still found nothing better then EPIC. And trust me guys I have looked at everything you have sent my way! It does all I ask and I have come no where near reaching it's end. Just my 2 cents...
    Bob Reed

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

Since I'm approaching that point myself, I have to ask, as an analog cockpit builder will the FDT boards allow me to wire my annunciators, indicators and so forth without using PM?

I need to have the approach progress indicators light at the correct time, the landing gear indicators (though I may use a completely separate circuit for this), AP dis-engage indicator, low oil pressure lamps for all three engines, wind shear alert and warning, flap load relief, fire handles, comparitor panel indicators, DH indicator, reverser indicators, reverser not locked indicators, leading edge and trailing edge flap in transit and extended indicators, and the altitude alert indicator/annunciator.

Can I get all of this to work with FDT?
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!