10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Rear projection screens -- pros and cons

Hi guys

1) Has experimented with Rear projection screens ?

I have found an interesting idea (http://www.3dflightsim.com/screen.htm) but don't really want to lash out on projectors until I chat pros and cons

Their is also a considerable cost associated with the upkeep of projectors (bout $400AUD for a replacement bulb, ouchies).

2) How important will lighting be.

I know that the degree to which its an issue will depend on the contrast / Lumens (im really simplifying the situation).

3) Has anyone managed to do outside visuals with LCD's / CRT's and simple mirrors ?

(eg Fresnel mirrors / bath mirrors, as opposed to a Collimated style setup)

Any help would be much appreciated

MyCockpit Support Staff

Hi PaRa,

I have just completed what you are contemplating!

I have bought an Epson EMP-600TW high definition projector and have set it up for rear projection with a very satisfactory result. I use the other end of the room as a home theatre, the image can be reversed from the remote. My room is 5.4m long by 4m wide.

See the frame detail in my gallery at ---- http://www.mycockpit.org/photopost/s...cat=547&page=4

Projector - http://www.epson.com.au/products/projector/emptw600.asp

I made the 16:9 screen frame from 40mm class 18 PVC pipe and 4 elbows which has turned out to be quite rigid. It is 2m x 1.2m. The screen is made from a 230 thread count white cotton sheet. It attaches to the pipe with sticky back velcro on the pipe and plain velcro stitched to the sheet, it easily pulls tight like a trampoline and can be removed for washing if needed. The sticky back velcro pieces on the frame are the 'hook' parts, the 'loop' parts are on the sheet.The total cost was under AUD$100. Using the sim is great, the quality loss is acceptable as a computer image stretched to 2m degrades anyway, I think the quality loss actually smooths it out the image a bit. Looking through the windshield I only see about a 300mm high strip of the image and that made the PC hard to navigate so I added a 19" monitor off to the side via a splitter amplifier which has turned out to be a good move. (ATC text is always on the side monitor but out of view on the projected image).

When in use as home theatre it is still pretty good but I am thinking of adding a pull down screen fixed to the top of the frame to improve movie quality. The Epson projector is fantastic, I am very pleased with this choice and I got it new for AUD$2,300 with a spare bulb. It is roof mounted 3.5 metres from the screen and easily fills the 2m width.

I hope this info helps with your decision!

Regards Gwyn

737NG using Prosim737, Immersive Calibration Pro, Aerosim Solutions motorized TQ & cockpit hardware, CP Flight MCP & FDS SYS1X, SYS2X & SYS4X, FDS PRO FMCs, AFDS units & Glarewings, Matrix Orbital ELEC display, Pokeys Landing & Cruise alt display, Buttkicker Gamers, 3 x BenqMW811ST projectors with a Matrox Th2Go
    http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au
    Supporter of MyCockpit.org, please join me in donating!!!

10+ Posting Member

hi mate !

thanks very much for your input here .... ive just been through your site and I must say the results speak for themselves !!! Well done it looks like a great success. Having the ability to clean would also be very nice.

Ill definitely look into it further now that I can see a validation.

Thankyou very much for posting I appreciate it.