imported_MattO

FS2Phidget Memory Leak???

There's been some discussion regarding that FS2Phidget may have a memory leak. On my system I know after some time, particulary when FS2Phidget has been minimized, it hangs.

Here is a quote from my post at Peter Dowson's Forum.

Hope this helps.

Matt O.

----------------------------------------
    ----------------------------------------
    MattOlieman wrote:

On top of the MSFS window, after running several hours, all of the sudden the "WideServer" connection count just keeps going up, one every few seconds. I only have 5 computers connected. I think the below count went up to 43.
    --------------------------------------------------

This is explained clearly in the WideFS documentation. The clients time-out a lack of messages from the Server before the Server times out messages from clients. When the client times out, it reconnects. The server allows a lot more time before it discards connections. Hence the increase.

Something is going badly wrong with the connection to one or more of the clients. The logs will show lots of reconnections. This will cause bad jerky behaviour in the client applications.

From the Server log you have provided it looks like you have a general problem across all 4 of your clients, but this didn't start till well into the session: 23071313 milliseconds to be precise (6 hours and 25 minutes). What happened then? Maybe something you are running on the Server has a memory leak? I think some types of scenery files (AGNs? The AutoGen files) if placed in the Addon Scenery folder can do that. There may be other causes too.

Other possibilities are overheating somewhere -- network card/switch? Or other problems at that time in FS? You'd need to observe what was going on at the time for clues.

WideServer itself doesn't use much memory. The summary at the end shows the count of buffers it actually allocated and freed:

Quote:
    Memory managed: Offset records: 1337 alloc, 1337 free
    Internal LAN buffers, maximum used: 1, refused: 0

Regards,

Pete

25+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Quote Originally Posted by MattO
    There's been some discussion regarding that FS2Phidget may have a memory leak. On my system I know after some time, particulary when FS2Phidget has been minimized, it hangs.
    Matt,

This is a definite fact (unfortunately).
    Since 3 days I have been wrestling to configure everything on my overhead panel, and as I need to open and close the prg quite often, I'd say it happens at every second startup, and almost always, when it is either minimized or trying to restore it from there. :confused:

regards
    Andras

imported_MattO
    REGARDING the WideServer Connection Count with MSFS: DISREGARD, it's not relevant.

Matt O.