Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Question Analogue output?

Can a Phidget be used for an analogue output to an electronic actuator? I couldn't see a unit designated for output.

phidgets

Analog

Hi,

We used to have a power Phidget ages ago, but it was discontinued. When the motor controller comes out it could be possible to change the PWM into a steady analog signal from what I understand, but it's a bit over my head.

In the future there may be another version of a Phidget which would put out an analog signal, but as of right now there isn't anything on the drawing board. It's a tough nut to crack since everyone wants something vrey different.

Matt

10+ Posting Member

Hi Matt
    When will the motor controller be introduced????

phidgets

Motor Controller

Hi !

Our Phidget Motor controller has been delayed due to lots of design issues. It may be a long time before we bring it out.

But I have another solution that I really like which I am working on providing for everyone. Personaly I think it is an even better solution than us building one in house. I've found a great product line of motor controllers used in the robotics market that accepts standard hobby PWM signals and boosts them up to DC motor level strength. I'm talking to the company now about carrying the line so that I can offer them.

Here is how it will work:

Users would connect the output of our servo controller to the input of the motor controller of their choice and using the standard code to control the servo controller by effect control the speed of the motor controller. For FS2Phidget users we would add this code into the program with associated settings control so that you guys can just plug and play like everything else.

Here is the line of motor controllers I'm talking about:

http://www.ifirobotics.com/products.htm

The Victor and Thor controllers.

I have to buy some and test it out, but I'm very confident it would work great. I have to show this solution to Alan still and if he likes it he would need to add the code in a future release.

Even if I can't carry these Alan could still add the code and people could buy the parts outside of Phidgets USA.

Matt

10+ Posting Member

Exclamation

Hi Matt
    The problem is the number of steps that the Phidget Servo offers.

The loss of the the phidget motor is a big deal. :confused:

We need a analog output phidget with the same resolution as the analog input of the 8/8/8.

phidgets

Steps

Hi,

Chester informed me that the servo controller can accept decimal point resolution for degrees, therefor we aren't as restrained as one would think. When I experimented the first time with this set up on an RC car motor controller I found that a range of 10 degrees moved the motor from the slowest to the fastest movement. Now if the resolution works for .1 degree then we have 100 steps to work with. If it works with 2 decimals we have much much more. I'll have to experiment to discover what we can get out of my proposed set up. I'm hoping for 100 or more.

When it comes to just driving motors this will be more than enough for moving mechanical objects. For those that want to convert to a DC signal to drive displays it's a different story. From what I understand some displays need to sweep 300 degrees or more and so you need 300 steps or more.

Right now I'm not trying to solve that issue so much as get a standard motor controller option made availible for all our markets. This solution, assuming a decent level of resolution, will solve half the Sim market needs for motor controllers.

The problems we have encountered with developing one in house have been troublesome. To build one that works with a wide range of motors just isn't feasible at the cost level we make our products at. So Chester worked on a "smaller" solution which had 2 issues involved. One, it won't drive many of the larger motors people want to drive. (and by larger I'm still talking small!) Two, it's very very easy for someone to burn it out. I know because I did it in a matter of minutes!

Offering a delicate phidget that half the customers would destroy just isn't smart for us to do so we've had to scale back on trying to roll it out. We don't believe in selling people inferior products pretending that a half assed solution is a good solution

I've decided instead to go forward with offering a more robust solution which will allow people to choose from 4 different controllers which are build to take abuse and are all around much more sturdy than what we were building. The motor controllers I'm looking at are made for the combat robot market. They beat the **** out of these things and they keep on ticking. This is one reason I find them so attractive as an option.

This solution won't be cheap, but people simply have to understand that this market ISN'T cheap! This is a cold hard fact of life. Well built motor controllers with USB interfacing capabilities that are built to last cost money. ****, the servos that people need to buy to move sturdy mechanics and build robots are $90 or more a piece!

I'm very enthusiastic about this 3rd party solution of motor controllers and will post my test results as soon as I get my dirty little hands on them. It's better than no solution at all.

I have to wait to hear from the company, then order them. We are talking a couple of weeks or more at best.

Matt

10+ Posting Member

Hi Matt
    If we had an Analog output phidget (0 - 5vdc), with the same resolution as the inputs of the 8/8/8 we COULD drive a Motor Speed Controller made by a third party. No problem with blowing up the Analog output phidget because it could be low current limited.

The analog output Phidget could also drive D'Arsonval meter movments, with a low current output.

10+ Posting Member

Lightbulb

Hi Matt
    What is the status on a Analog Output Phidget?

Were you able to make a motor controller work with phidget servo?

I know I am whiping a dead horse, BUT we need a Analog output phidget (0 - 5vdc), with the same resolution as the inputs of the 8/8/8 Phidget.

alkit747
    Hi David,

For the "motor controller " you mentions, is it purpose for the output movement for the instrument and gauges? I want this available very much too!

regards,
    Alkit