phidgets

POLL: Encoder Questions for you guys

Hi Everyone,

This is Matt here. I have been asking around about encoders and trying to research what the next generation Encoder Phidget could be like for the sim builders. I need your help with insightfull feedback about what all of you would feel would be the best solution.

Here are my thoughts so far:

Currently the Phidget encoder is a single 16 click encoder with a push button. The Phidget Encoder only works with the encoder already soldered onto the board. This presents a problem for sim builders for 3 reasons. 1) you are limited to the size of the encoder. 2) you are limited to the 16 clicks. 3) you often need dual or concentric encoders to complete your panels.

Here's what I have in mind. We would create a Phidget Encoder board without the encoder already on it. We would design the board to work with a specific family of encoders that sim builders could choose from. In a perfect scenario this "family" of Encoders would be of a relativly reasonable cost and would have many different formats to choose from. Different sizes, different clicks per revolution, and different configurations; single, dual, triple, etc.

Now, I doubt we will find a solution that could fit every possible scenario, but I'd like to at least find a set of Encoders that meet as many of these needs as possible.

The idea of the Phidget Encoder Board works well with dual encoders since it allows people to simply buy 2 boards and wire them up to dual encoder if this is what they need.

A solution of this nature allows us to design and produce a single Phidget that meets a range of needs. We cannot design a dozen encoders for the market because the cost is too high and we don't know what will sell.

We need your help in figuring out this solution so that we can research possibly solving it!

The main questions are as follows:

Do you know of a family of encoders which you feel would meet the needs of 90% of the cockpits out there? If so, give us the link. (Or go research it and report back You guys know better than we do what you need!)

What encoder solutions do you most need for yourself? Links to the actual encoder spec sheets or web page where we can research them are best.

The more everyone can help show us which encoders best work for this market the more capable we are for creating a solution.

Please note that I will watch this thread closely and research all the suggested info, but probably won't be responding to all the posts submitted. Feel free to keep discussing this among each other in this thread.

Thanks for your time and your feedback!

Matt

imported_737nut
    Hi Matt,
    Here is a link to good working little set-up, unfortunately i don't have any specs so i'll see what i can dig up. The dual concentric rotary is halfway down the page in the center. 29.95 but that does not include the controller/usb interface.
    Rob
    http://www.goflightinc.com/Components.shtml

10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

I have no electronics background but I'd say:

A Rotary Encoder Module that allows for up to 16 single and / or dual rotary encoders with or without integrated push buttons. Allow both CW or CCW rotations. Allow for modularity via diasy chaining another rotary module if one needs more rotories instead of taking another usb port.

10+ Posting Member

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level

Hello Matt,

http://alkit.fotopic.net/c338611.html

I was trying to convert my panel with the Philget 8/8/8 I have. Unfortnately, it seems not possible to do so.

Enclose the picture I took when I open up my comm box. These kind of comm panels is widely used by 737s, the 744 use the same type with 6 buttons instead of 3. (see pictures below)

http://alkit.fotopic.net/p11715658.html

The dual encoder for the frequency tuning is made by Grayhill. I see there are right wires connect to it. No idea how it works and hook up. I also take some more close up inner lever pictures and will post it up soon.

I hope this can help. And I hope Phildget will help me back one day

Best regards,
    Alkit

Re: POLL: Encoder Questions for you guys

Just to let you now which encoders best work for my Sim 737NG and very very cheap... www.mouser.com page 1297 Bourns encoder #652-ECW1J-B24-BC0024 $3.82 EACH here the link for tech. info
    http://www.bourns.com/pdfs/ECW1J.pdf. and whit a push botton on off is
    531-CI11CTV1Y21 Tech info http://www.piher-nacesa.com/pdf/04-CI-11v04.pdf.ok I'm not sure if it gonna work my work is not finish so if we can have a board for the 7 segment led and encoder that will be great. thank Andre V

75+ Posting Member

Hello Mark -

I was wondering if you've progressed with the idea of a phiggets encoder input board - I think that this combined with a segment display driver board would round off your cockpit building suite nicely - as of now, the option could be to use the phidgets hi speed encoder board, but that only takes one input. Typically, the pedestal itself needs 8 (747) and more for the 73 -

Farrokh.

75+ Posting Member

Sorry!~ I meant Matt!
    late night here =
    FC