Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Nav Lt

737 NG flap indicator

Good day,

I'm building a home cockpit and I'm wondering how difficult it would be to program and make a indicator. It needs to have a 270 degree rotation and interface with FS9.

Here is a picture of what I'm trying to make. I already have the face plate, I just need the mechanism to move the needle when the flight simulator program says that it is changing position.

I know VERY little about programming let alone what version I would need to write it in. Does your componets require good programming skills? If so, how hard would it be to learn and where would you sugest that I start?

I'm curious as to what you have to say. Thank you for your time.

James

phidgets

RE: 737 NG flap indicator

Quote Originally Posted by Nav Lt
    Good day,

I'm building a home cockpit and I'm wondering how difficult it would be to program and make a indicator. It needs to have a 270 degree rotation and interface with FS9.

Here is a picture of what I'm trying to make. I already have the face plate, I just need the mechanism to move the needle when the flight simulator program says that it is changing position.

I know VERY little about programming let alone what version I would need to write it in. Does your componets require good programming skills? If so, how hard would it be to learn and where would you sugest that I start?

I'm curious as to what you have to say. Thank you for your time.

James
    Hi James!

It sounds to me like you would need only a single servo controller with a servo to make what you need. For the 270 degrees of rotation you would need to perform a small hack on the servo. You open up the servo and cut out the stop tab so that the servo can turn for your full range. Here are some links:

Parallax offers a pre-hacked servo
    http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=900-00008
    So does http://www.robodyssey.com
    http://mivasecure.abac.com/bpatton/m...egory_Code=SAM
    Here are some tutorials
    http://www.acroname.com/robotics/inf...ontinuous.html
    http://members.cox.net/rbirac2/Ebot/servo_hack.htm

Now for your coding questions. Basically, our servo controller is the easiest to program on the market. But, to someone who has never coded before that might not mean much. It would be a big project to buy VB6 and learn it just to create your indicator. Not to mention the cost. Do you need to be a really good programmer? No. It's very easy.

We are working with a software guy who is writing a plug and play solution for users just like yourself. With his program you will just open a program and set what you want your servo to do from which data being sent out of MSFS. This is the route I'd suggest to you. Sign up on our newsletter and we will let people know when this software comes out. We are very excited about it since it will really open up peoples abilities to use Phidgets in there Sims.

I hope this helps you out!

Matt

Nav Lt
    Matt,

This sounds great and makes it seem like my cockpit will take on a whole new dimension. Thank you for the reply and look forward to the software release. The next project that I have after the flaps is going to be the overhead. That will require about a hundred digital inputs and about 60 digital outputs. Hope to hear soon of the software release.

Regards,
    James

phidgets

Digital Inputs

The next project that I have after the flaps is going to be the overhead. That will require about a hundred digital inputs and about 60 digital outputs.
    Actually, there is a neat trick you can use to create more inputs. For example, let's say you have two 888 boards. You make a wiring grid like an X Y axis with one board for each axis and whalla, instead of 16 digital inputs you now have 64!

Of course, if you want to buy 8 boards instead I'm fine with that solution too

Matt

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

James,

Where did you find your flap mechanisms? I saw your web page somewhere (HSB I think), and it appears that you have the gears and everything in place. Very neat!
    Robert
    http://SimWerx.com
    http://777Simulator.com

Nav Lt

Smile

Hi Robert,

I wish that I could say that indicator is mine. Actually, it is a sample picture that I used from another site. It is my current project that I'm trying to build for addition to my cockpit. And since I'm not smart on computer code to FS9, I'm hoping to build this indicator using phidgets servos and break out boards.

I went to your site, and I must say that I'm envious of your project. Nice work! I hope to have my 737 NG look as good as your 777 someday.

Regards,
    James

Nav Lt
    Matt,

I was wondering if there has been any progress in making your products plug in play for the home cockpit yet? Sorry if I have missed the announcement if it has already been advertised. Been a busy time. Code is still something that is pure magic to me.

James

Nav Lt

Servo in kit swing full 270 + ?????

Okay I see that the software is available, now I'm ready to bite and purchase the things I need to make this indicator as shown above.

I have one quick question though, the servo in your 1-Motor Phidget USB Servo Controller Kit, is it already hacked to be able to give me the 270 degree swing that I need? Or do I still need to purchase another servo separately as you mentioned earlier?

Thanks for your time, and standing by to spend $$$$ when I here from you.

James

phidgets

270 swing

I have one quick question though, the servo in your 1-Motor Phidget USB Servo Controller Kit, is it already hacked to be able to give me the 270 degree swing that I need? Or do I still need to purchase another servo separately as you mentioned earlier?
    Hi James,

Sorry I missed your previous post from the 3rd. I don't know why I didn't get an email when you posted it.

Our servos aren't hacked. They are standard Hitech 322. You would proably want to purchase a prehacked one from one of the links above.

Now about the software. We haven't played with hacked servos yet so it hasn't been tested. I'll talk to Alan and see what he says about whether or not it can do it or if he needs to add that functionality.

Thanks for your time, and standing by to spend $$$$ when I here from you.
    Great way to get my attention But hold tight for now until I get the 270 degree software answer for you. Alan might tell me that we just have to test it out to know. If you live in the states and want to give it a try after Alan says the software is ready I'll sell you one with a promise to refund the controller if it doesn't work. Obviously, I can't refund the hacked servo since I won't be selling you that. All you would need from me is the 1-servo controller.

I think having a solution for this kind of need would be a great thing to offer so let's see if we can pull it off

Matt

Nav Lt
    Matt,

I will hold tight! Just to let you know, I have been talking up my desire on building this indicator on a few other forums, and have a couple of people who are very interested in how it comes out. So, I think that the popularity could be there if this works. Oh and yes I do reside in the US, Good ole Seattle Wa. to be exact!

Waiting to hear good news,
    James

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast