10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Homecockpit: How to manipulate "custom addon aircraft functions" | Alabeo DA40 Attitude Indicator Bar

Hello,

I am working on a home cockpit aimed at functionally representing a DA40 cockpit. I will use the Alabeo DA40.

The home cockpit is based on a number of Arduinos communicating with fsx/p3d through lua-scripts. Most cockpit functions are accessible through fsuipc commands or the direct manipulation of offsets.

This method however doesn't work for a number of fuctions of the Alabeo DA40 including the attitude indicator (artificial horizon) bar. The AI bar of the most fsx/p3d aircraft can be manipulated with the fsuipc commands 66318/66319. The relative bar position is then stored in offset 0x3548. The alabeo DA40 AI bar however seems to bypass all of this and the fsuipc logging shows nothing when the bar is moved using the mouse, nor does the said offset change.

I am thankful for every hint how to address such apparently addon aircraft-specific functions. (The VM1000 engine monitoring system is another example.)

Kind regards,
    Frank

25+ Posting Member

Re: Homecockpit: How to manipulate "custom addon aircraft functions" | Alabeo DA40 Attitude Indicator Bar

Some addons use their own custom variables, called Lvars
    They are only for each plane.
    You can access them with luascripts through ipc.readLvar() and ipc.writeLvar() functions.
    But you need to know the names of the variables.
    I use Linda software because is quite easy to get the full Lvars list for an airplane, and you can test the Lvars writing in them, reading.. etc. Some of them are only reading, others can be writing.

About vm1000, I made an vm1000c gauge for RealAir Lancair and A2A comanche with air manager that you can see, download, and use your own custom Lvars of your plane to make it work.
    You can see this thread https://siminnovations.com/forums/vi...&hilit=vm1000c

I made a hardware bezel to him. all the buttons work as real one. Same features.

Arturo.
    Attached Images Attached Images

10+ Posting Member

Re: Homecockpit: How to manipulate "custom addon aircraft functions" | Alabeo DA40 Attitude Indicator Bar

Hello Arturo,

many thanks for your reply! The LVar-Comment was exactly the hint I needed.

I installed Linda and had a rather frustrating evening since. Somehow I was not able to log any LVar-commands. It worked with regular fsuipc controls, but none of the LVar controls left any traces in the Linda Console. Using the Linda Tracer, I was even able to manipulate some LVars using the "toggle"-butten and guessed values but that's not really practical for non-digital values.

Any idea why I don't get a log when pushing the buttons in the cockpit? I've had a look at the Manual, but couldn't find anything... (I was watching the LVars by pressing "Start all", of course.)

Kind regards,
    Frank

25+ Posting Member

Hi Frank,

I use Linda to log the custom lvars. I don't start all of them. I see the list (ctr+f1), and look for the names of lvars than could be related with the variable. Then start some of them, and see if they automatically change in the log window when moving the gauge, knob, switch, etc..

The toggle button is very useful. You can change the "0" and "1" with the value you want! You have to take care.. some Lvars are only read, other can be read and written.

I use it for A2A comanche, which has LOTS of custom lvars, and I finally found everything I looked for. I am sure you will find them.
    If I had the plane, I would help you to find them.

Some time ago, I used to put the values of the Lvars in the custom offsets, so I can read them in link2fs in expert window.
    Now, I made everything in the lua script, because I comuincate with arduino with the script, sending and receiving the data. So I can use the Lvars the same way I use the standard offsets, reading and writting them in the script.

Arturo.

10+ Posting Member

Hi Arturo,

I've found the answer to my Linda-problem: FSUIPC logging has to be turned off in order to be able to log Lvars with Linda. - Just in case anyone else has the same issue... With this problem out of the way, it was simple to add some code to to my lua script, to manipulate the attitude indicator bar as well as the essential bus switch, both using Lvars. - Replacing link2fs with lua scripts starts to pay off now, as I am still using the regular fsuipc commands for the attitude indicator bar for other airplanes.

I forgot to mention that your VM1000c is absolutely amazing!!! Respect!

Thanks for your help,
    Frank

Kind regards,
    Frank