Good job!Very interesting project����
    thanks Lenne.

150+ Forum Groupie

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: Embraer Phenom 300 build

Your woodworking is fantastic - I've not seen better. What you have so far looks like something a Hollywood SFX department full of skilled carpenters would make.

A question - are you intending to go with the Carenado Phenom 300? If so, what are you planning to do about the G1000? Will you be making your own bezels with buttons and knobs? Or buying someone else's? Or using a touch-screen instead? Carenado aircraft (I'm using the TBM 850) are not cockpit-builder friendly in my experience, they're entirely designed with the point-and-click brigade in mind, and in particular their pop-up G1000 panels have bezels that can't be removed, short of unpacking and then hand-editing the gauge files. Once you've done that, you're stuck with the fact that not all of the standard commands work on it - most of the autopilot and radio commands do, but there are inconsistencies - and then there's the soft keys. These only respond to a mouse click - there's no LVAR or command or event you can trigger that will make the button actually work (you can use an LVAR to get it to press, and the UI will show the button press, but the G1000 itself doesn't respond, since all of that logic, AFAICS, is in a C++ DLL which only looks for the mouse click).

In the end, the only solution I could come up with was to edit the mouse areas and put them over the soft key labels on the G1000 screen, then use Key2Mouse to generate clicks. That didn't work reliably so, in the end I gave up and am using the Flight1Tech G1000 simulator software instead - but that doesn't have the proper displays for the TBM850. I hacked out a custom gauge of the engine status display from the Carenado G1000 and I display that on another monitor, which helps a bit.

Now that FSUIPC support mouse macros in P3D 4.2/3 again, I may try again to see if I can get it to work, but if you have any ideas about how to get it working, I'd be really interested to hear them.

I guess trying to do anything other than a 737 or A320 or something similar is always going to be harder, since the solutions just aren't out there on the shelf, you have to make them up yourself!

NH

10+ Posting Member

Hey Neil,

Thank you for the kind words Comments like that really help keep the motivation up

With regards to your question. I'm using the Mindstar G1000. I had to go for 3rd party options because of issues just like the ones your facing. The Carendo panel isnt flexible enough to be used in a sim pit. Since there aren't any aircraft specific solutions available I knew I'd have to compromise somewhere and that ended up being in the aircraft specific pages of the Mindstar G1000. They have a citation specific preset that works for twin engine aircraft and covers more or less all the info you need aside from a few minor things (Eg the Phenom MFD has a gear indicator which is absent in the Mindstar MFD). The big downside is that Mindstar isn't 64 bit yet (Their support forum says that they're working on it though). I haven't used the Flight1 tech software but I'm assuming it allows you to map all the buttons at least so that part is covered. Mindstar lets you map all buttons and knobs on the PFD, MFD, RFD, Autopilot panel and the Audio panel.

I will be making the bezels, knobs and electronics myself. I haven't finished those designs yet though but once I do finish them i'll post them here. The designs, schematics and circuit layouts. Right now the plan is to paint the MIP, glareshield and pedestal, then finish work on the parking brake and autopilot. I'm focusing on these so that I can at least start flying in the sim. After that I'll get the Lower MIP panels working and then I'll start on the G1000.

I'm sorry I don't have a solution for you. When I was figuring this part out it just felt like making phenom specific screens for a 3rd party software that provides no customization options or easy access to the files within the software (It doesn't make sense for them to do that either ) required too much work and tbh I wasn't 100% sure that I would be able to make it work in the end. That's why I just compromised on using the citation pages from the Mindstar G1000, Maybe someone on this forum has experience creating custom pages for the Flight1 or Mindstar G1000 and can help us out. I'd be really interested in finding out how to do that too

You're right about there not being any off the shelf solutions. That would make life really easy If you need any help at all with your build do let me know, I'll help out as much as I can Are you posting updates anywhere?

Regards,
    Ali

150+ Forum Groupie

Yes, I looked at the Mindstar product before I bought the Flight1Tech system. The big difference is that the Fligh1Tech product runs outside the sim and plugs in with a module, whereas the Mindstar G1000 runs inside the simulator (as I understand it). You can run the Flight1Tech software on a separate computer, which is good because it can definitely hammer the CPU. OTOH, as with the Mindstar, you have limited presets available. You can re-define all the v-speeds etc, so it's a question of picking the aircraft nearest to the one you want to fly and using that with customised speeds. It works OK but as I mentioned, for the TBM 850 for example there are gauges that you really need that Flight1Tech doesn't have (like ITT and torque). So I hacked out a piece of the MFD from the Carenado gauge and I have that on a separate monitor.

These are the problems you have when you choose to build a sim based on anything other than the 737 or the A320. Of course, I'm making life harder for myself by having a generic sim-pit, so I'm looking to have multiple aircraft working as seamlessly as I can. Compromise is the order of the day!

My project is largely complete, for now. It was always a half-way house between a desktop sim and what I want to have in the end - a fully enclosed shell etc. I haven't attempted to go near your level of fabrication - I'm handy with power tools and a soldering iron, but I'm far from a master. Eventually I will put up a building in my garden to house the full sim that I will build. In the meantime, I'm flying in my back bedroom.

Updates are at http://backbedroompilot.com but are pretty sporadic at the moment. There's some content on my YouTube channel as well (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7l...jM0putRNscAAOQ).

10+ Posting Member

Hi everyone,Just realized its been almost a year since I last posted an update. Tbh I haven't worked on the sim for the same amount of time. Just started getting back into it and was figuring out where I had left off and what I was going to do. Thought I'd start by reviewing the building thread and updating the latest pictures. I didn't do anything major other than paint the MIP and Throttle Quad pedestal. Other than that I test fitted the 12" monitors and connected everything up. Will be reviewing my Autopilot circuits and the Motherboard as well. In case any one is using my designs do check with me first. I'll update the post as soon as Im done with the changes.Regards,Ali
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Ali,I am very impressed with your work. Much more professional looking than mine! I shall look forward to any updates as you progress.Best regards Keith (Stinger2k2)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12