150+ Forum Groupie
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Looking for display ideas

I am running a home cockpit using four HD screens. In P3D prior to Version 4 I could get 30 fps with reasonable settings and smooth flying.
    Having gone to version 4 I am finding frame rate is now below 20 fps and in scenery below that so is not enjoyable flying. I am temporarily using two screens and getting over 70 fps with higher settings.
    My PC is five years old and I would build a new one if I could get higher speeds but I am running at 4.40 with overclocking and looking at processors available they don't seem to have got much faster. There is very little running on the main PC other than FS. I do run Jeehell server on that and I know it is now possible to run that on the network but not sure how much that will do. I plan to try it.
    Can anyone give me ideas on which way to go?
    You can see my setup here www.a320sim.com
    Barry

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim

Re: Looking for display ideas

I would dedicate your main PC to P3D alone - the FMGS Server program might affect performance if run concurrently.

I am running everything on one 7700k processor overclocked to 4k - its a tad slow at busy airports (I think I am loosing around 10-20 frames), but will do for now. I plan to setup another computer further down the line which will run the FMGS avionics software independently.

Its not only about clock speed, but how the IPC is performing -- for example I had a Sandy Bridge 2500k which could overclock to 4.4 ghz, but my 7700k only clocked to 4 ghz has much much more computing power.
    Soarbywire - Airbus Flight Simulation and Engineering | Jeehell FMGS - Free professional A320 avionics software for the cockpit enthusiast.

500+ This must be a daytime job

Barry,
    Have a look on Cockpitbuilders.com, there has been plenty of discussion on PC power. Lots of good advice.
    Regards
    Les

150+ Forum Groupie

Thanks for the advice. I have tried moving the FMGS server onto another PC but it is not working for me, clearly I have done something wrong and will keep trying. Although I have edited the IP addresses it is not connecting across the network.
    Barry

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim

Quote Originally Posted by Barrykensett View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I have tried moving the FMGS server onto another PC but it is not working for me, clearly I have done something wrong and will keep trying. Although I have edited the IP addresses it is not connecting across the network.
    Barry
    Have you followed my tutorial Barry?
    Soarbywire - Airbus Flight Simulation and Engineering | Jeehell FMGS - Free professional A320 avionics software for the cockpit enthusiast.

150+ Forum Groupie

Quote Originally Posted by OmniAtlas View Post
    Have you followed my tutorial Barry?
    Yes thanks, it was not the simconnect that was bothering me, I was not getting my Skalarki gear running properly but I have sorted that so all seems to be working. I have some setting up to do before I can comment on frame rates but it looks promising. Family festive events getting in the way of my simulating!
    Barry

150+ Forum Groupie

Well I got the system working and the frame rates on the FS looked to be 5 to 10 FPS higher. Needs extended testing to firm up on that.
    However the PC that I put the server on drives the displays and the FCU and it slowed down to an unacceptable level. I then tried on the PC that runs the hardware and MCDU and again it slowed that down (not a high spec PC) so overall it is clear the server takes up a good bit of processing power.
    I have a laptop wth i7 processor which may drive the server so that is the next planned trial.
    Barry