Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Toolpath for engraving - Which program is best

Hi guys,

I have a CNC router and want to engrave the text on my B737 panels. What is the easiest program to create the toolpaths for engraving the text as a single line? I'm using either MS 33558 or Futura font. Both True-type fonts.

I tried V-Carve Pro and Fusion 360, both created a toolpath along the inside and outside outline of the text.

Re: Toolpath for engraving - Which program is best

You need single line fonts for simple engraving. Use a V-Bit tool and engrave the lines.

Try ArtCAM Free - create the single line vectors and use the Profile toolpath "machine along vector" option. The tool will simply follow the vectors.

cheers
    Paul

Paul. Right, But I don't have MS33558 nor Futura in single line. I'm making panels for a 737 sim, any font wont do.

150+ Forum Groupie

Hi
    Download futura font ttf files from internet, copy files into the \windows\fonts folder which will automatically install them on your pc. Open your software select the futura font and set about 3-5mm height text and write and position your text. Select toolpaths and select a v bit tool, maybe 30 deg v, create a tool if you haven't already. When setting up the the tool set the tool tip width as 0.2mm cutting edge width regardless of the actual width. Select the text to be engraved and set depth to be cut as 0.01mm. Create your toolpath to suit your machine. Put the cursor over the text centre on your drawing and read the x,y co ordinates from the software screen. Position your tool on your cnc at these co ordinates and set the z co ordinate zero so it just touches the surface of your paint. I use a sheet of printer paper and nudge the z down 0.1mm at a time till it traps the paper, then 0.05 lower than that to get z zero.
    Download your gcode and run it. You may need to reset the engraving depth to get the best result. Patience is required because unless your table and material are flat to within 0.05mm you will not get even engraving. Acrylic sheet is normally +-1mm tolerance. Reset the zero or engraving depth for every word and sometimes for individual letters of that word. Slower mc traverse speed is best and a sharp tool. Let your paint harden for a few days before engraving to give crisper finish. I apply matt laquer after engraving otherwise the heat at the engraving tip melts the laquer and screws up the engraving
    Hope this helps
    Regards
    Geoff

300+ Forum Addict

For what it's worth there are some CamBam single line fonts that look pretty good when engraved on the CNC

MyCockpit Support Staff

VCarvePro will work perfectly, you have not set the tool path correctly if you are engraving both sides of the line! Select FuturaMD for Boeing font and do no create an 'engraving' tool path. Select Profile cut "On the line" and it will engrave perfectly. I use VCarvePro for all Aerosim Solutions products! Cheers Gwyn

737NG using Prosim737, Immersive Calibration Pro, Aerosim Solutions motorized TQ & cockpit hardware, CP Flight MCP & FDS SYS1X, SYS2X & SYS4X, FDS PRO FMCs, AFDS units & Glarewings, Matrix Orbital ELEC display, Pokeys Landing & Cruise alt display, Buttkicker Gamers, 3 x BenqMW811ST projectors with a Matrox Th2Go
    http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au
    Supporter of MyCockpit.org, please join me in donating!!!

75+ Posting Member

I also use CamBam stick fonts and they work very well.
    John

Guys,

Thanks so much for your replies and sorry for the late response (my browsers were redirecting me away from this site for a long time).