Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Triggering / powering aircraft components only in "energized state"

Hello, would appreciate any advice from the community or knowledgeable cockpit builder on how to approach this --

The aircraft and its components only become energized when

1. Battery 1 or Battery 2 is turned on
    2. Ext pwr is on
    3. APU is on

There will be certain items on the flight deck which will also only turn on under these conditions, such as the rudder trim, MCDU, ATC/TCAS, etc.

I would assume the most straight forward way to implement a power on state when either condition 1, 2, 3 is satisfied is by using a relay.

However I would need a 'energized' state of the aircraft logic to output to the relay (it only turns on when either condition 1,2 or 3 is satisfied).

Is there an FSUIPC offset which can only output to the relay boards when the aircraft is in an energized state, or is there another method you would recommend to implement these features?

In my current cockpit build for example, the aircraft rudder trim panel is always on the 'on state' (28 VDC supplied). However I only want power to be supplied to the panel when the criteria above is fulfilled.

Thank you.

Ben
    Soarbywire - Airbus Flight Simulation and Engineering | Jeehell FMGS - Free professional A320 avionics software for the cockpit enthusiast.

150+ Forum Groupie

Re: Triggering / powering aircraft components only in "energized state"

Shouldn't a logic board that is powered when the FS computer is on, be able to handle that relay without depending on any other aircraft system? In that case all that is left is reading the proper offsets. Unless I'm missing something...

500+ This must be a daytime job

Hi Ben,
    If i read you correctly, you would like to drive a relay when ANY ONE of the above are on. Then just take the output that lights the LED in the switch to drive a transistor and your relay.
    Les

Quote Originally Posted by spiliot View Post
    Shouldn't a logic board that is powered when the FS computer is on, be able to handle that relay without depending on any other aircraft system? In that case all that is left is reading the proper offsets. Unless I'm missing something...
    Hi spiliot -- the FS computer will always be on. However I only want the systems to power up when battery, ext pwr, or apu is on, as like in the real aircraft.

For example at this time I have 28 VDC supplied to the rudder trim. The LCD remains on even when the aircraft is not on an energized state ("cold and dark"). This is unrealistic.
    Soarbywire - Airbus Flight Simulation and Engineering | Jeehell FMGS - Free professional A320 avionics software for the cockpit enthusiast.

Quote Originally Posted by iwik View Post
    Hi Ben,
    If i read you correctly, you would like to drive a relay when ANY ONE of the above are on. Then just take the output that lights the LED in the switch to drive a transistor and your relay.
    Les
    Hi wik, yes you are correct, I will attempt to use one of the output light assignment to drive the 28 V power relay.

For example, I will use a Battery 1 output to turn on the power supply for the trim.

Is it possible to use "OR" logic for the relay?

For example --

If "Battery 1 output = 1", OR "Battery 2 output = 1", OR "EXT PWR= 1", or "APU =1" THEN "RELAY SWITCH = 1"

Yes, that's the way to go in logic. Can also be done in hardware with a Exclusive Or gate. Take the three outputs and then Output of the gate will only be "1" when ONLY 1 of the inputs is a 1.
    Les
    Last edited by iwik; 09-19-2017 at 05:56 AM. Reason: Or gate should have read Exclusive Or

75+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by iwik View Post
    Yes, that's the way to go in logic. Can also be done in hardware with a Or gate. Take the three outputs and then Output of the gate will only be "1" when ONLY 1 of the inputs is a 1.
    Les
    What about taking an output from each lamp via a diode (each connected to the Anode of a diode) then join the three Cathodes together (as a diode OR) and they would drive a relay coil via a transistor. Don't forget to put a diode across the coil of the relay to prevent back EMF.
    John

I'm not too much of an electronic expertise here so will be looking for the most straight forward implementation -- I don't think I can program software to do the action. Simon our cockpit builder friend has been able to implement these functions using SIOC.

If we were using an adruino relay, (one of these http://arduinobasics.blogspot.com.au...ay-module.html ),

Can I just wire the FDS I/O board LED outputs to one of the adruino relay inputs?

For example the BATTERY 1, Battery 2, Ext Pwr, APU, (perhaps also when ENG1 sw is on, and ENG2) output directly wired together to one relay switch this would satisfy the "OR" criteria?

Thanks

Ben,
    Any relay module can be used. you cannot just connect the outputs of the FDS board to relay module. Each output must be isolated like John said using a Diode between the output of the FDS board and the input of the Relay module. Anode to FDS and cathode to relay module.
    now we must differentiate between an " OR " gate(like a simple diode one) and an " Exclusive OR ".
    A diode " OR " will allow more than ! OUTPUT which is high at any time to operate the relay.
    An " Exclusive OR " will only allow 1 input at a time to OUTPUT a 1. Should two switches be on at the same time then the relay will not operate.
    So you have to first decide if you only want 1 switch to be on and the relay to operate. I am not up with the A320 operation so not sure what your switch combo logic has to be.
    You say there is a SIOC script written then there should be an output defined to meet the ' OR " conditions this output simply is connected to the relay module input and should operate according to the script.
    Hope this helps.
    Les

Thanks Les -- do you have any experience with the OC relay card?

http://www.opencockpits.com/catalog/...ml?cPath=21_38

It seems like it may be able to do the functions I would like with minimal fuss.

It can connect directly to the computer (drawing 5v), and SIOC scripts can be used to activate the relay. Is SIOC able to read FSUIPC offsets?

There will be several functions I would like to implement with the relay.

When the aircraft is energized (by battery, APU, engine power, or ext power), power will be supplied to the following components:

1. ATC/TCAS
    2. Rudder Trim
    3. Weather radar
    4. RMP
    5. ACP
    6. Clock
    7. FCU
    8. VOR/DME

That seems like quite a fair few....perhaps I should just hook up all the components to the corresponding 28 VDC power unit, and use the relay to turn on the power unit, instead of individually wiring the relay to the components.

In addition 28 V supply will be required for the A/P solenoid lock on the sidesticks - this will only turn on when autopilot is enabled, and a relay will have to drive this.

Hopefully all of this can be performed with the OC relay card?

The other alternative is the FDS-SYS-R1X card -- I believe this uses the Tekworkx interface software which has a GUI for entering the FSUIPC offsets and may be easier to use. The board however is more than $200 more than the OC relay card.

http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/c...t/fds-sys-r1x/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast