Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Non-Collimated Screen Inquiry

Hello,

I am building an indoor portable immersive virtual environment system for various applications.

Our system's screen is of horseshoe like shape, see attached. The curve is accomplished through two rungs (top and bottom) of bent 80/20 extruded aluminum. Since our system will be undergoing many teardowns and setups, I was looking at simplifying the projection screen setup by attaching the screen to the bent pieces through industrial strength velcro; I would sew the soft side of the velcro to the back of projector screen and attach the rough side to the bent aluminum via adhesive. The screen will be ~80'' tall and about ~25' long. The velcro is an attractive option because of the elimination of tension bungees/springs, its clean border look, and its anticipated easy attachment.

My questions are these:
    1) Has someone on this forum experimented with using velcro to attach projection screens to curved surfaces? If so, how did it work? Any advice or warnings before proceeding? I visited a screen supplier and was provided with a velcro backed screen sample (soft side sewn to screen). Using an adhesive, I attached the rough side to a straight piece of cardboard. For the small ~1'' wide velcro strip they provided, it had great tension properties. I started to stretch and deform the screen material before the velcro showed signs of ripping. However, I was only able to test a straight piece, so I am not sure how it will perform on curved frames.
    2) Is there someone who has built a portable cockpit system that would have some general advice on best practices for a portable setup for a screen and other components?
    3) What other methods do you use to attach your screens?

Thank you!

Dimensions in attached photo are in inches.
    Attached Images Attached Images