2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Running FMGS on a dedicated machine: SimConnect

http://www.soarbywire.com/2017/02/17...ne-simconnect/

There is a new feature with Jeehell FMGS version 46.0. If you take a look at the whatsnew.txt found in the FMGS install folder Jean Luc has listed this inconspicuous feature:

-Reworked installer package. Particularly, added an option to run FSX/P3D on a remote PC from FMGS server (seems to help reduce FPS hit in some cases)

This is huge — for the first time, the complete FMGS package can be run on a separate computer from FSX/P3D (visual generator). This simplifies the setup allowing you to dedicate a computer, or multiple computers with FSX/P3D without FMGS using any CPU cycles. We all know how CPU intensive FSX/P3D can be so running the program on another system is a fantastic option.

How do you run FMGS on a dedicated machine? Using simconnect (a feature of FSX/P3D) this is possible. There is a comprehensive step by step guide to setup Simconnect here. The instructions are overly detailed so I have decided to make a simple step by step guide to get SimConnect working on Windows 10, and Prepar3D:

• Install Simconnect on the FMGS and FSX/P3D computer. You can find the installer SimConnect.exe at the Prepar3D v3 Install Location\redist\Interface\FSX-SP2-XPACK\retail\lib folder.
    • On the P3D computer — go to the folder C:\Users\Your User Name\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3 and edit the file SimConnect.xml. Create the file with the following content:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>
    <SimBase.Document Type="SimConnect" version="1,0">
    <Descr>SimConnect Server Configuration</Descr>
    <Filename>SimConnect.xml</Filename>
    <Disabled>False</Disabled>

<SimConnect.Comm>
    <Protocol>Auto</Protocol>
    <Scope>local</Scope>
    </SimConnect.Comm>

<SimConnect.Comm>
    <Protocol>IPv4</Protocol>
    <Scope>global</Scope>
    <MaxClients>64</MaxClients>
    <Address>10.0.0.5</Address>
    <Port>9017</Port>
    </SimConnect.Comm>

</SimBase.Document>

Replace the ip <Address> field 10.0.0.5 with the address of the P3D computer. You will need to setup FMGS and the P3D computers with network static address for them to find each other.Use a port of your liking.

On the FMGS computer (the dedicated computer) create a file C:\Users\Your User Name\Documents\Simconnect.cfg

In the config file you will need to have the following:

[SimConnect]
    Protocol=IPv4
    Address=10.0.0.5
    Port=9017
    MaxReceiveSize=4096
    DisableNagle=0
    Again switch out the ip address field for your P3D computer, and the port number for the one you specified in SimConnect.xml.

Setup FMGS\Configure.exe on both computers specifying the ip address of the computer running FMGS server, and the computer running FSX/P3D.

Thats it! You no longer have to deal with a remote USB or any other programs because FMGS is smart enough to translate all elevator, aileron, and rudder input axis remotely to your visual generator over the network.

The Flight Simulator (Feb 2017) now runs on a dedicated FMGS computer – an Intel 2500k processor overclocked to 4.0 Ghz. The computer is able to simultaneously run 3 LCD displays, an MCDU, Interface Board, and Joystick boards which handle the push buttons on the pedestal and sidestick commands. P3D runs on another computer over the network.
    Soarbywire - Airbus Flight Simulation and Engineering | Jeehell FMGS - Free professional A320 avionics software for the cockpit enthusiast.

2. Thanks cmdr114b thanked for this post
    75+ Posting Member

Re: Running FMGS on a dedicated machine: SimConnect

Well that could not have come at a more opportune moment, I have been thinking about how to run my FMGS server.
    So thank you for that information.

This is work in progress for me but I think it's coming together and I now have the server talking to P3D thanks to you.
    John

Yes the feature has simplified my setup greatly. I can now leave all the system components on one computer and will be planning to upgrade the visual generator - P3D to an AMD Ryzen soon
    Soarbywire - Airbus Flight Simulation and Engineering | Jeehell FMGS - Free professional A320 avionics software for the cockpit enthusiast.

75+ Posting Member

Looking at my main PC processor usage, it was using about 97% with everything on the one machine.
    Spitting them off has cut that down to around 46% and the frame rate has gone from about 20 to 41 at rest so well worth doing.

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level

I'm following the steps without exit, using FSX. What jeehell components we should install on sim computer, we should start also jeheell there?
    Thanks in advance

You don't need to run Jeehell components on the visual computer. Just make sure you have simconnect installed and the files configured.