Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

[Helicopter] Bo-105 Windshield

Dear community,

this is my first post here and I am asking a question on behalf of my friend who is currently part of a Bölkow-105 simulator project. He has so far got an entire airframe for the simulator. However, the previous owner had to remove the right hand glareshield due to damage (see picture). This has been covered with a layer of black leather.

I have attached a photo of the current situation. So far monitors have been attached and some basic flight controls, which are to be enhanced later on. The problem here is that there isn't any space for an entire panel to be placed into the airframe, since the monitors are so low. Therefore he would like to place them outside of the helicopter, on the other side of the windshield. He can't use a beamer since the helicopter will be transported around the country, meaning that it might also have to be stored outdoors, obviously covered with a plastic cover or similar. Therefore there shouldn't be too many electronics outside the airframe or if there are any, they should be easily removable.

He is now in a limbo as he has to replace the missing windshield, however original spares are approx. $3000 which is rather pricey. We thought about having two acrylic glass/plexiglass windshields manufactured which have a more bubble-like curvature and would allow the monitors to be mounted higher up inside the cockpit, therefore creating space for the instrument panel. Although this would mean having to raise the metal structure in between the two windshields. Another option would be to bite the bullet and buy the replacement windshield, however this would only be an option if there is no other viable alternative.

What do you guys think? Should we stick to the idea of having a custom-made windshield or do you have any other ideas to add?

I would like to mention that the outer appearance of the helicopter doesn't have to be authentic, as long as it can still be identified as a helicopter.

Thank you in advance.

Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images