Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: Making a cockpit frame with MDF

Hi Hypnorm -- I could potentially be interested in your support system Please share some pictures when the big one is up and running -- the test will come when you mount your overhead up above. Cheers.

Ben
    Soarbywire - Airbus Flight Simulation and Engineering | Jeehell FMGS - Free professional A320 avionics software for the cockpit enthusiast.

25+ Posting Member

Hi again,

I haven't been able to make time to get the 9mm elements laser cut yet, but I do have a small update.

I glued the laminar elements of the 3mm version into GluLam structures and they are very strong indeed. I have no doubt that the 9mm version will be robust enough to support a full overhead and to build a proper shell around.

Watch this space

H

25+ Posting Member

Ok ..... another update

Having looked at how my new frame might fit with my existing cabinetry, I realised that it wouldn't!!!!

So I bit the bullet and have redesigned my cockpit frame from the ground up.

The sketchup files I have designed give me 173 pieces of MDF that make up the frame Including overhead), a complete floor, MIP, glareshield, sideboxes (where the joystick/tiller are) and seat boxes (for getting the seat to the right height and position). Everything is tabbed and slotted and all the elements that sit on the floor have anchoring points cut out of the floor plates.

It equates to 6 x 900x1200 6mm MDF sheets for the floor and 22 x 900x1200 9mm MDF sheets for the structural elements. It needs access to a high power laser cutter with a large bed. The cost is fairly substantial, but I think it will give an excellent base. The footprint is 2650mm wide x 2370mm deep and 1800mm high - so it requires a fair amount of space. All parts are numbers and coded properly.

To ensure that it does indeed fit together, I will make another 1/3 size prototype of the whole cockpit. I should get that done in the next week or so. I will post progress pics as it goes together. At that stage, I'll put the files up in the library.

Assuming it does behave itself, I will then start cutting the full size panels, which is likely to take a few weeks.

Stay tuned

H

4. Thanks petersm99 thanked for this post
    25+ Posting Member

Hi again,

I managed to get the pieces cut for the 1/3 scale prototype. I have put it together and I'm really pleased with it (apart from the couple of measurement mistakes I made - but that's why we prototype, right?)

Here are some pics of the process.

The parts on the laser cutter bed

The floor plates laid

Now the seat boxes go on

And the sidestick/tiller boxes

The MIP cabinetry

The back shelf for the screens

The Glareshield base and supporting frame goes on

And the whole ensemble

From the front.

I am now quite confident that it will all fit together full size and be robust and strong. If I was to buy new panels, I would need 6 sheets of 900mm x 1200mm x 6mm MDF and 22 sheets of 900mm x 1200mm x 9mm MDF. This will cost me about $500 Australian, which is quite expensive but gives a lot for the money. I will probably buy it a few sheets a week as I will also need to find the time to get it cut.

I am in the process of writing a construction guide (think of it as a 173-piece 3D jigsaw where a lot of the pieces look very similar) and will zip the lot up and place it in the file repository for any one who is interested.

Cheers,

H
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 0.jpg (87.8 KB, 147 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (64.1 KB, 142 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (66.3 KB, 140 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (72.8 KB, 139 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (79.9 KB, 140 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (74.2 KB, 143 views)
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (88.3 KB, 146 views)
    • File Type: jpg 7.jpg (78.1 KB, 142 views)
    • File Type: jpg 8.jpg (90.6 KB, 147 views)

Wow, I'm really impressed, this looks fantastic and something I may have interest in purchasing from you if you will be going ahead with full size plans.

I will however be using genuine parts and they are heavy, so I am not too sure if the overhead will hold with MDF.

Well done
    Soarbywire - Airbus Flight Simulation and Engineering | Jeehell FMGS - Free professional A320 avionics software for the cockpit enthusiast.

500+ This must be a daytime job

Well done and thanks for the monumental effort.
    Les

25+ Posting Member

I'm happy to make the plans available without charge for anyone who is interested.

You are probably correct that the weakest point of the frame will be the support at the front edge of the top ring that goes down to the back of the glareshield. The GluLam MDF structural elements are very strong and I would think they would hold up. I have already thought of a support improvement at the back edge - it currently sits in a slot on the TV shelf, but I could extend it down to the bottom ring which is a GluLam element slotted into the MIP cabinetry and will support a lot of weight.

The joint between the top ring and the support element going forward/down is the weakest point, but could be reinforced with angle brackets.

Do you have any idea of the weight of your completed overhead? When I build it, I will attempt to gauge it weight-bearing abilities

H

150+ Forum Groupie

Excellent job!

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnorm View Post

Do you have any idea of the weight of your completed overhead? When I build it, I will attempt to gauge it weight-bearing abilities

H
    I have to reweigh it but I think at least 30 kg with the forward and aft overhead. Then you have to consider the overhead frame (DZUS rails). I assume it will need to support at least 40 kg at bare minimum.

25+ Posting Member

Gee!!! 40kg is a lot!!!!

I would say without building it and testing that the GluLam would hold it no problem. The issue is with that joint, which is probably the weakest part of the whole structure. There is a change of plane here and so it's just a glued push fit. Even braced with brackets, I don't know if I'd trust my expensive overhead to a few bits of MDF.

Looking at it - the only way I can working would be to
    a) Run a suspension cable from the ceiling above down to that joint
    or
    b) Build a 3 piece frame (like a wide door frame) outside the existing frame out of angle iron or something strong and support the joint with a hanger.

It'll take me a couple of weeks to build up to that stage - I'll let you know my thoughts then

BTW - I'm very jealous of you having access to authentic parts.

H

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast