Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Building a jet cockpit

Hi
    Im just wondering whether anyone could tell me whether it would be possible to build a jet cockpit, maybe a f16 or f19 ( preferably)
    Ive just won Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog + MFD Cougar Pack of virtual red arrows which has pleased me so much, and i was thinking whether i could maybe use these and build a cockpit,
    But being 15 i dont have a clue what to do!!,
    Where do i start?
    Thanks
    Mike

Re: Building a jet cockpit

The F19 never existed, it was a fictional fighter for a computer game, so it might be hard to build this cockpit . For F-16 there is a specialized forum at www.viperpits.org. Those guys build F-16 and other fighter pits in perfection and some of them make stuff, like panels or so.
    However, if you want any decent home cockpit, your investment will pretty quickly go into thousands of pounds and not much less hours of work. And having good knowledge of electronics might not be necessary (you can buy almost everything plug'n'play) but it certainly helps to save at least a little bit of money.

I really don't want to discourage you but I think you should be aware of what you are getting yourself into .
    Stefan's little Flightgear corner | The Finnish Weather Center
    COM: IAX2:k-tanco.louhen-sudet.fi/stefan (MO-FR 0700-2000 UTC, SA+SU 0900-2000 UTC)

Quote Originally Posted by jawskk View Post
    Hi
    Im just wondering whether anyone could tell me whether it would be possible to build a jet cockpit, maybe a f16 or f19 ( preferably)
    Ive just won Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog + MFD Cougar Pack of virtual red arrows which has pleased me so much, and i was thinking whether i could maybe use these and build a cockpit,
    But being 15 i dont have a clue what to do!!,
    Where do i start?
    Thanks
    Mike
    Mike,
    Of course it is possible, it can be as simple as a wooden frame with a few monitors behind to as complex as every switch and knob fully working.
    It can get costly and dont expect to be finished this time next week.
    You have started in the right place and I am sure that someone with a lit more knowledge than me will chip in soon.
    Whereabouts in the uk are you?
    Allan

Thanks,
    and im in Spalding, Lincolnshire
    Im thinking to build the cockpit shape out of plywood and maybe build the canopy out of some bendy sheets of clear plastic, not fully sure yet, might have to look through our engineering lab at school today :L
    Thanks
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by jawskk View Post
    Thanks,
    and im in Spalding, Lincolnshire
    Im thinking to build the cockpit shape out of plywood and maybe build the canopy out of some bendy sheets of clear plastic, not fully sure yet, might have to look through our engineering lab at school today :L
    Thanks
    Mike
    Hi, A few more things to consider.
    Dont build a thing for a few weeks, do loads of research and get a picture in your mind of what you want to achieve. This will save you time in the long run.
    I doubt there is a single person here who is fully happy with there first build, I am on my second but I think I am on the right track.
    You have also chosen a beast of a project. Most of us old farts build a boeing 737 or cessna because parts are readily available.
    Also dont be overwhelmed by some of the projects you see on here. I was at first but now, after a years build, I am very happy with my sim.
    Cant you do it as a technology project in school, that way maybe the school will give you the materials for free.
    Allan.

300+ Forum Addict

Mike,
    Here's some "Getting started" material with a lot of links to useful information: http://www.mikesflightdeck.com/getti.../starting.html

thats seems a good idea about the project, i was wondering whether you could tell me about the screens,
    I was thinking during school about whether i could get a view that goes all the way around? or can i only have one screen infront?
    Thanks
    Mike

Mike,
    At your stage I wouldn't even think about a wrap around screen, that is a whole new project in itself.
    Many people use 3 projectors with Wideview- but for that you need 3 computers, obviously 3 projectors and an expensive piece of software to stitch it together seemlessly. So if you have £5,000 under the pillow then go for it.
    At the moment I use 3 x 24" monitors for my forward view - set up using eyefinity. I am going to upgrade to 3 lcd tvs in the next few weeks when my build is complete.
    Just concentrate on the build, using a single monitor for the forward view at present and worry about the "proper" visuals later.
    It is a long road and although it is good to think ahead - if you think too far ahead you will get fed up with how much time and money it is going to cost.
    Allan.

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor

Personally If I was you building this, I would save up and buy a racing seat or bucket seat and then build around that. It would be cheap to build and would look really impressive given time and thought.

Here's a bucket seat on ebay for under £100

I would then build some sort of column where you would mount your control stick in front of you and then mount the throttle to the side. Maybe a local welder could weld you a frame to mount the seat and controls too. Then just add pedals and away you go. Maybe add a triple screen visual using small 17" lcd monitors using a triplehead2go. Or just use an 32" lcd telly which you can bag cheap these days.

Infact our very own WestOzy has already done this:

Think small, then get bigger, add more parts, then rip some out, its how a home build sim evolves!

Good luck!
    Last edited by CessnaGuy; 02-20-2012 at 04:43 PM.
    GA or the Highway!

thats a brilliant idea!!! might well do that
    any chance of a motion plate aswell?? i jk lol ,
    way to expensive thinking i know
    thanks alot!! gunna do this!!
    Mike