Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Question Which plane To build? 737,747, 777, 787 ?

Hi, I was wondering what model simulator you chose to build and why? It seems that most people choose the 737 due to availability of parts and because it's fun to fly.

Was wondering about the 777, 747, 787 though. I've only ever flown a 737ng personally and it was great, however I don't know any better either.

10+ Posting Member

Re: Which plane To build? 737,747, 777, 787 ?

About parts... nowadays you can practically make or buy anything. I don't know why the 737NG is really so popular between cockpit builders, but I was told that it is because of the availability of the parts.

We have chosen none of the Big jets above, for many people GA is boring or "not fun enough" as in the big jets. If I have to be honest, I love both big and small aircrafts, especially props. Why we chose the DA42? It's efficient, simple, G1000 cockpit was new for us so why not learn it? those where the biggest factors. As for the big jets, there will be better opportunities in future to build one

3. Thanks Alanc thanked for this post
    Likes Alanc liked this post
    1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor

I think the bigger jets are getting easier and cheaper to build as time goes on, more plans and drawings are available, more home users are building now, 3d printers are very cheap, and laser/cnc cutting is as common as a handsaw now. Technology is cheaper, especially with the boom and popularity of arduino which can get displays up and running very cheaply with free software. Anythings possible, just depends how far you want to go. Once apon a time, when I first started this hobby, and I first saw a 737 cockpit in someones garage that they had built, i thought 'wow' thats amazing. But to be honest, its not 'so' amazing anymore as pretty much every cockpit builder is building one, so me personally, I went for the A320! But then again the airline I handle, only has A320's (A319's in fact) so it made total sense for me to build one. Go with your instinct and build what inspires 'you' not what others are building. The passion of a plane is from within, and eventually it will take over you (your time and wallet).

Good luck!
    Last edited by CessnaGuy; 09-07-2016 at 06:09 AM.
    GA or the Highway!

5. Thanks Alanc thanked for this post
    25+ Posting Member

I think, a major factor to consider is the software,
    available and aimed especially to cockpit building,
    And when I say that, I mean – an add on airplane,
    in which all functions of the systems are emulated, and
    most importantly - those functions are extracted and provided as
    FSUIPC or Simconnect extractions by the vendor. And there are not
    many such addons out there – so far there is ProSim737, PM, and Jeehell for
    A320.
    And to the best of my knowledge – there is not a single one, aimed to GA planes.
    If you choose to build around an add on plane, where all the functions are accurately
    emulated within the flight sim, but not extracted via FSUIPC or SimConnect, then you find your self using certain programs “sniffing” to catch L_Variables , used by
    the product programmer within its C –gauges programming. In most cases -you can
    find variables for most but not all functions . As an example – if you build around PMDG 737/747, F1 –Atr72, A2A Cessna’s , etc. Recently there was a gentleman here, complaining about not being able to extract display readings from A2A Cessna Bendix King Radios. Then as a builder you end up within a situation , where you need to program the gauge in C within the flight sim , assign and extract variables via free FSUIPC offsets and at the end of the day – that’s an awful lot of advanced programming. Alternatively – you could buy some ready made ,over-priced, but otherwise – properly looking and functioning gauges, where the vendor did the internal sim C programming , plus extractions, plus embedded programming and design - 350 euros for DME module, 400 euros for transponder , etc, etc – most certainly not my cup of beer and neither most general public cockpit builder’s choice .

Another major factor to consider is whether you could use monitors behind dashboard to display accurate looking gauges at their exact place. You couldn’t do
    that for a cessna172 , unless there is a monitor with a big hole in the center, allowing
    to stick the yoke shaft trough it .
    And the third most important factor is whether the airplane you building is the “Heavy Metal “ old stile with a lot of mechanical steam gauges. Then you need to do
    some Atmel’s or Pic’s embedded programming in order to drive steppers an servos,
    or again – end up buying over- priced –readily available gauges on the market. – 450 euros for an Altimeter – WOW!
    There are such tales to be told, but the time and space are limited.
    Take Care
    Regards.

7. Thanks Alanc thanked for this post

A huge thank you to all of you, I've decided on the 737ng.

Apart from all of the reasons you mentioned above, also due to the fact that although I'm looking at commercial planes, I would like a sim that is not too automated and that is still fun to fly.

once again, cheers!

75+ Posting Member

Alanc

I went/ am going the 737 route..I just found myself flying it more than any other plane a real joy to play with!
    (dare I recommend a plane/software??)
    As noted above its all getting easier to make..I have a 3D printer and a laser machine and with those two and a LOT of time to make good drawings there's little you cannot make....

John
    Old, tired & broke (shouldn't be allowed out really)

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    Alanc

I went/ am going the 737 route..I just found myself flying it more than any other plane a real joy to play with!
    (dare I recommend a plane/software??)
    As noted above its all getting easier to make..I have a 3D printer and a laser machine and with those two and a LOT of time to make good drawings there's little you cannot make....

John
    Thank you John, today i am working on the PC specs.

With regards to Software i chose p3d, with the 737 PMDG model.

Once the software is working perfectly will start looking into projectors / cockpit.

Any recommendations welcome

75+ Posting Member

HI Alanc

Thought I have around 80% of the whole cockpit made it is all in bubble wrap as the house is up for sale so no sim
    I too will be going the projector route (they are in bubble wrap too LOL). I have not ventured to P3D yet but have a feeling I might.
    I use the iFly 737 and love it also a VERY clever guy (Jouni) had written some free (to registered users)software to give us very easy access and use of ALL the aircraft.
    I also use FSBUS for 99% of the interfacing. I chose this as its real DIY!!
    Although the situation is improving the commercial stuff is still awfully expensive.....and I think there's more fun in making something as there is in buying it .. Just my 2 penneth!

John
    Old, tired & broke (shouldn't be allowed out really)

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim

Some friendly advice from someone that previously went from the 737 build to an A320 --

With the 737 --
    I struggled with the concept of building a dual link yoke -- not easy! You will also not be able to simulate the correct force feedback (your sticks remain idle unless you have human input), unless you have the expertise to implement a motorized yoke. With the airbus you have flybywire sidesticks (i.e. joysticks) which can be directly attached to the computer.

You have to motorize the trim wheel, throttle levers, and speedbrake on the 737 -- again, not easy! With the airbus you only need to motorize the trim.

Solenoid switches -- I've lost count, but I think there are a few on the 737 overhead and the MCP -- these switches are not 'budget' friendly.

You are right about more parts available and established software (Sim Avionics, Prosim737, etc) but that is changing with the Airbus -- more vendors are on the market, and expanding. The software is improving (Jeehell FMGS, and the soon to be released Prosim Airbus, FSL A320x)

You should build what you love -- I switched from a practical stand point....too many 737 builds out there anyway
    Soarbywire - Airbus Flight Simulation and Engineering | Jeehell FMGS - Free professional A320 avionics software for the cockpit enthusiast.

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor

Read the FCOM manuals for both aircraft before you decide! It will certainly aid your decision!
    GA or the Highway!