75+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Sim Setup with jeehell

So I know this is the Jeehell forum, but I have a few questions on the setup of the sim and would like some input, especially from A320 builders and Jeehell users. I am trying to build a full enclosed cockpit in a small room, so far it is working great, I think I have enough room to even throw a curved screen. The questions I have are, how have you guys setup your computers? what I mean is, I am planning on creating some shelves in the back and mounting the 4 computers there which I think its the most reasonable place to put them, but what about the interface cards? do you guys recommend doing a single area with interface cards and running cables to each area of the sim? (seems like a lot of cable) or the way I have it planned each section will have its own interface cards, such as the MIP will have the cards it needs, the Pedestal and the overhead too. This seems like the best way to position them, but brings me to another question. Do you guys use USB extender cables to reach each part of the sim interface cards from the computers? does it not affect the performance of the usb cables? or what is the best method to do it?
    Attached is a not-to-scale pic of the setup.

Jose
    Attached Images Attached Images

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim

Re: Sim Setup with jeehell

I am running off 2 computers right now, 1 for the visuals (FSX/P3D), and one for avionics (FMGS) -- I've reduce the computers to be more green and simplify the setup.

For the pedestal and MIP you can use one I/O board such as the FDS-SYS3 -- this supports all the adequate inputs and outputs that you need. In addition I am using a leobodnar joystick board for all the control surfaces (sidestick, tiller, spoilers) because the FDS-SYS board (or most I/O boards I believe) do not support potentiometers (axis control). Some of the screen dimming functions (upper ecam, lower ecam, PFD, ND) also require an axis to function.

Note that joystick axis control such as the elevators, and ailerons of the aircraft *must* be connected directly to the computer running FSX/P3D (usually the server computer). There are also remote USB programs which you can use but they are payware.
    Soarbywire - Airbus Flight Simulation and Engineering | Jeehell FMGS - Free professional A320 avionics software for the cockpit enthusiast.

75+ Posting Member

Omni,

Thank you so much for the reply, as of right now I have a bunch of Opencockpits cards for the pedestal and the MIP. If I do decide to move, lets say, to FDS cards, the SYS-3 for example, what do you recommend I use for radio 7-segment displays? as well as transponder and rudder trim 7-segments? and what about rotary encoders? use Bodnar cards? and the last bit for the MIP what do you recommend to use for the pots for the brightness of the ND and PFD?
    Do you have just a combination of FDS, leobodnar and opencockpits maybe?

Jose

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim

I have not wired up displays yet. Others in the community have used OC boards for the displays. The Bodnar cards I believe has a rotary encoder function.

For pots PFD ND I haven't wired it up but you can use any joystick axis, or a Leo Bodnar board.

Right now I am just using an FDS-SYS3 board and Leobodnar for the MIP and Pedestal function.

The other I/O system to watch out for is SimStacks -- right now only compatible with PSX but they should be implementing FSUIPC (and therefore FMGS should work) function soon.
    Soarbywire - Airbus Flight Simulation and Engineering | Jeehell FMGS - Free professional A320 avionics software for the cockpit enthusiast.

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor

Hi.

A simulator build like which you plan to do requires the utmost planning and organisation, and its great that you are thinking about this.

Most of the sims I have seen, have a side stack, some are placed on the floor behind the MIP itself, and the odd few are to the rear of the sim. It comes down to preference, there are no rules where you place your computers, but it does sound logical to keep them close to where you actually need them hence minimising wiring lengths which prevents exposure to interference. Its not good to have cables longer then they should really, keeps your sim more organised, easier to maintain, and more importantly power on and off.

To turn your sim on and off, do you want to have to reach behind and turn them on individually, or have them all in one convenient place so you can turn them on all in one hit.

Its all down to organisation and the end of the day. Id go for a side stack personally, but its all down to preference, requirements and needs of your sim. Every sim is unique and not 2 are the same. So there are no rules, but I personally think you can answer your own question here.

Regards,

Alex
    GA or the Highway!

6. Likes turbovela liked this post
    150+ Forum Groupie

For my 7 digit displays I use Open cockpits Display cards, no problems.
    For encoders I use Leo Bodnar Button Box Interface.
    I use Sys 1 (overhead) and Sys 3 (MIP) for most inputs and outputs but the OC Master cards provide some extra inputs.
    For a full cockpit I think 3 PC's are minimum, 1 for Flight sim and minimum other programs. Two MCDU's means two computers. Rest can be spread around these two. I actually run with 4 as I give the co-pilot one all to himself for nav, charts, comms etc.
    Hope this helps
    Barry
    www,a320sim.com