Thread: My Huey Build

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

My Huey Build

Hey gents, just wanted to share my progress on my uh-1h Huey for dcs. It seems like heli builds are hard to come across in these forums lol. I picked up a real instrument panel and glareshield from a boneyard in California and somehow made it functional! I am using two 22" 16:10 monitors to display the gauges using Helios. So far it's starting to come together nicely. I still need to add a few caution lights, toggle switches and lastly the instrument bezels but the most of the work is done. I'm not sure how far I wanna push this build but I might even build a fuselage...but I guess time will tell! As you all know....the cockpit building never truly ends..their is always something that can be improved!

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Thanks No Longer Active thanked for this post
    150+ Forum Groupie

Re: My Huey Build

Sweet, a heli build! Looking nice so far. The monitor-behind-panels trick is tried and true, actually the level 6 FTD Eurocopter I flew at FlightSafety was set up exactly the same way.

What sim software are you planning on using? I can tell you the X-Plane heli model is nothing short of jaw-dropping.

I got a chance to wrench on a full-scale Huey this year for static display. Managed to get primary DC and AC power (the remaining rotary inverter actually worked). We're thinking of turning it into a mobile sim for public events and such. A guy in Europe (Germany, as I recall) has a full-scale Huey cockpit that he's turned into a sim, looks pretty amazing....he's on Facebook, maybe some ideas for you?

I'd love to see more heli sims, actually have an idea for one in the back of my head. Am I correct in assuming you made the collective by mechanically linking to a COTS throttle unit?

Matt

4. Likes W9XE/Project777 liked this post

Thanks Matt! I built this primarily for the DCS Huey as the flight physics are one of the best out there. I just got back into swimming after taking a 7 yrs hiatus. Previously I was strictly a fsx dodosim guy but a few gents on some heli Facebook pages were telling me that dream foil on the Xplane side make some awesome helis. So I might have to give them a shot! I absolutely love everything about the Huey but the good thing with my pit is that it's modular!.....instrument panel and glareshield are literally placed over the monitors....so it takes all of 5 second to remove it and place another panel for different aircraft . I plan on making a panel for the chinook and Blackhawk. Helios is really the way to go imho...especially if you love flying different helicopters.

I am working with a few folks over at the dcs forums on providing the community with free cnc files and PDF templates of the main instrument panel. I spent 3 hours at our local museum a couple months ago and took measurements of just about everything in that cockpit. The folks over at lynx plan to sell all the Huey panels, instrument bezels and eventually the controls. I can definitely keep you posted once the files are available to download.

but I agree, there aren't many heli cockpit builders out there. I wish there was templates and items out their for us rotorheads but hopefully I can help get the ball rolling with these Huey templates

6. Likes W9XE/Project777 liked this post
    Administrator

I am a little behind on reading the forum and just came across your post Kornskydiver.

I first started to build a JetRanger sim years ago when I first got interested. I wanted to do the Huey since I was in the USAF as a HH-1H Flight Mechanic at Whiteman AFB, in Missouri. Have a lot of time in the airframe and love the 2 blade pop noise you can hear long before seeing the aircraft. I collected both Huey parts and some JetRanger parts since the JetRanger panel is much smaller. I still have them but haven't decided if I will build a single seat helo alone side the B777 FlightDeck Solutions JetMax I plan to purchase.

I would also like to see more helicopter sim's especially since the software has come a long way. Just last week I looked at some new helo software out for X-Plane. The attention to detail is unbelievable. I haven't looked at the DCS Huey but I will do some looking.

If you would like to contact me more about the Huey email me at larry@project777.net My web is years behind, a project I need to work on soon. With work and another hobby Amateur Radio FS has taken a back seat. As I get closer to retirement age the sim project will be advancing in the future.

Larry
    W9XE

8. Thanks Kornskydiver thanked for this post