Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Cessna Citation Cockpit

Hello everyone,

after showing it in some german forums, I decided to share it with you as well.

What this topic is about ? About a completely self-build Cessna Citation cockpit, which is work in progress.

The project began in the end of February and took until now about 400 – 500 hrs.

It all started with hours and hours of studying which type, what equipment and so on.
    Thereafter I had to draw everything myself, as there is absolutly nothing you can base your work on.

This is a little overview of the drawings.

Of course there are a lot more drawings, I'm having a folder full of them and a lot more saved on my computer.

What you can see here is a drawing in my CAM software. The sense of this software is to make a program for the cnc machine out of the drawing.

For everyone who is thinking about building: I used Polycarbonat for this project, which is a quite fantastic material!

For the project I have currently access to two cnc machines: One „small“ one, which is owned by a friend of mine in Berlin. That's this one:

And the „big“ one, which is mainly used to make the larger parts and panels.

This is one of the best moments: Getting your finished parts out of the machine!

And then it was all about milling, milling and milling. This can be quite cool to watch, but if something does not work, it's pure stress.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5NR3Days3s

One.

Two

Three

Four

The fifth part is currently WIP, of which I have no picture.

Then the painting started, take care when painting Polycarbonat, it needs a special primer!

Priming:

White is not what the citation looks like, so make it gray

And this is when the wiring started:

I know, there shouldnt be my Twix ??? :

This is how it looked like after about 4 hrs. Nowadays it's about 30 to 40 metres cable only within this panel.

Engraving started. Something new for me, so it all started with a lot of tests. When the cnc machine was build, noone took it that precise. So it took me one day to make it as precise as 1/20 mm.

And these are the moments, when you realize the whole work is worth it. When I first saw it, I was a kind of speechless

Started with making the plates behind the plates. Its all about backlightning, instruments and so on.

First test

And this is how it looked like after about 6 months Quite awesome to see, and the first time I was absolutlely speechless. Never thought it would look like this.

Most of the pictures here were just made with my mobile phone, so I'm sorry for the bad quality.

Regards
    Philipp

MyCockpit Support Staff dodiano's Avatar

Re: Cessna Citation Cockpit

Nice project!!!

25+ Posting Member

Hello Philip,
    You have done quite amazing panel. Have you used opal white polycarbonate, or transparent, painted white and then in grey colour on top .
    If so, then what You have achieved, impresses me ever more. (To remove only one layer of paint, not touching white one below with a mechanical CNC router is more than amazing.)
    Have you used any Plexy ( PMMA) at all - for example- for the parts, needing more precise engraving with laser?
    One more time - Well done!
    Regards.
    Zlatko

10+ Posting Member

Hi Philipp,

This is a very inspiring project! I admire your results!
    I hope to see more updates in future

Regards