Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Hello from Tasmania Australia!! Has anyone got some pointers on how to plan my 180 fov curved screen?

Hi guys, my name is Luke and I have been a fan of Falcon BMS for a number of years, but always on a single flat screen monitor.

I have seen many youtube videos of what is possible with projectors and curved screens and would like to head down that path. I really want to achieve as close to a 180 degree field of view as possible to create the feeling of total immersion. Space is not too much of an issue so I would like to make the screen relatively big ( I have a room with 3 x by 4.5 meters) but I am really unsure on what dimensions the curve would need to be. I want to create as much horizontal and vertical field of view as possible without sacrificing the ability to actually read instruments on the screen.

I currently run a 40inch lcd 1920x1080 tv for my main display and a 24inch touch screen (through Helios software) to display and control my instruments. I would like to keep the 24inch display and mount it in front of the new curved screen and with this in mind I am guessing I am able to 'push out' the in game field of view and rely more heavily on the touchscreen display which would be closer to my eyes than the curved screen but am unsure if this is a good idea?

My budget will allow me at this point to buy two 1920x1080 short throw projectors (not sure which ones) and without a great idea on how to plan the screen at this point I am not sure of an expected cost on this part.

I wonder if anyone has any plans or ideas on what I should be considering when I plan my screen dimensions? Is 180 degrees too much to expect from two projectors? I have a known distance from wall to wall (between 2 and 3 meters) but am unsure if I should try to make the screen a 180 degree arc or something shallower like 130? I have seen the screens over at Viperpits.com (see attached photos) and they are the sort of thing I want to go for however I can't justify the cost when I have to also ship them to Tasmania! Luckily I am a carpenter and have friends in metal engineering so I thought maybe I could do the hard work myself.

If anyone has pointers on:

Dimensions I should use

and

Screen material to use

It would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks guys
    Attached Images Attached Images

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: Hello from Tasmania Australia!! Has anyone got some pointers on how to plan my 180 fov curved screen?

I have seen others successfully carrying this out using a single piece of sheet metal painted white and then curved across three fixed posts.